Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
JJ

Is the Blue Ox Super Ride a double or single jaw hitch?

I don't particularly like the Curt Q20 the Ford dealer put in my F350. I hadn't pulled a 5th wheel before, so was fairly clueless about 5th wheel hitches. I now want to upgrade the hitch and am seriously considering the Super Ride. I've been trying to find out which jaw style the Super Ride has and haven't found much info on the interweb. Anybody know what kind of jaws it has?

Also, do you still use a teflon plate with the Super Ride's Greaseless head?

Thanks in advance for any info. I don't want to buy the wrong hitch again.

-jj
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #2

Two jaws, each loops around the kingpin when closed. The plastic wrapped head eliminates a lube plate. If you look at Blue Ox's website under installation instructions they show an exploded drawing of the jaws.

I've seen one review, on this forum I think, and it was positive.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #3

What is it about the Q20 you don’t like?
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbos1958 View Post
I can give you a list of things not to like about the Curt Q hitches.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #5
JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbos1958 View Post
It's noisy. It rides rough. Lot's of front/back movement when starting/stopping. Also have the R20 and it is very difficult to engage and disengage.

I tried putting curt rubber pads under it, but couldn't get the pins on the tailgate end to go in with the pads in place. The original installer had left them out and now I know why. Curt CS has been unresponsive.

-jj
Old 06-21-2019, 04:56 AM   #6

JJ I couldn’t agree more. I am replacing my latest Curt with a super 5th from pullrite. I replaced my first slider q20 with a super glide and could not have been happier. I need a simple rail mount hitch rated over 20k and seems to be a solid unit. Let us know how the Blue Ox turns out if you try it I am curious as I have no experience with them.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #7

Following is a copy and pasted review of the Super Ride from another forum. This user was new to fifth wheels and gave the hitch a shot.

Ok so here it goes
Pros
Super easy to operate. Evening switching it to the maneuvering position is a snap. Can be done in less 45 seconds.
Easy to take out. Comes apart in three pieces. Maybe 5 mins
No chucking very smooth ride and quiet at that
No grease needed
Cons
Not many
Not an auto slider but its simple to slide it back and honestly I have not needed to use it at all. I've tried many different spots and angles no issues. And I only have a standard bed
Directions say tighten center bolt on the kingpin model to 45 foot pounds. I needed to tighten to 110 foot pounds to get no movement of the hitch it the truck bed. No big deal

Overall I enjoy the hitch
I must admit thought this is my first 5th wheel as i have towed travel trailers for some time now. But it seems to be a very good setup.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:53 AM   #8

I have the Curt A20 and it has been trouble free. I have considered upgrading to a hitch that will provide some shock absorption. The Blue Ox looks like a good hitch.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #9

KZ RV Club
Have you looked at the B&W Companion? I have had a number of 5W's and hitches, Reese, Husky, & now the B&W. It is by far the best I have had, easy to hitch and even easier to unhitch. The others would bind making it almost impossible to release, not the B&W, one handed release.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I don't particularly like the Curt Q20 the Ford dealer put in my F350. I hadn't pulled a 5th wheel before, so was fairly clueless about 5th wheel hitches. I now want to upgrade the hitch and am seriously considering the Super Ride. I've been trying to find out which jaw style the Super Ride has and haven't found much info on the interweb. Anybody know what kind of jaws it has?

Also, do you still use a teflon plate with the Super Ride's Greaseless head?

Thanks in advance for any info. I don't want to buy the wrong hitch again.

-jj

My son bought the super ride for his f250 superduty. He says it rides great and smooth. No need for Teflon plate it has one about 2 inches thick.

Tags
blue ox, single