Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
You know, I'm not going to try and persuade anyone one way or the other, all I'm going to say is, Once you use a diesel to tow with, you'll probably never go back. A gas motor may make more sense, be cheaper, but in the bottom line, if you are pulling heavy, a diesel will be so much better you will forget the difference. It don't matter, go diesel!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gearman:
With my 7.3L ford PSD towing my 5th I get 8.5-9.5, if and only if there is a strong tailwind going down hill will I ever see over 10 MPG.

IMHO, you can buy a lot of gas for what you are going to shell out to upgrade to a turbo diesel.

The diesel does pull better, but it come with a price, diesel around here is approx 20-30 cents more than premium and oil changes are gallons vs. quarts.

Oh ya, my empty MPG are 14.5-18 depending on travel, town vs. open road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> HEY GEARMAN
i BUY BIODIESEL AT 2.29 PER GALLON DELIVERED IN SO.CA. GET ON THE NET AND LOOK IN UTAH FOR SUPPLY. RVPARKER
rv parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:05 AM   #17

RVPARKER,

Yes, we have biodiesel around here, but only about 5 cents cheaper and I have to drive 20 miles to get it.

BTW, Diesel fuel just hit 45 cents more than primium, 65 cents more than regular.

I am getting more and more ready to say good bye to my diesel powered truck, and hello new chevy 8.1L w/6sp auto!
gearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:40 AM   #18

There is no question in my mind: diesel. In my Dodge I have gotten up to 14 mph towing my 27 footer, never: even with a strong wind, below 9.7: guess I'm lucky.
xcoacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:54 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are selling our 5er and bought a much smaller and lighter travel trailer. We tried pulling it with a 5.7L,4.10 axle Suburban (3/4 ton) on one trip to Oklahoma. The truck could only manage 7.4MPG running 60 MPH at a GCW of less than 13,000#. Our diesel dually in the signature is what we used to tow the 5er (thankfully we did not sell the the diesel). The diesel and trailer would hit the road at 21,000# GCW and when running 65 to 70 MPG, we would get 10 to 11 MPG.

The gasser struggled on hills in 3rd gear that the diesel would walk up in OD with close to 8000# more load.

We are back to pulling the smaller trailer with the diesel and let the Suburban go to a new home.

Like Tom said, once you tow with a diesel, you won't go back to gas. The engines are meant to work and work hard.

As for costing more up front, look at the price of a like used truck on KBB or NADA with and without diesel. You will bet most of the difference back when you sell used.

A gasser with a 150000 miles is pretty much at the end of its life. A diesel with 150000 miles is just well broken in and should get 400,000 miles plus with proper maintenance.

But you need to go with what makes you happy.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:02 AM   #20

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I get 10.5 pulling my 10,000 TT at 65 mph with my 04.5 Dodge with the Cummins diesel. The truck solo gets between 19 and 20 at 70 mph. The 4:10 gears hurt me a little solo, but they feel great towing.

Bill
Old 07-06-2007, 08:37 AM   #21

With the price of gas vs diesel fuel it is not as easy a decision as it once was. The "savings" isn't there unless you drive alot of miles.

The diesel is designed to work hard and will last, easily, 400,000 miles plus with regular maintenance. The big difference is how well they pull / push a heavy load. I towed a fiver before getting the MH. My 99 Dodge with the Cummins engine never had a problem on grades and with the exhaust brake it was just as easy going down hills. Fuel economy averaged 18 to 21 when not towing. While towing the fifth wheel I got anywhere from 15 on flat highways to 9 in the mountains.

In answer to your question: Yes, diesel is better, IMHO.

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I am jumping for joy after reading the mileages some of you are getting. We have a 2006 Ram 2500 4.10 with 6.0 Cummins, which we use to tow our Wildcat 30' 5'er of about 11,000.
We have put 10,000 miles on this bad boy, and with the 5'er attached, we proudly get 13.7 to 13.9 consistently. Without the 5'er, we are getting about 17.0 - 17.9. Of course, I use common sense when accelorating, and start braking before we get to the stop area. On mountains, we leave it in towhaul, and it will run at 1700 rpm and provide a good steady pull. However, mileages vary, and is a reflection of how the vehicle is driven. Jack rabbit starts and running in the Monfort lane will eat your mileage alive. Two of my buddies drive dieselev(cummins) and none of us would ever think of going back to the prehistoric, gas engine. Besides, the diesel will be running long after the gas engine has given up the ghost.
Good Luck and Happy RV'ing.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
I forgot to mention, that the price of DIESEL is far below that of gasoline. I just filled up and it was $2.53 a gallon, gas was $2.78.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #24

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Diesel fuel around here is $2.85 a gallon and reg gas is $2.80 a gallon. I have one question about gas truck getting around 8 mpg towing. If you got a 26 gallon tank like my Chevy has with gas you are going to do alot of stopping to find fuel.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote