Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2015, 12:10 AM   #1

Question Kayak rack for a 5er???

Hi is there such a thing as a kayak rack for a 5er?

Like similar to a bike rack, is there something to hang and tie the kayaks down vertically to the rear of the 5er? And if so, have you had any experience with them.

Thanks for your input.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 12:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Hi is there such a thing as a kayak rack for a 5er?

Like similar to a bike rack, is there something to hang and tie the kayaks down vertically to the rear of the 5er? And if so, have you had any experience with them.

Thanks for your input.
Ok just googled them and there are several of these around. Would love to get some feedback on anyone that has used them please. Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:51 AM   #3

I've thought about the very same thing, but it would only work with shorter yaks. Mine are 13-14 ft long so there's no way it would ever be feasible for me. I'm building a very specialized rack for the truck instead, but it wouldn't work with a 5er.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:48 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to M zoll
I seen one on a pickup and a 5th wheel camper,and the guy said it works great.
There was a receiver on the front of the truck,and a pole that looks like a ladder rack and behind the cab another rack.
Had two canoes striped down,and he said he has drove every where with them ,and no problem.
it's about 12 feet behind the cab to the front bumper on a CC Cab truck
B&W Companion 5th wheel
M zoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:10 AM   #5

I am currently building a rack as you described as I am not willing to pay $2000. Mine will mount on the rear bumper but could also be modified to go into the receiver hitch. Mine will be vertical. I have 2 Yaks and they are just under 10'. Anything longer may not work. I will post pictures when done.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #6

Kayaking and fifth wheel

I have a 14ft Kayak that I put on the top of my GMC crew cab. I have a receiver hitch in the front of my truck and use a pad on the roof. I purchased a boat rack to fit in the front receiver. It doesn't interfere with the fifth wheel and works nicely. It would work better if I had a rack for the back that fit into the stack pockets of the truck box. I'll be building one of those.
swampsitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #7

We have the front receiver hitch and Thule Goal Post. When not towing we move the Goal Post to the back. Here's what it looks like. It works really well. The boats are 14'4" long.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 380FL
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali dually with 6.6L Duramax and B&W Companion hitch
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #8

I have this same looking setup. It has works very well.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
We have the front receiver hitch and Thule Goal Post. When not towing we move the Goal Post to the back. Here's what it looks like. It works really well. The boats are 14'4" long.

Thanks so much everyone for your input. This one is exactly what I want and will work for us. This won't extend the length of the 5er (which i am very concerned about) and this won't interfere with the 5er at all in transit.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #10

I use a similar setup and the single kayak while sitting upright makes a great wind deflector the prevents the flies from sticking on the trailer cap and saves fuel at the same time. It's also very important to use a single center pole for clear view. One fellow told me he got stopped and was told to unload. He had a dual pole setup.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:20 AM   #11

Should work on a 5'R

mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #12

We wrestled with this question a few years back and went with a Hobi inflatable .Packs into a suitcase like carrier and is 16ft & 2 seats.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:49 AM   #13

L.C.Gray, when you have your rack built and attached to your truck, please post photos for us. I just bought a 14ft yak. Thanks