Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2020, 04:18 AM   #43

Size doesn’t matter if you know what you’re doing, very true.
I started out camping with a 78 one ton SRW truck camper 454 bucket seats with walk-thru cab.
Then 93 4wd crew p/u with 35’ 5ver, Wisconsin to Alaska several times.
Then 2002 2500 4wd with 24’ TT
Then 95 28’ classA, with 25’ flatbed.
Now 2007 crewcab Kodiak c4500 DRW 6.6 duramax Monroe conversion , 38rls(41ft) Alfa see ya triaxle (low to the ground)
Contemplating E250 van with TT. OR maybe a truck camper on the 4500.
Only one negative incident with the Alfa in a gas stop with wonky pavement not level, pinched box and 5ver. No two ! Got in a full, old rest stop at night... making a right into a slot caught the lip of the rear cap on a semi dry van rear hinge by one inch, ( making the swing the tail end swung left����*♀️, pulled the cap loose, ouch !)
The classA was nice in NP as some only allow 28’, like Saguaro, and Bison Ridge wher I had to unhook trailer to go scenic.

One aspect not related to in this thread is ground clearance. Our triaxle is low(axles on top of springs) When pulling into property in Mobile Alabama the rear end bottomed out in driveway but at least didn’t peel the rear cap off ... Hurricane Sally finished off the Alfa.��
So I caution the OP height and also ground clearance in relation to the grade. And a triaxle will be rougher on 5ver tires particularly when maneuvering in n out of close quarters.
And make sure you have enough truck, (yeah right a half ton can pull it in a school yard)
But not in a crosswind in Wyoming, or up and down the mountains with toy truck brakes.
That’s why I LOVE the Kodiak! And the Kodiak will turn circles around 3500s, great turning radius. Dually wheels with a 40’ is simply safer.

I smoked the brakes on classA coming into Jackson Hole from Idaho Falls, didn’t ruin them but smelled them. Busted trailer rear spring sets in town potholes just before the eclipse.
Never got hot brakes with Kodiak.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2020, 06:26 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.B. View Post
Nope!

Started with a 22.5 foot, graduated to a 36 foot, then to current 40 foot.

Wouldn't give up my 40 footer.

In the last 8 years only had trouble getting into site #21E at Pike Lake State Campground in Hartford WI.

That was caused by narrow road and a tree placed where the front of the truck had to swing to jackknife in.

Took an extra forward and back to get in.

Camp host came over from across the street and stated "never seen anyone back a rig that big in there".

C.B.

Sign me up for lessons. With my 35' fifth wheel + crew cab long bed I have some challenges that I did not have with my previous 41' motorhome.
Irvwith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #45

My first RV is a 43' 5er, I was looking for one 38 to 40 and fond this one new after the RV show and at 45% off list I couldn't pass it up. I can't go into most forest service campgrounds and I am too long for a lot of the smaller private ones. I stayed at a really nice CG in St George UT and wanted to stay again on my return home the next weekend but all the 40+ sites were all sold out due to a special event the next weekend (Senior Games). If I had a 39' I could have stayed again. My next one will be 39' to 35'. Just something to keep in mind!
CoMaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidinTodd View Post
Looking for feedback from those who have bigger 5th wheels. This is our first and we are looking at a 40 foot Arctic Fox.
Questions:
While on the road, is it difficult to find places that take 5th wheels this big?
Are these meant for parking and living in or traveling in?
Are they difficult to maneuver?
Just curious what your experience is. Thank you!
I have a 42 ft Solitude and love it. It doesn't tow as well as our previous 36 ft Cedar Creek, but we love the floorplan and storage.

350/3500 DRW truck minimum for that size 5th wheel.

Also, watch this video. Helped me tremendously with my backup skills!

https://youtu.be/p1B5d_K2__4

Good luck and have fun!!
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #47

40' 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvwith2 View Post
Sign me up for lessons. With my 35' fifth wheel + crew cab long bed I have some challenges that I did not have with my previous 41' motorhome.

Key is practice, practice, practice!

After driving 4 ton to 30 ton tow trucks for 40 plus years it's gotten a little easier.

C.B.
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
R U going to live in it or camp in it? makes a big difference. If you live in it get the biggest one you are comfortable with as the Walls will shrink eventually.
asherdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #49

Pulled 40' since 1997

A couple of comments in no particular order. . . .

1) Be aware of your turning radius and how the need to make wider RH Turns
2) Cross winds can be disconcerting. We have pulled through 70 mph cross winds by taking our time and slowing down.
3) Ice and snow - the weight and length can be your friend and or your worse enemy. Slow down and look way ahead. We have pulled through countless ice and snow storms. Know when to park it, climb into the 5ver, turn on the gen set and open your favorite adult beverage and relax. The roads will be opened and available a lot sooner than a wrecked RV or tow vehicle.
4) Weight. Your combined weight will be a significant issue. You will need to learn how to look ahead, much further down the road to anticipate issues.
5) Practice driving the tow vehicle and trailer with the trailer brakes not functioning. Find a really isolated section of road and simulate both city driving and highway driving. This way you will know what it feels like to stop the rig if your trailer brakes decide to not play with the tow vehicle. Exiting the Interstate or going down a 7% grade is not the time to learn that lesson.
6) Trailer tires and wheel bearings - volumes have been written and I will not repeat. Know what to do with a trailer tire blow out at 70 mph. Been there and done that!
7) Get the heaviest duty hitch you can mount in your truck. Ensure that it articulates side to side. This will come in quite handy when a 4 wheeler pulls out in front of you and you do not have the required room to stop. (Been there and done that too - no damage to the 5'ver because of the hitch.)
8) You are essentially a semi-truck. I would encourage you to take a driving class or at least look at a lot of You-tube videos on the subject.

Best of luck and safe travels.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:15 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomtownDave View Post
Not new to RV's, but sometimes I think this forum needs an acronym page.
Dave
May I interpret for you (I can't Text but I can speak RV)

*CGs --- Campgrounds
*NPs ---- National Parks
*BLMs --- Bureau Land Management (Federal Lands)
*SPs ---- State Parks
*COE's -- Corp Of Engineer Campgrounds

*little over 35'LOA --- Length Over All
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #51

Our equipment
TV: 3500 DRW Longbed
Current rig: 40' 5er
Prior rig: 35' Bumper pull
We have taken one or the other rig around the US over a period of 10 years, stayed at many Private, State, COE, Municipal parks. Here are my comments on this discussion;

As noted above, the two rigs we have had take just about the same footprint in length (ie, due to 5er partially over the truck bed). For purposes of this discussion I consider them to have the same issue regarding length.

As noted above, there are some spots/parks you will not be able to fit in. We use campgroundreviews.com to ensure we will fit. Most recent state parks we have visited in the last few years allow you to pick the site based on length. There are two state parks in Texas we can not visit due to their max length being 34'. I am sure there are others in the US but I have not run into them.

As noted above, getting into fuel stations is my biggest concern (Truck stops alleviate that concern). However on all the other non-truck stop stations 1)Finding diesel and 2)a fuel station I can fit into are primary concerns when traveling. Fuel stations are spaced pretty far apart in some parts of the country. I have been carrying 2x5GAL of diesel in the truck bed to mitigate this problem. I will likely put in a 37GAL aux fuel tank before my next big trip. This will guarantee I will not have to stop for fuel for at least 1 full day.

As noted above, the height of the 5er is what my peers worry about most. Regardless of length. I have a bud with a 34' Rockwood 5er (13'5") that sweats bullets every time pulling into a campsite. We have a mid-height 5er that is only 13'1" (measured) that keeps us out of the tree limbs 99.5% of the time.

All other times the 40' rig is a comfortable home away from home.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #52

Freightliner Owners Club
HeidinTodd I own a very large 5th wheel as I have a 20 foot toy box. the overall length of the trailer is 49 feet. my overall length truck and trailer is 73 feet. as long as you plan ahead and know the length of the spot your pulling into you should be fine with experience. that could be a little much for a first time operation with no experience turning or backing. I drove commercially for 17 years so I had a little bit of practice. what you may not have thought of is tail swing. on larger units you tend to have a fair amount of trailer behind the axles that you really need to pay attention to when turning. If you do this please take the time to learn what the truck and trailer does going around corners and tail swing. our old 48 foot trailer I pulled around a corner on a narrow road and dropped the trailer axles in the ditch and bent the rail on the truck bed and gouged a fairly large dent on the end of the 5th wheel. I knew it as I started into it. I had to power through it knowing the damage I was about to cause but if I would have stopped with the tires in the ditch I would have been stuck and had to pay a very expensive tow bill. I no longer go down a road in a campground I have not walked first. fueling can be an issue with a small tank. I have a 240 gallon fuel capacity so I don't have to plan quite as must as most for fuel stops.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
Our equipment
TV: 3500 DRW Longbed
Current rig: 40' 5er
Prior rig: 35' Bumper pull
As noted above, getting into fuel stations is my biggest concern (Truck stops alleviate that concern). However on all the other non-truck stop stations 1)Finding diesel and 2)a fuel station I can fit into are primary concerns when traveling. Fuel stations are spaced pretty far apart in some parts of the country. I have been carrying 2x5GAL of diesel in the truck bed to mitigate this problem. I will likely put in a 37GAL aux fuel tank before my next big trip. This will guarantee I will not have to stop for fuel for at least 1 full day.

Get yourself a 100 gal aux tank instead of a small one. The price is not much different and you don't have to fill it if not needed, but you will have more options. My Chevy DRW handles my 100 gal aux tank full or empty with no difference in handling or ride and I don't have to think about fuel on trips less than 1400 miles.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #54

The 40 footer is definitely not a Camper. We pulled large, heavy, high line fivers all over the country for the 35 years I worked in the oil industry and found plenty of accommodations for our units. The length requires decent foresight in fueling and parking during the trip. As to Northwoods, our experience so far has been pretty good, although we are off the road as nearly full timers, and use our trailer for short trips and camping.

2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L
JSears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:05 PM   #55

You can live easily and comfortably in a 40 ft 5th wheel. I had a 37 footer that was 9/10's as comfortable as my house. It had stacked washer/dryer, comfortable furniture TV and Wifi. What more do you need? My 5th wheel was not a camper. It was a place to live
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
40ft is not a problem. Think ahead plan ahead and have plenty of truck 3500 DRW or bigger. My rig is 45ft plus the truck so 64ft overall. Ive not had any issues. No state parks or national parks but thats no loss. Find a KOA and stay at the CG across the street as they most times can handle big rigs too. Or KOA if you like them.
Stay at the one across the street.
😂😂😂😂
Lynchville is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel