Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #29

Mid Atlantic Campers
We just bought a 2016 DRV Mobile Suites and did the factory tour before we made the final decision. I think you will be impressed wit their quality and customer service.
Whatever you choose I would strongly suggest you do the factory tour so you can ask questions and have a comfort level about the 5'ver you are buying.

Enjoy the road. We do

bigdon68

2008 F350 CC 2WD LB 6.4 Lariat Auto SRW, Retrax, AirSafe Hitch, Train Horns, On-Board air, RideRites, Aux Tank, 19.5 Michelins

2016 Mobile Suites, induction cooktop, solar, (4) 6 volt, full paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig., more
Don & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Redwood is a step above most but I can't recommend it. I looked hard at it when shopping and chassis turned me off. Not downing it just not in league with DRV, luxe. And I may put too much into chassis but I want no failure in that area.
No recommendation on Redwood here either. We are workampers in the summer months, so we get a chance to talk to owners of various rigs. By and large the Redwood owners seem to have the most problems (that they actually will talk about). For us, the Redwood is not in the same class as the MS, Luxe, or even the Ambition.

Just a few comparisons - MS, Luxe, Ambition all have disk brakes. That was a big requirement for us since our previous 5er had them and stopped easily. MS and Luxe have Mor-Ryde IS suspensions, the Ambition has Mor-Ryde SRE 4000 with greasable shackles. From what we have seen, the Redwood is not on the same level suspension wise. 40 lb propane tanks vs. 30 lb. in the Redwood, which doesn't sound like a big deal until you stay in colder temps...needing to refill propane approx. 25% less of the time is great!

Don't want to start a fire, just like apples-apples comparisons.
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:37 AM   #31

We spent two years looking for a used unit (a new one was out of the budget). We looked at DRV, Excel, New Horizons, Newmar and other and we ended up with DRV because we found a fantastic deal on a 2010 36TKSB3 for a little over 40k. We live in WI but looked all over and bought the unit in IN. It paid to buy our unit from a dealer that sold Class A coaches.
scout4eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #32

We have owned 2 Drv's, so we have a biased opinion. I would also recommend a factory tour, if possible, even if you buy a used unit. Look for owner's groups online and read the comments about their units. Drv's is www.suitesowners.com. You can post a comment or ask any question. You are going to get your best info from actual owners.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:16 PM   #33

Thanks so much everybody. Price point is below $150k. Really liked the Mor/ride I/S suspension, disk brakes and beafy frames in DRV and Luxe. Box frame vs I beam with box? Went in a DRV and Landmark 365 side by side at 10 am in Texas. Both excellent but different units. The DRV with hung walls was lots cooler than the LM with 2" laminated walls.Made me a believer in this wall construction But have heard a few problems with insulation sagging over time. Don't see how we can spend this much money without going to both factories first. Great advice on PDI. Any other comparisons, suggestions or thoughts greatly appreciated
1Warren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #34

We bought a Luxe and absolutely love it. If you are looking, definitely look at Mobile Suite or Luxe. We looked hard at both but ultimately went with Luxe. My personal opinion is their product is the best, but since they sold us factory direct that is what sealed the deal. Mobile suite is great too though and I don't think you will go wrong either way, but the Luxe had more of what we wanted in our unit. Good luck deciding.
Fulltiming1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Redwood is a step above most but I can't recommend it. I looked hard at it when shopping and chassis turned me off. Not downing it just not in league with DRV, luxe. And I may put too much into chassis but I want no failure in that area.
I am like you, if the chassis isn't up to par I keep on looking. After chassis it has to have heavy axles or an option to add, disc brakes and MorRyde IS.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #36

That's why we bought the Lifestyle - heavy handmade steel frame, well built walls, very solid floor, walkable roof, 17,000 lb axles, disc brakes, MorRyde suspension, Bigfoot levelers and more - check them out.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:34 AM   #37

If money is no object, buy a good one new. If you need to buy used, let me throw in the name Carriage. Excellent made units on a box framework made by them. The company went down during the bust, but the units are still out there at a good price. Look at the CarriLite or Carriage models. All interior cabinets are Carriage factory produced solid wood and excellent materials. Side walls are framed and not vacuum bonded with styro insulation. The Lifestyle has a new factory right down the road from the old Carriage factory and is producing extremely similar units with the Carriage personnel including engineering and production people - - many of them are the local Amish population who are excellent craftsmen. Most will have IS suspension, Disk brakes, etc. Highly recommend them. My Carriage unit is now 16 years old and still in great shape after seeing all of US, Canada, Alaska and Mexico.

You mentioned length. After spending lots of time in our 37'er, I would not go any longer than that. Very open and spacious with storage galore in the Carriage units. We have generator and hard wired 2000w inverter and spend many months in dry camping. Carriage produced some amazing floor plans with full wall slides or 5 slides. This gives you a lot of floor space. Take a look - - I think you will love it. And, you will save a ton of money going used.

Bob
Old 03-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #38

Carriage is gone and Lifestyle replaced them, but as of 2016, Lifestyle no longer has the Titan frame so make sure you get a Titan and not a Titan 2. They're on closeout due to the changes - Guaranty RV has some and Johnny Bishop has one on closeout - $75,000 for a $130,000 Lifestyle fifth wheel with the original Carriage / Lifestyle construction.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:12 PM   #39

I bought 320rs Bayhill from evergreen. It has been the worse experience ever, spent 5 weeks at the dealer who didn't have a clue. Everygreen came and picked it up and took it to the factory for 2 months. Got ready to load it up today and the kitchen slide broke. This is my 3- 5th wheel and I have never had this bad of an experience with anything. I don't even want to go RVing anymore.
phillipbeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipbeckm View Post
I bought 320rs Bayhill from evergreen. It has been the worse experience ever, spent 5 weeks at the dealer who didn't have a clue. Everygreen came and picked it up and took it to the factory for 2 months. Got ready to load it up today and the kitchen slide broke. This is my 3- 5th wheel and I have never had this bad of an experience with anything. I don't even want to go RVing anymore.
Have you looked into the Lemon Law? If your state has one I would seriously look into it.

I am looking at the Bayhill, thanks for the input.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:04 AM   #41

I'd check out Heartland products. We have a 2011 Elkridge, and have over 120,000 miles on it. Just the normal shake down issues at first. Great interior quality, lots of extra features built in. Have made 3 trips to Alaska from the east coast, two cross country trips. No issues.
Elkridge2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #42

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnandon View Post
No recommendation on Redwood here either. We are workampers in the summer months, so we get a chance to talk to owners of various rigs. By and large the Redwood owners seem to have the most problems (that they actually will talk about). For us, the Redwood is not in the same class as the MS, Luxe, or even the Ambition.

Just a few comparisons - MS, Luxe, Ambition all have disk brakes. That was a big requirement for us since our previous 5er had them and stopped easily. MS and Luxe have Mor-Ryde IS suspensions, the Ambition has Mor-Ryde SRE 4000 with greasable shackles. From what we have seen, the Redwood is not on the same level suspension wise. 40 lb propane tanks vs. 30 lb. in the Redwood, which doesn't sound like a big deal until you stay in colder temps...needing to refill propane approx. 25% less of the time is great!

Don't want to start a fire, just like apples-apples comparisons.
I liked at everything when trailer shopping. It came down to redwood luxe and elite suites. For the money the redwood was the best bang for our buck. I ordered 8k axles installed centerpoint suspension and joy rider shocks 40 lb bottles 6.5kw onan h rated tires. These are all options you can get from the factory. No suspension problems here. Was still cheaper than the other 2 and as far as I am concerned as well built