Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #1

Is this crazy??? First-timer transporting new 5er cross-country solo

Hey ya'll - I'm looking to buy a package rig (F350 + Grand Design 290BH - saving big $$$) on the east coast and drive it back to California. I'm a first timer - never have towed anything, but have always owned a truck. I'd be making the trip solo, and plan to take big-rig-friendly routes, sleeping in the rig at rest stops.

I just want to get from point A to point B as safe as possible. Is this crazy??? What precautions do I need to take before starting the trek? ie, GPS, routes, areas to avoid, etc?

Thanks for any insights!
joe5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe5150 View Post
Hey ya'll - I'm looking to buy a package rig (F350 + Grand Design 290BH - saving big $$$) on the east coast and drive it back to California. I'm a first timer - never have towed anything, but have always owned a truck. I'd be making the trip solo, and plan to take big-rig-friendly routes, sleeping in the rig at rest stops.

I just want to get from point A to point B as safe as possible. Is this crazy??? What precautions do I need to take before starting the trek? ie, GPS, routes, areas to avoid, etc?

Thanks for any insights!

Use CO-Pilot GPS app if you have an iPhone. It looks for rest areas, bad roads, low clearance bridges etc.
THEHOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
In a rest area if parked where thr trucks are do not open the slides or you could lose one. If you can park by the curbs and slide goes out twards the curb then it's OK.
Trucks wheel in with a big wide turns in some places and if that slide is out they may or may not see it and take it out. So be careful. OH and I'd not stay over night in a truck stop unless you just can't help it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know two people who did a similar thing, worked out fine.

How long do you plan to take coming back?

We plan on averaging 50 MPH but this time of the year there is a lot of road construction going on so plan accordingly.

I'd suggest keeping it under 65 or lower especially when the wind picks up. You're going to be hitting some pretty good winds so just slow down when it gets bad.

Make sure the tires are all at the correct pressure.

Have a good trip!!
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:28 PM   #5

Check all the tires, especially the trailer. A long trip like that in this kind of heat can cause a lot of tire problems especially if the tires are older. I made a round trip from Alabama to Las Vegas a couple of years ago pulling a tandem trailer. The tires had good tread and looked good (no weather checking). But, they were about 6 years old. I replaced all 4 tires on the trailer before I got back home. I tire monitoring system would help if the rig is so equipped.

Make sure the brakes are working before starting out. Depending upon the age of the trailer and how much it has been towed, checking the wheel bearings for play and grease might be a good idea.

Take your time and get comfortable driving the rig. Don't get too low on fuel. You can't get into just any gas station with a large rig. Stay on major truck routes and you should be OK.

Walmart and other large retail store parking lots are another places to overnight at.
DG N. AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #6

Quote:

Thanks for any insights!

AVOID Hwy 31 if you drive through Texas!!
THEHOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #7

what a great adventure! have you ever towed before? if not, pay extreme caution to all the safety topics. watch the turns, etc. regarding drive-ability you have both the truck and the trailer to get used to. you will learn how to live within the trailer. but initially pay attention to safety, both yours, to others, and to you new truck and trailer.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:23 PM   #8

Not crazy at all. If your not comfortable, go to a big empty parking lot and get a feel for how it turns, etc. Then take your time and swing wide when making sharp turns.

Enjoy.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #9

Is your current Ca. Drivers license valid for the rig you are buying ? Some of you Cali rv'ers chime in on this.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Get as much information about wind speed and direction as you can so you can plan your route. A strong crosswind could ruin your trip.
My hat's off to your gutsy plan. Good luck!

Steve
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #11

Stay on the interstate if you expect to find rest areas and it's also the easiest way to cross the country. You'll find the 5th wheel setup is the most stable RV there is in the wind. Your trailer is several thousand pounds under the 15,000 GVWR requiring a special CA driver license endorsement.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:24 PM   #12

Go slow. Tow in the 55-60mph range, and take your time.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:

Thanks for any insights!
I did about the same 3 1/2 years ago. You didn’t say if it’s a used or new rig. I got about two hours out of Vegas and stopped for fuel. All four of my trailer tires were cracked or bubbled. They looked good on the lot and were within date code range, about three years old I recall. But sitting in the Vegas heat had damaged them. I got lucky and a place about a mile away made me a good deal on four new tires and I was back on the road. I got lucky though. Be very aware of your tires the first few days.

A TPMS is good insurance. The ones at Camping world are junk. My next one will be from TechoRV. He has a YouTube channel.

The only times I’ve got myself into trouble was when I let my tank get to about a quarter full then couldn’t find fuel. Now I start looking when it’s gets close to a half tank. You’ll be in areas you aren’t familiar with. Sometimes you’ll see a sign that says diesel (if that’s what you’ve got) only to take the exit and come to a turn at the end of the off ramp with no’s sign! Other times they are out, closed, or there is no room to maneuver with a fiver in tow. Once I pulled strait in to a pump then had to back straight out about fifty yards. Just fill up often! An aux tank is in my future, but I carry two 5 gal Jerry cans now.

Make sure you read up on your hitch and lube it per specs. The dealer I bought my B&W from said just spray it w WD40. The book says lube grease. I use lube grease.

Whether it’s used or new, it could have been sitting a while. I’d either have the bearings packed and inspected if it’s used, or at least put a few shots of grease in them if they have zerk fittings. Same goes for the spring shackles. A lot of spring and shackle failures are reported with GD. Inspect them before and often.

If it’s used you should inspect the brakes when doing the bearings.

Read up on how to set the gain on your brake controller.

I got to Seattle from Vegas over the holidays about 9 mos ago and had dishes smashed in my cabinets from rough roads. Until you’ve experienced it it is hard to believe how rough the ride is back there. Make sure your doors and everything is tied down well and can’t get to flying about.

I stay at rest stops and truck stops overnight all the time with no problems and I’m a 59yo woman traveling solo. However, if you’re traveling in the hot months that is unbearable. If so, you might want to swing north. Add a few hundred miles to your trip to make the nights more comfortable and you’ll be more rested and safer on the road.

If your truck is new, you’ll need to vary your speed for about 500 miles dubreak in. If it’s used I’d get an oil, transmission, coolant, and differential service before heading out. Even at under towing capacity you can get overheating issues in the mountains.

Don’t tail gate! . Leave yourself WAY more room than you need in case the fool in front of you decides to slow down for the view.

Watch a few truck driver training videos on turns and backing. You may not need to back, but it’s best to be prepared.

Carry enough cash for a few days of fuel at least. If you get out somewhere there’s a power glitch you can’t use a card. I traded a few tubes of silver for those tires, for example.

Water is about 8 1/4 pounds per gallon. You’ll use five to seven gallons for a short shower. Plan accordingly. Think about breakfast and coffee to get you on the road and road snacks. Make sure you’ve got propane in both tanks so if one is bad you can switch and still make coffee. Coffee IS the most important meal of the day!

Duct tape. Have some. I had to duct tape my plate on when the screws fell out that first trip and was lucky I caught it before the second one slipped out.

Have the usual stuff like jumper cables and such, and a hot shot is great.

Have an air compressor.

Have an adventure!

Kate
Old 08-20-2019, 10:05 PM   #14

I'd suggest taking a little more time and spend some of that money you saved and stay at RV parks. Pulling a trailer is a lot more stressful then just driving a truck. You will find yourself much more tired at the end of each day than you are anticipating. Sleeping in rest areas will be smothering in this heat and the noise of others coming and going all night long won't help you sleep either. Pull into a RV park that's close to the hi way and has pull through's each day around 5:00 or 6:00 turn on the a/c unhook and go gas up and grab some dinner. Come back to a nice cool trailer and chill out for a few hours before hitting the sack. You'll feel much fresher in the morning and be a much happier camper. Also by spending the nights at a park you'll get to know your rig much sooner. The extra time and cost will be money well spent.

Tags
solo