Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hey Old-Biscuit, Do you recommend redoing the locks? I’d not be interested in changing out the slam latches because they are color keyed to the Coach.

Not that I know a lot about a slam-latch but the ones on the River Ranch seemed right sturdy!
Peace of mind.........

WHEN you take delivery and get over the excitement remove a slam latch and take it to a Lock Smith ...check out your options then decide Yea/Nea
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2021, 11:15 AM   #16

This might work.

You’ll need to assess your risk of theft. Here’s 2 quick stories.

At a rally, I left the patio awning out and went to play golf. It has an auto retract wind sensor, but that uses an average wind speed which can also fail without notice. One of the attendees, went around to check any unattended coaches. He opened our bay door with the 751 key and retracted the awning with the control box in the basement.

When we kept the coach in storage for a brief period, the coach next to ours had an exterior door that was ajar. I lifted the door slightly to see a TV inside. I locked the door with my 751 key.

Where are you most concerned about theft? At an RV park, in storage, on the road? What are you concerned about having stolen? A lawn chair, garden hose, spare water pump, a gallon of oil?

Any of those doors can be opened with a screwdriver or brute force. So, do you want to repair the damage and replace what was stolen, or just replace what was stolen? And, do you want to make it more difficult for someone to access your storage area in the event of an urgent situation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BD983DC7-4C86-4C00-83C6-E25FD1C5237B.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	348183  
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:24 AM   #17

Hi Kid Gloves, I just don’t want to make it easy. I don’t want someone walking up with a key and simply open the door. If I make them work a little maybe I have a chance of doing something!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 12:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi Kid Gloves, I just don’t want to make it easy. I don’t want someone walking up with a key and simply open the door. If I make them work a little maybe I have a chance of doing something!
Understood. Just attempting to present a perspective which you may not have considered.

Regarding the Cabela’s incident, those types of locations frequently attract opportunists. It is possible that the other side of the story is that the person with whom you spoke, put his tool box on display for the world to see. Then closed up shop for the evening. In my opinion, it would be prudent, in such a situation, to keep the storage bay doors closed unless it was essential to open them.

RV parks have a record of every guest and neighbors quickly learn who belongs to which RV. Storage facilities typically have locked gates and codes to enter, in addition to video cameras. Free, overnight parking spots are always a gamble.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:29 AM   #19

Smile

The 751 is only on your compartment doors not the entry door. There are websites for new locks and they will explain what to do to measure for the locks. this is definitely a DIY project and I can't think of a more expensive way to do it than a lock smith. Just be sure to be careful and count the locks correctly. I replaced all mine and gave away the 751 keys and then discovered that my door was open when I counted and there was a door for the washer/dryer access behind it. Then I had to go find a 751 so I could open it.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:45 AM   #20

Hi bddadles, I just found out that River Ranch use eight (8) different keys, none of which are the two I mentioned earlier. That is great news!!! The thought of someone having easy access to my coach was not a happy one.

Folks at Columbus who did walk arounds of the RR pointed out many things on the RR that are only found on upper $ line DP. I’m very happy to find out they’re just as serious about the keys they use.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:19 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does anyone realize a compartment door broken into costs more than the junk inside? Like a grand.
I never lock the lower compartments. Haven't in 10 years. If they steal that stuff, I can get newer better stuff.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:22 AM   #22

EIGHT keys? I would go nuts. I wish I had ONE key for everything, including the tow vehicle and house. Keys area big thorn in my side. I hate hauling huge keychains in my pockets.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:09 AM   #23

Hi guys, I agree about all the keys but I will only have two. One for the Coach main door and one for all the basement doors.

As for not locking the doors… A thief will try to get in with doors locked or not, I get that. But I believe slowing them down can be to my benefit. And I don’t want to say NO when the cop asked “was it locked”?

And locking the doors will keep some, less then honest, campers from trying their hand with my stuff. That’s why I also secure my surge protector at the post so five finger Louie can’t score him a deal!!!