Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2020, 06:01 AM   #1

Just a reminder, "Don't forget about tail swing"

I was at a gas pump yesterday, a large 5'ver was filling his Ram. He looked a little close to the pumps, didn't think anymore about it until I came out. He was looking disgusted as his camper was real close to the last gas pump. Unfortunately, he had to cut it sharp leaving the station due to the curb, and the tail of his camper caught the bollard protecting the pump. Wedged it between the bumper and the rear corner. Store wasn't busy, and had a large area for trucks on that side. He was probably wishing he backed up to get away from the pumps more. Tail swing will get ya!
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2020, 06:11 AM   #2

...this happens more than you can imagine....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:32 AM   #3

I know he had to be sick about it, looked like a pretty new rig.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:50 AM   #4

As an FYI.....

Tail swing is THE NUMBER ONE ISSUE that was addressed to new school bus drivers as “actual” drive time was put into play during licensed training.
For those that still don’t get it, the amount of tail swing of ANY vehicle is based on 2 things...YMMV.

1. How long is the vehicle from the rear axle to rear of vehicle?
2. How sharp is the steering wheel turned for the distance covered?

With our motorhome and it’s tail swing, there are times when I may be presented with an “advanced green light” at an intersection, however, a vehicle in close proximity on my right side, could be subject to a severe strike or scrape.
Other drivers may not understand why I can’t proceed at the signal, but they’ve never driven anything larger than a Honda Civic.
(No disrespect to Honda)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:23 AM   #5

Just a reminder, "Don't forget about tail swing"

Yep, even experienced drivers have issues when not accessing positioning when pulling out. This happened to our 5th wheel when the dealer sent a driver to pick it up after trading it in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6037.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	550.7 KB
ID:	288616

Name:	IMG_6049.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	288617

He also did about $1,000.00 damage to my fence and gate. It caught so hard it cracked a 4x6 fence post.

Dealer paid for all the damage and sent me a nice apology letter.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #6

YEP! Done it myself. Fixed already but I clipped my carport leg. Had to fix both.

Next time I do it (if it's minor like this time) I will just put a bandaid sticker on it, or use some white flex seal and leave as is hehe.
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #7

I took my mailbox out once
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:20 AM   #8

We have a 8' swivel trailer behind our fifth wheel and I need to really be aware of tail swing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Swivel Trailer.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	289003  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
As an FYI.....

Tail swing is THE NUMBER ONE ISSUE that was addressed to new school bus drivers as “actual” drive time was put into play during licensed training.
For those that still don’t get it, the amount of tail swing of ANY vehicle is based on 2 things...YMMV.

1. How long is the vehicle from the rear axle to rear of vehicle?
2. How sharp is the steering wheel turned for the distance covered?

With our motorhome and it’s tail swing, there are times when I may be presented with an “advanced green light” at an intersection, however, a vehicle in close proximity on my right side, could be subject to a severe strike or scrape.
Other drivers may not understand why I can’t proceed at the signal, but they’ve never driven anything larger than a Honda Civic.
(No disrespect to Honda)
I have a few places like that here in town close to my house, now, I just take up the straight and turn lane, works each time, I have yet to have someone ticked off, and they are pretty courteous. I do get looks of amazement though when I turn and have it perfect between the lane and curb. I had one guy in a turn lane backup because no one was behind him, to give me room to swing into the turn lane to make the turn, and the look on his face when I kept it in my lane, was priceless.
mattyrj is offline   Reply With Quote