Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2017, 06:07 PM   #1

Keystone Cougar Landing Gear

I recently purchased a used 2010 Keystone Cougar 320 SRX fifth wheeler. My problem is with the landing gear. When I retract it following hooking up, if I don't release the switch relatively soon after the landing gear tops out, the fuse blows. I can prevent this (sometimes) by releasing the switch as soon as possible when I see the landing gear stop, but to me, it shouldn't work like this. Has anyone else seen this problem?
tlploeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #2

Is the fuse the right amp rating for the landing gear ?

If it is, an automatic resetable circuit breaker will cure that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #3

Keystone Cougar Landing Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Is the fuse the right amp rating for the landing gear ?

If it is, an automatic resetable circuit breaker will cure that.
Thanks for the quick response. The first time it blew I replaced the fuse with one of the same rating (30 amps), so I'm assuming that it is the correct rating. To me, there should be some sort of cutout that stops the motor when it tops out, but maybe that is not necessarily the case. I'll look into the resettable circuit breaker, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:19 PM   #4

I don't think you're really supposed to keep the switch on at all once it reaches the top. Mine blew once under the same circumstances. I have marks on my gear and stop 1/4" or so from the top so it never grinds.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I don't think you're really supposed to keep the switch on at all once it reaches the top. Mine blew once under the same circumstances. I have marks on my gear and stop 1/4" or so from the top so it never grinds.
I like the idea of putting marks on the landing gear, easier than trying to wire in a circuit breaker into an in-line fuse holder (started thinking about that after the first response). Thanks to both of you for your help and quick responses.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #6

While I like the responses you had, I'm not convinced there's not a problem. I have electric slide outs and electric landing gears. It's natural for us to hold the button for a second or so to make sure it's all retracted all the way. I do and have no problem.

A fuse is normally higher than the required amps to make things work. Sometimes double. So a 30 amp fuse is the last resort to a system that MAY only take 10 to 20 to work.

Could you guys throw an amp meter on the wires controlling the system to see what they read? Try each motor, front and back to get an average.

Now, I said I have no problem. That kinda, sorta wasn't the whole truth. I have a problem with one of my landing gear motors. It draws more amps than the rest. If I run things too long, it blows the automatic breaker. Lippert won't tell me what the norma amp draw should be. They also won't tell the repair center I use. :(
Old 04-22-2017, 06:59 AM   #7

When I bought my 2012 Cougar, the dealer showed me about marking my legs an inch or so prior to full retraction and to use that mark as a stopping point. It's been five seasons and no blown fuses.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #8

This is typical for a Keystone Cougar to have the fuse fail. When I owned my 2010, 318SAB the dealer had me purchase three extra fuses. The dealer salesman stated the fuse will fail if the legs switch is held in when the legs are fully retracted. That's the fail safe to prevent the motor from overheating per the salesman.

As stated above mark the legs with a permeant marker and retract to that line you will never failed a fuse after that. We did that and never failed a fuse after our first failure.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:07 AM   #9

Agree with the above. There's no need to retract the legs until the your hear grinding and fuse pops. Just mark the legs an inch before they top out.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ditto. Had the same fuse issue until I marked the legs, problem solved-easy fix
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:03 PM   #11

Smile Landing Gear Fuse Blowing

There is no need to fully retract your landing gear, unless your riding extremely low. Allow at least 2-3 inches before the landing gear is fully retracted. On my unit the front landing gear has a 35 amp fuse (factory standard for my unit). Good luck and keep enjoying your unit
Thomas J. is offline   Reply With Quote