Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2017, 05:59 AM   #1

Joyrider shocks

After I installed the Morryde shackle kit to our 5r, I installed the Joyrider shocks. Bit more involved than the shackles. I needed to move a gas line and add brackets to hold it in place. The installation directions could be a little more specific.

Measurements need to be made with the unit in a tow configuration. In other words, only front jacks on the ground. All others off the ground. You could hook up to your TV and raise the front jacks as well, but it won't make a difference.

After measurements are made, you need to find long drill bits to have enough length to drill pilot holes for the upper shock mount. It's mounted to the frame.

Or you can do like I did and remove the wheels, springs and equalizer on the side your working on. Since I had just replace the bolts and shackles this added only 1/2 hr to the project.

I didn't worry about measuring the other side as the measurements would be the same.

Below is a couple of pics from the inside showing the finished install. In the first pic you'll see the gas line rerouted inboard of the shocks. Second pic is a closeup on the other side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1955.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	161765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1956.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	161766  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2017, 08:04 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks for the post/pix. Please update on any improvement in ride with the addition.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #3

Where did you get them?

I cant find them available anywhere and thats what i need as I dont have 4" clearamce between tire and frame.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #4

I got mine from Tweety's.

Tweetys.com - RV Parts & Accessories - RV Hitches - Search

You might be able to find them cheaper somewhere else. Last fall when I purchased them, Tweety's had the best price. You'll need to know the diameter of your axles. Mine are 3".

We're leaving Friday for a couple of weeks, couple of thousand mile trip. I'll let you know how they do.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #5

A person can also install shocks on the Al Ko axles......independent suspension
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Where did you get them?

I cant find them available anywhere and thats what i need as I dont have 4" clearamce between tire and frame.
Camping World & Tweetys carry them.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:02 AM   #7

2x Any improvements on ride quality?
Rhino Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:05 AM   #8

I should know by Friday evening. That's the first leg of our trip.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #9

Ok, so I said I'd know by Friday, and I did. But no service. Got to Kentucky and service is spotty at best. Leaving tomorrow for Illinois then Missouri.

What I've noticed.

I truly believe the ride had improved immensely.

Some roads are just crap and no matter what you have the ride will suffer. A section of 69 in Michigan makes you feel your on a buckin' bronco as an example. Then there's poor road maintenance and on and on. You know what I mean.

When I'd hit a bad section of road, I'd look in my side mirrors and see what the 5r was doing. It WASN'T bouncing around. And we felt the difference in the cab.

I re-torqued the u-bolts after the first stop and i'll check them again when we get to Missouri.

Bottom line, in my opinion, well worth the money for these shocks.

Tags
shocks