Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2018, 10:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I've got a conundrum, what to do?

The wife and i have been going to the Northwood dealer here to look at the Arctic Fox 29-5k 5er for about a year now. we really like that one and find ourselves always compare other products to it. we just sold the super c so now looking way more seriously at options. factoring everything in this time and since it is well known how heavy the AF units are I'm also checking other options. have found and looked at the Jayco Eagle 319mlok as is basically a lighter, slightly lower profile, and less expensive 'twin' to the AF. i know they are not technically direct competitors because they are on quite different quality levels from each other.

being that the AF is about $20k more expensive and ~3-4k lbs heavier at least, its hard to not strongly consider the Jayco. I'm just worried if we did go with the Jayco that i would always feel like i settled or sold myself short by not getting the AF since i know the quality of the AF is known to be so much better, especially in what counts, the structure and frame. that being said, the Jayco felt pretty darn solid under my feet and had a few design features that i actually prefer over the AF as they make more sense for us. registration and insurance fees are reflective of the unit cost and play into the overalls as well.

also, we are looking strongly into going full time for a year or 2 in the (hopefully) near-ish future to figure out where we eventually want to relocate to. i know the AF can handle this, can the Jayco?

dang it, what the heck am i supposed to do here?
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 05:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaminoManT View Post
The wife and i have been going to the Northwood dealer here to look at the Arctic Fox 29-5k 5er for about a year now. we really like that one and find ourselves always compare other products to it.
I'll make this quick. IMO there's no comparison. The quality and available options on the Arctic Fox 29-5k are SOoooo superior. AND...if you're really thinking of FTing soon this is a real no brainer to me. It's going to be your HOUSE. I mean simple, everyday things like...when its raining. I mean, look at how that roof is built. That Arctic Fox 29-5k is going to be so much more quiet inside than the Jayco. And it's 4 seasons ready. With that construction it's also going to be easier on your heating & cooling because of the insulation. I've never liked the Jaycos. None of them...and I've looked at a lot of them. IMO, their construction is cheap, they are a high production RV, and costs are kept down to draw in entry level RVer's or folks who want to get into an RV as cheap as possible.

The one thing I'd be really looking at is, is making sure the current truck is really up to the task to SAFELY drag this thing around with plenty of margin. To many folks ride on the edge here and that's not smart.

So with the so, so knowledge I have concerning 5vers, my vote goes for the Arctic Fox 29-5k.
My starter list of must have options would have to be:
• Bigger AC units
• Pull out tray in the storage bay
• Slide out toppers
• King Bed
• oh jeeze there are so many good options, I'm going to stop here

Good luck my friend.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:43 AM   #3

So you are wondering if the Jayco is good enough? Well, not really. You should buy the AF and never look back. If you buy the Jayco you will always wonder if you made a mistake and the answer will probably be 'yes'.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:12 AM   #4

IMHO go with the AF. Jayco used to be a good brand but I have to question quality with the new ownership. The AF will still have issues, but they won't be deal breakers and it will hold up to FT use. Buy the 29-5, get the options you want and add disc brakes and solar and you are good to go. If you don't mind the width, go diesel dually, but you can get by with a one ton SRW. Check the NROA site for more advise and opinions. Make sure you use a dealer you are comfortable with. We've never been back to the dealer with ours, but I have make many changes/repairs myself. I'd shy away from the mega dealers, but that's just me.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:31 AM   #5

Jayco is laden with quality issues from small things to the large things. The AF isn't slam banged together like the Jayco.
No matter what it's a big investment. The price range you're looking at dictates a well built quality RV. I'm afraid with the Jayco at even less money you will not get what you should for the price.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #6
IC2

We don't have either so have no strong opinion on either brand.

$20K difference is nothing to sneeze at plus the extra weight of the Arctic Fox might put you into a different truck capaxity category.

I would ask these questions of myself then make a learned decison: as far as equipment, recalling that virtually every brand has the same a/c, microwave, HW heater, furnace, etc, etc

Do they have the same amount of storage as well as the ability to access? Our current 5er has a cave pass through 'basement.

Is the HW heater big enough? One 'premium' brand we looked at had a 6 gallon which, IMO, is too small for anything but a weekender user.

Does either have self leveling? Is it 4 or 6 point?

Do they both have 2 a/c units? Today's bigger towables really need two.

Does the supplied furniture look durable? Some of the so called leather covered is not holding up with it peeling and/or mechanically failing.

Is the bed a full length queen or king? RV lengths are odd balls when it comes to sheets and are whatever length the manufacturer wants to use.

Is the quality of interior assembly good? Many have complained about fit and finish, regardless of brand name.

Is your dealer a good one or is he just another one of the large crowd of sell and forget who you are when you have a problem.

Then, which one really attracts you. A frumpy looking RV is .... well frumpy and you may need to live with it for several years and hate it every time you lay eyes on it, especially if you full time.

Others will have more to say, but it is your money to spend and your time to live in it and you are the one that needs to be happy with your purchase.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #7

Get the best quality rig you can afford.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #8

Don't know either brand but your post seemed to say everything to me. If you are concerned about settling then don't. You will always wonder and wondering causes ulcers. Buy the AF and full time away.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:02 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Don’t forget the AF will have a higher resale value when the time comes to sell the unit. I’ve had 3-Northwood TTs and toured the factory. It’s a quality product.

Try calling Thunder RV in LaGrande, OR for a price. They’re a couple miles from the factory and Northwood’s biggest dealer. They will give you a best price over the phone. We ordered our last AF from them and they took care of everything. Then we drove 1,700 miles from home to pick up our new TT when it was ready.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #10

As an analogy, would you feel comfortable building a deck with common lumber 1x4 or use treated 2x6. Buy a weak chassis and get the "benefits" of it. The reason a trailer is heavier is it has a heavier frame, sturdier cabinets, stronger wall and roof studding, better insulation. Many manufacturers seem to have high interior decorating budgets and virtually no structural engineering budget.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I do believe I have a pretty solid consensus here! I'm ok with the higher cost of the Fox if it is indeed worth it. I just wonder how things are going since Mr. Nash is not there anymore to keep things in check. The NROA group has some info but it's pretty quiet over there compared to here and rvnet.
The Jayco is nice and feels solid but it is from Indiana where quantity over quality rules the game which is why I'm nervous with them.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaminoManT View Post
I do believe I have a pretty solid consensus here! I'm ok with the higher cost of the Fox if it is indeed worth it. I just wonder how things are going since Mr. Nash is not there anymore to keep things in check. The NROA group has some info but it's pretty quiet over there compared to here and rvnet.
The Jayco is nice and feels solid but it is from Indiana where quantity over quality rules the game which is why I'm nervous with them.

Are you going to buy NEW truck also?

That 2006 3500 SRW will max out with a 14K 5vr

RAWR------6500#
GCVWR..16,000#
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:56 PM   #13

I did a Jayco factory tour and witnessed the Eagle being built two years ago. Let's just say....their welders that weld the wall frames have no idea how to weld aluminum. Burn it - sure. Glob some wire on it - Yep. Actually weld a seam - Nope, not at all. Looking at their welds, I saw about 25% that actually were a complete weld that penetrated the aluminum without burning holes in it.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:05 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Are you going to buy NEW truck also?

That 2006 3500 SRW will max out with a 14K 5vr

RAWR------6500#
GCVWR..16,000#
Nope. I may convert it to a dually however. Yes, I am aware that doesn’t change it’s registered numbers. I am fully aware of the weights, hence why the Jayco is a part of this subject.