Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #1

Just looking for a well built fifth wheel

Wow.A little overwhelmed by forum. I have had two bumper pulls and currently own a 35 foot fifth wheel. Don't want to bash any brand but I have had many quality issues and a few self imposed problems. My wife and I will be retired at the end of this year and we will be out a week to 2 or 3 months at a time. Is there somewhere to get an honest assessment of the quality of fifth wheels on the market? Will a 38 to 40 footer severely limit the RV campgrounds we can go to? We have a dually so weight not really an issue. We are looking at DRV and Augusta Luxe or others. They seem to be high Quality. I hope so. Thank you.
1Warren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 09:08 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Warren1 View Post
Wow.A little overwhelmed by forum. I have had two bumper pulls and currently own a 35 foot fifth wheel. Don't want to bash any brand but I have had many quality issues and a few self imposed problems. My wife and I will be retired at the end of this year and we will be out a week to 2 or 3 months at a time. Is there somewhere to get an honest assessment of the quality of fifth wheels on the market? Will a 38 to 40 footer severely limit the RV campgrounds we can go to? We have a dually so weight not really an issue. We are looking at DRV and Augusta Luxe or others. They seem to be high Quality. I hope so. Thank you.
Welcome Warren,

You might get a better response about 5th wheels in this thread.

5th Wheel Discussion - iRV2 Forums
Old 02-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #3

I had good luck with the quality and workmanship of my Cardinal but my information is really dated now. Used it a lot for 7 years and nothing broke. Had a few initial repair item but that is pretty normal. As to the size of the 5er it really depends on your style of use. If you like state and federal parks you will have some challenges. But that is location specific. For example, in CA you will be limited, in OR or AZ no problem. If you like private campgrounds/resorts you won't have much to worry about. I've always found a spot very close to where we wanted to be so don't worry about it. A little planning is a good thing. Lots of sites are misleading - one federal campground I like to say at on a lake lists every site as 30 feet but my 40' fits easily. Use Google Earth to help you.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:31 PM   #4

We are in the same boat, so to say. Looking at Landmark 365, DRV, Augusta Luxe and Lifestyle 5th wheel trailers. Spent the majority of the day on RV lots looking around. Present 5th wheel is lacking in quality and suffers a poor floor plan. We would consider our selves part time full timers traveling 3 to 6 months at a time. We like the quality a luxury rig should offer, but know the reality of rv trailer manufacturing. Hoping some others have had experience with these high end rigs and may be able to help form a decision for us.
GQcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:57 AM   #5

We've had our 5th wheel for 3 years and have been happy with the quality. Some components (common to all brands) have been a problem however. Our 4th A/C is being installed tomorrow
Dranoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:19 AM   #6

My reccomendations:
  • Spend a lot of time looking, poking, prodding and researching
  • Get a short list of manufacturers, keep in mind any of them can build a crappy unit every now and again
  • Find a floor plan that will work for you
  • Find a dealer you are comfortable with
  • THOROUGH PDI (Pre-Deliver Inspection) and don't sign anything until it meets your approval
  • Consider gently used if they will meet your needs
  • Have fun once you get it

One of the best built units I have ever seen were the Teton Homes, sadly they are out of business. If you can find a well cared for used one Grab It! Just a heads up, they run heavy for their size.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:30 AM   #7

Get a thorough PDI sheet, and go through everything before signing, when we got our trailer PDI took 7 hours, we checked everything, water tank, water heater (propane and electric), oven, stove , AC, holding tanks and valves and sensors , inverter, converter, slides,genny and hour meter, refrigerator, and electronics.

Don't let sales or maint. people rush you, if they do go see Owner of Company.
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:08 AM   #8

We had the same question. After learning most trailers are made on the same chassis with the same cheap materials, we were happy to find the Lifestyle. It's is one of the only truly handmade and high quality fifth wheels. Very nice, beautifully engineered with high quality materials and equipment. They are changing in 2016. You have to get a 2016 or earlier to get the handmade frame. We found a few leftovers around the country and dealers are willing to make a deal. We just bought ours and the discounted price was only slightly higher than other "luxury" trailers. We have solid cherry cabinets and stainless steel appliances where the others have have paper walls and plastic sink basins! The other we liked were the Momentum which is better than the typical trailer with real wood and nice details but basically the same as the others. The Lifestyle was the only one that met our quality standard. Too bad they're not making them like that anymore. Do yourself a favor and search RVTrader for Lifestyle.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

We pulled a 36' Cedar Creek 5er for 10 years before getting the MH. We loved it! I never regretted getting the 36', although there were a few places we couldn't get into. Considering the extra space we didn't think of it as a problem.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:11 AM   #10

Thanks everybody. This is fantastic. Learned a lot already.I still have much research to do. That PDI info is spot on. Sure seems like the salesmen and dealers will say about anything and not really knowledgeable about products. RVing is a great way to see the country and meet great people. We love it
1Warren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:31 PM   #11

Warren:

DRV and Luxe are great choices. I'll put a plug in for VanLeigh RV, they have a 35 and a 39 foot versions and they are great folks that stand behind their product. Good luck with your decision.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny1763 View Post
Warren:

....I'll put a plug in for VanLeigh RV, they have a 35 and a 39 foot versions and they are great folks that stand behind their product....

The Vanleigh website only shows 1 model, the 38'11" Vilano. That's too long for us, but the 35' might work. Where did you see it? Thx.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome 1Warren1,
We ended up getting a motorhome but spent a couple of years looking at 5th wheels. We liked the larger Bayhill models. I believe Bayhill will be building the Lifestyle models now. Worth a look in my opinion.
Good luck with your search. Be patient and do your homework.

Cheers
Old 02-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Never ever buy anything build by Thor Industries Keystone Company. They do not support their dealers or customers. There are a lot of good builders out there, but keystone is not one.
Harshy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote