Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #1

Jacking 5th wheel (Torsion axle)

Never thought too much of it in the past...put a bottle jack at the end of the axle on the mounting bracket and did whatever maintenance was needed.

Tonight I noticed that by doing so, as much as lifts the tires off the ground as needed, it also lifts the front leg...

...just concerned on the flexing of the unit.

Plan B was to just drive up on levelers or a device to life one tire off the ground but the concern is by doing so you are putting the entire weight on one tire and am defiantly would be over the max capacity. (which brings up the point that if one tire fails while traveling you are driving way above the max weight of the carrying tire)

...thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2018, 08:07 PM   #2

That's why a lot up the weight ratings of their tires.....and only use the frame work to lift trailer......have Tork Flex under mine....just a different brand......and where a TMS comes in, to give a warning, hopefully in time to get slowed down
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:13 PM   #3

Here's where I put my jackClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170503_172204422_HDR.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	204838
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #4

I have Torflex axles on my trailer and use an Andersen Rapid Jack to roll up on and lift the other tire. Works fine and is fast. Never thought about overloading the other tire but that is what is happening. My fine 4 year old Towmax tires never complained and I am indeed over maximum capacity when lifting a wheel. I guess temporary overloading is no worse than going over a speed bump. The Rapid Jack is designed to do just that regardless of what type of suspension you have. I estimate I have a max of 5,000# on a 3,600# tire.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:10 AM   #5

While stationary, putting full load on a single tire is probably OK. Only time I have seen a problem is on a triple axle unit where the owner drove the front tire up on blocks to change the middle tire. So that was a 3X load and the front tire then failed 100 miles later.

If you have a blow out and drive any distance with the other tire overloaded, then you should consider changing both tires. Also, flying debris from the failed tire can damage the other tire anyway, like causing internal tread separation. I had a case where the steel cord from the failed tire became imbedded in the other tire tread (didn't fail luckily). If you do replace both tires, then you should also rotate tires so both new tires are on the same axle.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel