Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #1

Is it safe?

Hi, I'm a newbie to rving. My previous recreational vehicle was a 25 foot boat. I just bought a 2007 prowler 245 rks fifth wheel so I don't have to deal with wind, waves and expensive moorage. Before I bought it I was told by a dealer that I would have no trouble pulling it with my 06 GMC 2500HD 6.0 liter gas 4x4. I have a 3 inch lift on it and now I am getting mixed signals as to weather I can tow the trailer safely with the lift kit. Any input or tips would be appreciated.
Eagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would contact GMC direct and ask them with the specs you have for both the RV and the changes to the truck. I would NOT trust a dealer unless they would put it in writing with a replacement garantee if you break something from overloading it.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #3

The major issue will be box to trailer clearance, 4" is the safe minimum. A 3" lift kit and corresponding oversize tires (after all that is the reason for the lift is it not) is going to put the trailer very close to the end of the box unless you lift the trailer. Now you need a taller step, extra blocking for your jacks and the trailer will not be as stable. There is no free lunch.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Conquest102 is correct: DON'T TRUST THE DEALER. They're only out to sell you an RV, not be sure you're safe doing it.

I know with our previous 285RKS Cougar, we pulled it with an 06 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 & it had oversize tires on it. I don't recall if there was a lift kit or not, though it was awful high up for me, but there was not much clearance between the 5-r & the truck bed rails.

There will also be some of our more experienced truck towing members who will chime in here with sound advice for you.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dealers have been know to out right LIE to make a sale.

Personally I do not like to see lift kits on trucks used to tow. Towing is about having a stable trailer as well as a stable tow vehicle. A lift raises the center of gravity which make a less stable vehicle. The question is how much less stable and will it be enough to effect the rigs stability.

The other question is if you will have sufficient clearance between the bed rail and the trailer...you want 6" and the trailer setting level. If you have to lift the trailer now to get it high enough....well now you have two lifted vehicles.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would you be willing or consider taking the cargo box off and installing a flat bed to eliminate problems?

That's not a suggestion, just thinking out loud.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #7

Is the lift a body lift or suspension lift. Some suspension lifts don't work well for a working truck.

The truck won't have any issue towing the little 24.5' 5er.
Possible issue may be bed height which may require the trailer to be lifted with a axle "flip" (springs on top) or adding a 2"-3" sub frame between the trailer frame and suspension. The 5er needs to be in a level position going down the road.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
GMC can provide you with the specs for the TV. The RV manufacturer can provide the RV specs. There should be a plate on the RV that will tell you the weight. Get rid of the lift kit.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #9

The 5er should sit level when hooked to the truck, and a minimum 6"(Reese recommendation) between 5er and pickup bed; 8" if you plan to drive back roads to remote camping areas.. As others said, the higher the body the more it is affected by cross-winds, cornering, and other factors. If you raise the trailer springs too high above the axles, spring wrap when braking enters the equation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While I do not know enough about your truck and trailer to state my "Gut" tells me that you likely will have no issues with a 2500 pulling a 24' trailer.. This is, however, a guess.

As to what the dealer told you.. If you cruse the net long enough you will come up with a you tube copy of a Monthy Python Skit where a little car is towing way too much boat up a hill..... Followed by the boat and trailer towing the now deceased little car back DOWN the hill.

His dealer said "NO problem, Your car can tow it NO PROBLEM" I'm sure.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
The question "is it safe?" should be "is it safe @ 55mph?
And I ask, does it feel safe? That says a lot.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #12

IT is the lift kit not the truck, the truck is great to pull that fiver but the lift kit makes it too close to the bottom of the area where the hitch is attached so you hit a bump and the truck hits the bottom of the overhang of the fiver. That would not be good. Can you lower the truck? You do not want to raise the fiver for a number of reasons begining with it will be too high to get up on the stairs and the center of gravity will have it turn over on exit ramps that circle around. Lesson learned- NEVER listen to a RV or car salesman that is trying to sell you a vehicle, they want to sell the vehicle and your safety is not on their radar for the most part. Some are good but they are in he great minority.(sorry my dealer/sales friends but making the sale is your priority)
Sandie115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #13

Not knowing the #s involved, My thoughts would be, un lifted would be fine for towing.
Lifted is another question. How is it lifted. Body lift or suspension lift. With a body lift and a 5r hitch, what is done about the space from the frame to the hitch. And the extra leverage placed on the mounting system by the change on leverage.
With a suspension lift on a leaf spring vehicle, it lift blocks are used, that will change the leverage of the axel to the springs. IE the springs will allow the axel to twist more under high tork loads from towing. Can cause some scary things to happen.
I guess on summery, a lifted truck cam tow, but not as much as one not lifted.

I not saying yes or no, just giving some other thoughts than clearance.