Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2021, 06:33 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 25
Jacking up a 5th Wheel

How important is it to have the 5th wheel king pin supported when you're jacking up a wheel? While visiting the Dexter Axle Service Center in Elkhart I was told to always support the weight of the front on the king pin rather than on the landing jacks when jacking up a a wheel. It made sense to me as otherwise you end up putting an unequal amount of weight on one of the landing jacks and some abnormal twist on the frame.

After that advise from Dexter, I've always had the 5th wheel connected to the truck when greasing my wheel bearings or changing a tire, but now when I want to have the wheel bearing greasing done by someone else, I'm having trouble finding a shop that thinks they need to have a jack or truck supporting the king pin while performing this work.

Am I being too fussy or was Dexter's advice good?

Ron.
rgevans871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2021, 06:44 AM   #2
Member
 
bookemdanno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 73
Iíve never had my truck connected when greasing or pulling the tires. I always use some sort of wood cribbing and use my bottle jack to jack at the frame and then use a couple jacks stands for support.
__________________
'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD & '16 Jayco NP 377
bookemdanno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
SteveB's Avatar
 
Jayco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 120
I always connect my truck just to stabilize the camper when jacking. I figure better safe than sorry.
__________________
2015 RAM CC LB DRW CTD 68RFE 3.73
SOLD-'01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO
'04 Jayco 28.5 RKS
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:04 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 25
Jacking up a 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookemdanno View Post
Iíve never had my truck connected when greasing or pulling the tires. I always use some sort of wood cribbing and use my bottle jack to jack at the frame and then use a couple jacks stands for support.
You're trailer is not a 5th Wheel, so my question isn't applicable to your unit.
rgevans871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:09 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,038
You have 3 choices: Follow what the service center told you by finding a shop that will do it, do it yourself supported, or get the service done and dont worry about it.

I am guessing far less people worry about it, do based on a google search. What do you do when on uneven ground and the wheels one side do not touch the ground?

While boondocking, many times the wheels on one side are not touching the ground. I have 6 x 5000 lb jacks for a total of 30,000 lbs. That is 40% over my total GVW of my trailer. I am not worried about it.
__________________
2014 Volvo 630 Tandem 2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, crew cab
2016 Fuzion 325T
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:37 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 25
Jacking up a 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
You have 3 choices: Follow what the service center told you by finding a shop that will do it, do it yourself supported, or get the service done and dont worry about it.

I am guessing far less people worry about it, do based on a google search. What do you do when on uneven ground and the wheels one side do not touch the ground?

While boondocking, many times the wheels on one side are not touching the ground. I have 6 x 5000 lb jacks for a total of 30,000 lbs. That is 40% over my total GVW of my trailer. I am not worried about it.
I think you're right in guessing most people don't worry about it and that may be because they don't know any better. The jacks you're referring to must be leveling jacks and certainly they are made to be able to lift the wheels off the ground. I don't have leveling jacks, only the two front landing jacks which I don't have a specific rating on, but when I jack up a wheel on one side, most of the weight that was on two landing jacks is put on the landing jack on the opposite side, when there is not support under the king pin. My 5th wheel GVWR is 14,000 lbs.
rgevans871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:43 AM   #7
Member
 
bookemdanno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 73
Jacking up a 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgevans871 View Post
You're trailer is not a 5th Wheel, so my question isn't applicable to your unit.

How exactly isnít my trailer a 5th wheel??? Last time I checked it was and it connects to the B&W in my dually truck bed. Next time know your facts before posting. And FYI, itís a Jayco. North Point 377RLBH. Go to their website if you donít think itís a 5er!
__________________
'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD & '16 Jayco NP 377
bookemdanno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:49 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,470
When we had our Laredo I did it with the 5th wheel hooked to the truck. If I took it some place I just waited until it was finished and left it hooked to the truck.
But now with the Road Warrior, it has the Level Up system, it is not hooked to the truck.
__________________
2018 Road Warrior 427/2016 golf cart (gas)
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:31 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Billett Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 818
I've got a 13k fiver and I've changed the tires multiple times and I have never hooked to truck to stabilize because we only have 1 vehicle and then I couldn't take the tire to get repaired. I use 2-12 ton bottle jacks on wood blocks to lift up one side. It's never moved or settled after several hours
__________________
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 25
Jacking up a 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookemdanno View Post
How exactly isnít my trailer a 5th wheel??? Last time I checked it was and it connects to the B&W in my dually truck bed. Next time know your facts before posting. And FYI, itís a Jayco. North Point 377RLBH. Go to their website if you donít think itís a 5er!
I made the comment based on the description on your post: "14 Ram 2500 MC CTD & '14 Jayco 287BHBE" and the picture of your rig. Sorry.
rgevans871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:09 PM   #11
Member
 
bookemdanno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgevans871 View Post
I made the comment based on the description on your post: "14 Ram 2500 MC CTD & '14 Jayco 287BHBE" and the picture of your rig. Sorry.
My bad too...I guess I never updated my signature! It's been updated now. Thanks for bringing to my attention. Not on here as often as I am on the Jayco forum.
__________________
'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD & '16 Jayco NP 377
bookemdanno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,666
When jacking a rv trailer or any of my other trailer types off the ground I never leave it hooked to the tow vehicle. With the trailer still hooked to the truck and trying to get all the tires off the ground your lifting the truck also.

Now if I'm changing a flat tire or doing service to that one wheel assy I never jack the trailer. I simply slide my jack under the end of the axle tube next to the U bolt. That way I'm just lifting one end of the axle which does not place stress on landing jacks nor affect the axle tube. On the road of course the truck/trailer is attached so no issues other than make sure the trucks E brake is on. And of course no issues with the trailer sitting on just the landing jacks. IMO too many rv folks over think jacking issues on their trailers.

The Dexter Service Center may or may not follow Dexter Corp guideline for jacking a trailer. Everything I've read from Dexter on jacking issues says to see your trailer mfg.

I made a living towing non rv trailer and one learns a lot about changing a flat tire at 3am in the morning in west TX staked plains on a secondary state road with 12 below temps or scorching 115 heat in southern NM/TX on a busy hiway.
__________________
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:24 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 25
Jacking up a 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
When jacking a rv trailer or any of my other trailer types off the ground I never leave it hooked to the tow vehicle. With the trailer still hooked to the truck and trying to get all the tires off the ground your lifting the truck also.

Now if I'm changing a flat tire or doing service to that one wheel assy I never jack the trailer. I simply slide my jack under the end of the axle tube next to the U bolt. That way I'm just lifting one end of the axle which does not place stress on landing jacks nor affect the axle tube. On the road of course the truck/trailer is attached so no issues other than make sure the trucks E brake is on. And of course no issues with the trailer sitting on just the landing jacks. IMO too many rv folks over think jacking issues on their trailers.

The Dexter Service Center may or may not follow Dexter Corp guideline for jacking a trailer. Everything I've read from Dexter on jacking issues says to see your trailer mfg.

I made a living towing non rv trailer and one learns a lot about changing a flat tire at 3am in the morning in west TX staked plains on a secondary state road with 12 below temps or scorching 115 heat in southern NM/TX on a busy hiway.
I think your method of lifting the end of the axle next to the U bolt is good, but being Newmar specifically put reinforcing tubing on the frame flange both behind and in front of the dual wheels I've been using a bottle jack to lift on the frame which avoids having to crawl underneath the trailer to set the jack under the end of the axle.

The Dexter Service Center recommendation was from a Service Tech that was changing out my axles and he was following his own recommendation. I was there.

I have a tendency to over think a lot of things so maybe I am here. I'm glad I didn't have a flat tire or other issue when traveling across west TX. Had a harrowing flat tire experience on a Phoenix freeway, but not at 3 AM. Thanks for you're input.
rgevans871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:13 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Triangle Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bermuda Islands
Posts: 894
JMO but jacking one wheel at a time without being on the truck is no big deal. All that is happening is the spring being compressed a little to get the wheel off the ground.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th wheel



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jacking 5th wheel (Torsion axle) kamper00 5th Wheel Discussion 4 05-30-2018 05:10 AM
jacking 5th wheel off the ground mb2go 5th Wheel Discussion 9 02-06-2014 02:34 AM
Jacking/blocking up 39 ft. fifth wheel mjonesjules Full-Timers 1 06-06-2013 06:08 PM
Jacking 5th Wheel for Tire Change first5thwheel 5th Wheel Discussion 30 04-12-2012 06:16 PM
Jacking up Large Fifth Wheel Loal 5th Wheel Discussion 17 03-15-2006 11:15 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.