Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Often wonder how stable a 6"X 6" block is under a jack. If you stand on one, it can be easy to tip. I would want a wider base.
With the block centered under the jack the blocks are very stable. With the scissor wheel chocks between the tires it's not moving back and forth.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgtyd View Post
We have Snap Pads on our fiver and love them. They make setting up so much easier.
I've been looking at the SnapPads for a while and I can't figure out how they make setting up any easier or different when it comes to leveling.

Do they make things easier instead of placing a single jack pad at each jack for weight distribution?

But how do they affect leveling one way or another?
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
I've been looking at the SnapPads for a while and I can't figure out how they make setting up any easier or different when it comes to leveling.

Do they make things easier instead of placing a single jack pad at each jack for weight distribution?

But how do they affect leveling one way or another?
X2

We check the location under the jacks for level and to clear away large pieces of debris.

I made 10" to 14" alum stands so the jacks don't extend very far, increasing stability.

Snap pads are rubber so they increase the grip on the ground like a piece of plywood does. We use 1/2"x18"x18" piece of used rubber belting under the aluminum stands that we picked up for free.

When on dirt/mud/snow/ice we'll use wood under the rubber to spread the weight over a larger area.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I want these

https://youtu.be/rjIXGNgc72Y
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Pretty cool!

I guess on a very unlevel site, leveling can still occur without overstroke errors because of the extra reserve left in the stroke, I like it. Might order a couple to see how much room they'll take up in storage. Wish they stacked tighter, though, that would be a storage bonus over big blocks.
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:41 PM   #20

I do 100% of the time, here are some of my reasons. Some parks require them. I like to keep the pad out of the mud and grass if this is dirt site. The support boards help to spread out the mass of the legs are exerting in the small area of the pad. Also the shorter the leg that is extended from the cylinder the less bending movement that can occur. I try to keep my legs as short as possible when I set up my trailer, this tends to make the trailer more stable.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #21

Big thank you to all. Your expertise is rewarding!
wnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdave View Post
Pretty cool!

I guess on a very unlevel site, leveling can still occur without overstroke errors because of the extra reserve left in the stroke, I like it. Might order a couple to see how much room they'll take up in storage. Wish they stacked tighter, though, that would be a storage bonus over big blocks.
I'm definitely ordering some, I can report back once I get my 5vr home. They seem pretty convenient and I'm hoping they will enable me to not have to lower my front jacks manually.

I didn't want jacks in the front I had to pull a pin on.. but I "gave" on that issue in order to get a Glacier Peak.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #23

Pros - they help in giving the landing gear more support.

Cons - PITA to carry and keep clean.

I use them 95% of the time. I have 12" × 12" 2 bys screwed together.

I believe 95% of the people use them 95% of the time.

Oh, if just spending the night I leave the truck hooked and maybe then I will not use them.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Looks good but with a little movement those will be sinking into the dirt and if the ground is not flat (don't mean level) the plastic will buckle.

I'd recommend using plywood under them.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:58 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post
Looks good but with a little movement those will be sinking into the dirt and if the ground is not flat (don't mean level) the plastic will buckle.

I'd recommend using plywood under them.
we'll find out, I imagine that's some perty stiff plastic... they could be garbage, but most everything I've seen from Anderson yet has been pretty right on target. I'll certainly report.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDWatkins View Post
I use them 100% of the time.
Pros: Keep from sinking in hot asphalt, sand or mud as easy.

Cons: ?
Somebody on here a while back was crying about dirt/mud getting stuck on the top of the jack pad. Minor problem as far as I can see. I've been contemplating them for a while. If I remember right, the only thing keeping me from biting the bullet was cost. I think they were a little pricey.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
I have been studying this subject for a while. I was really thinking the "RV Snap pads" were the answer (I was just trying to find a deal). Then I saw these Anderson "Jack Blocks" and they make so much sense. So not considering cost which way would you go?
kksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:41 PM   #28
JDT

Seems like the Anderson's would be more convenient but I would think since it appears it is basically an open bucket wouldn't the rims tend to sink? We rarely camp on anything but gravel and sometimes grass. Maybe needs a lid.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote