Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2022, 07:47 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Jack Buckets

A question for those of you using either the Ropher or Andersen red jack buckets, are you satisfied? They look very practical and reduce jack extension. But I have seen some shatter, and that would be scary. The Ropher on Amazon are on sale but are a little unknown. I realize you can use wood blocks, but that is much heavier. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2022, 08:19 PM   #2

Stackable so that means inside area is somewhat hollow
That means that can sink into grass, hot asphalt, soft dirt, sand...basically any surface that is not concrete

I'll stick to my 6"x6"x6" solid wood blocks with rope handles

Place in bed of truck...easy to retrieve when setting up
YES...less extension on landing gear legs/stabilizers the more solid set up
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:59 AM   #3

We have used the Anderson buckets for three years now with no problems. I purchased them used so they have had plenty of use over a variety of surfaces. No more clunky blocks for me.
John.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:09 AM   #4

I bought my first set about 5 years ago. They all managed to break their bottom rim, mostly due to use on gravel IMO. I sent Andersen an email and received 4 new ones in a short time. Great customer service. The new ones are much heavier and I've been using them for a couple of years now without a problem. I'm very happy with how they work and find them much easier to pack around and set up than when I was packing 6" blocking for each leg.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can't use them on dirt, gravel or grass. They have to have a solid surface under them or they can be crushed.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:38 AM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You can't use them on dirt, gravel or grass. They have to have a solid surface under them or they can be crushed.

Ken
Yep. Seems like another item is needed to protect the bottom such a dense rubber jack mat.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:28 PM   #7

I've set up my trailer probably 100 times with them, and always use 14"◊14" plastic pads under them because, yes, I've seen people crack the bottom rim from uneven surfaces.
The only problem I've had is that the screws that hold the magnets in will rust. I called Andersen and they sent me new magnets and screws.
JK
Old 03-17-2022, 12:58 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's a no from me....I'll stick to my trusty wood blocks.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 03:22 PM   #9

I have used the newer Andersen buckets on the front landing gear of my 5er for about a year.

I have used them on asphalt, concrete, dirt, and very frequently gravel.

I would not attempt them on grass.

They have shown no signs of breaking. Perhaps the design was changed at some point.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 06:02 PM   #10

KZ RV Club
Anderson buckets

We are starting our second year with the Anderson buckets.
They have held up very well on all surfaces.
They came with the door mat, that we don't use.
Kirt
Midlotexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:40 AM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I did buy the jack buckets and love them. Greatly reduces jack travel and leveling time. To protect the bottom, I got some Ekon rubber pads from Amazon to put under each one.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:42 AM   #12

think about this..... if you back under trailer and accidently push the trailer off the buckets how tall is the bucket and do I have enough clearance to have it fall and NOT Damage the bed of my truck? I know an owner of a RAM truck that can tell you from experience you need wheel chocks to avoid this problem. any block or bucket taller then 5" is not going under my trailer legs.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:12 AM   #13

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
think about this..... if you back under trailer and accidently push the trailer off the buckets how tall is the bucket and do I have enough clearance to have it fall and NOT Damage the bed of my truck? I know an owner of a RAM truck that can tell you from experience you need wheel chocks to avoid this problem. any block or bucket taller then 5" is not going under my trailer legs.
Valid concern. However, I do use wheel chocks. Granted accidents happen, however, I always back under the pin box very slowly and immediately stop upon the jaws locking. I also have an air hitch in the bed and very little "force" is needed to lock the jaws since the hitch is compressed as you back under it.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:55 AM   #14

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Stackable so that means inside area is somewhat hollow
That means that can sink into grass, hot asphalt, soft dirt, sand...basically any surface that is not concrete

I'll stick to my 6"x6"x6" solid wood blocks with rope handles

Place in bed of truck...easy to retrieve when setting up
YES...less extension on landing gear legs/stabilizers the more solid set up
X2, canít beat wooden blocks. The only down side is they are heavier the good news is they wonít blow out of the truck bed. Keep all those blocks organized in one of those plastic crates.
I do own the Andersen Buckets and l really like them with a piece of rubber stall mat under them.
They came with our unit though I probably would not have purchased them.
Skilletface is offline   Reply With Quote