Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2015, 05:04 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
jayco Designer axles question

Who is the manufaturer of the axles for the 2007 models of the Designer? Next, expected brake shoe life?...I know this is cannot be an exact answer.
last, how offen does one lube the axle bearing?
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 05:22 AM   #2
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
Who is the manufaturer of the axles for the 2007 models of the Designer? Next, expected brake shoe life?...I know this is cannot be an exact answer.
last, how offen does one lube the axle bearing?

Really no way to tell the brand. Pulling a wheel and the brake drum should tell you a brand name cast on the surface. Also, by crawling underneath, Dexter stamps a part number on the back side. It may take some less then gentle cleaning to get the number then a phone call to them will give you what is needed. Brake shoe life is like the cars of the past. It depends on how much and how hard they are being used along with intangibles like do you ride with your foot on the TV's brake pedal, adjustment, amount of rust that collects between use, acting as sandpaper. Axle bearings according to Dexter is once a year or 12,000 miles. Once a year is probably very conservative if the trailer is not used many miles a year, but every two years is a good bet. Dig into the Dexter website 'library' and they will have lots of good info, regardless of whatever brand you have. Also, Dexter, now owned by Lippert, now owns AL-KO Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Resource Library
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:22 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My guess would be Dexter axle, but that is just a guess. There should be a tag on the center of the axle tube that will tell you. As far as the brakes, it depends a lot on the weight of the unit and how often you use them.
Dexter recommends that the bearings be serviced once a year or every 12,000miles. I like to take mine apart even though I have the EZ lube axles, that way I can inspect the brakes and then adjust them every year. I do mine every spring, and rotate the tires at the same time.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #4

If it's Dexter it will have a label on the middle of the axle tube with the serial number and all other info.

Also you can call the manufacturer and give them your VIN number and they should be able to tell you what they are.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #5

My 2008 Designer had Dexters on it. Your 07 probably does too.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:59 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
thanks all
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco