Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2006, 05:07 AM   #1

to remove the tire on our jayco 303 fifth-wheel to make a brake adjustment, the prodigy manual says to not lift or support trailer on any part of the axle or suspension system. our jayco manual doesn't give us any info on this. does anyone have any information on where we need to place the jacks to lift the fifth wheel? thanks, cheryl.
starwarsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2006, 05:07 AM   #2

to remove the tire on our jayco 303 fifth-wheel to make a brake adjustment, the prodigy manual says to not lift or support trailer on any part of the axle or suspension system. our jayco manual doesn't give us any info on this. does anyone have any information on where we need to place the jacks to lift the fifth wheel? thanks, cheryl.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:34 AM   #3

I just changed tires on my 5'er and we lifted it at the frame, just behind the back wheel. I think the biggest issue with jacking it at the axle is it pushes the tire up into the fender wlll and it's hard to get out and put a new one in.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:41 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
The concern is that jack placement under the axle itself can cause damage, and I agree - never jack directly on an axle. Personally, I use a hydraulic bottle jack under the spring plate (my 5th wheel's axles are above the springs) with a 2x4 block between the jack head and the spring plate to raise a tire off the ground. The spring plate carries load by design - it, with the U-bolts, transfer trailer weight from the spring to the axle. I prefer this to jacking on the frame since a lot of jack travel is required to first unload the suspension and finally raise the tire.

Others use a ramp under the other tire on a given side to raise the desired tire off the ground.

By the way, I just noticed that this is your first post - Welcome to iRV2.com! It's great to have you on board!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:47 AM   #5

thanks to both of you for the super-fast and helpful replies. i have passed this information on to my husband and i know it will help him very much. and thanks also, rusty, for the welcome. what a friendly and helpful site! we haven't even had our "New" (used) fifth-wheel on the road yet and i already feel like part of the rv family! thanks again, cheryl
Old 05-15-2006, 03:05 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have had tire problems in the past and have used a bottle jack to raise the fiver but now I do it with a piece of 6X6 and a short piece of 2X8 to make a ramp it much easier for me.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:09 PM   #7

thanks diandtom. another great idea! we really appreciate all of the helpful suggestions! i only joined the site today and i am already so impressed with the friendly people! thanks again, cheryl.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:56 PM   #8

I also use a bottle jack under the spring plate. Don't place a jack anywhere else on the axle or you risk bending the axle. Trailer manufacturer's discourage using a ramp under one wheel to raise the other off the ground. This overloads that one axle, and again risks bending it. A jack under the spring of the flat tire is the safest way. Again, welcome to irv2.com!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:20 PM   #9

thanks ray. it would be nice if we got such great responses other places when we need information. so far we are very impressed with the people and the site. thanks for another helpful and nice reply. so far we have just worked on the fifth wheel. we haven't even tried towing it yet, but i'm sure we will love it once we finally get it on the road! thanks again and blessings, cheryl.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:25 AM   #10

Hi
I have a Jayco 26.3 I use a 6 ton bottle jack under the frame rail. ( Be carefull ) As I was jacking for the first time I found the tubular frame is not strong enough for a the small footprint of the jack. I just happend to have a 3/8x2" flat bar. I cut a piece 8" long and place this against the frame. Works great.

Rick
Rick007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #11

thanks rick for another great suggestion. i will pass the info on to my husband. boy, experience really is the best teacher! and i'm sure we have some flat stock around here as my husband is always welding something! blessings, cheryl.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:25 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick007:
Hi
I have a Jayco 26.3 I use a 6 ton bottle jack under the frame rail. ( Be carefull ) As I was jacking for the first time I found the tubular frame is not strong enough for a the small footprint of the jack. I just happend to have a 3/8x2" flat bar. I cut a piece 8" long and place this against the frame. Works great.

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
P.S thats is where Jayco recomended jacking it
Rick007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:48 AM   #13

well, they ought to know! thanks again, cheryl.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:12 AM   #14

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I posted this back in 2001. I was unable to find anything concerning where to place the jack under the trailer (in my case a travel trailer). so I emailed the question to Jayco. Here's the link to that posting and Jayco's response.

Jayco's response to jack placement
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote