Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2021, 08:52 AM   #1

Keystone High Country 331RL

Looking for advice on towing a Keystone High Country GVWR 14,260 Pin 2,265 with a 3/4 ton truck. Is it possible or is the dealer leading me to a disaster?
TGiboney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2021, 08:57 AM   #2

Need to know the specs on the 3/4 ton to give any kind of an answer .

Does the 3/4 ton have a payload capacity over 3,000 lbs ?

Max tow rating in the range of 18,000 lbs.?
Old 03-29-2021, 10:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Need to know the specs on the 3/4 ton to give any kind of an answer .

Does the 3/4 ton have a payload capacity over 3,000 lbs ?

Max tow rating in the range of 18,000 lbs.?

Sorry should have statd that we have not purchased a truck yet. We are finalizinng the 5th we want and are 99% sure it will be the 331rl (As long as my better half does not see anything else she likes)

The dealer has stated we can towe it with a modern 3/4 tone but I keep looking at the numbers and not 100% sure. We dont want to go down the wrong road and have replace a new truck in the same year or week
TGiboney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:27 AM   #4

I took delivery of my 331RL a couple of months ago. I tow it with a 2011 F250 XL Power Stroke Diesel single rear wheel with a 6.5ft box without issue. My fifth wheel towing capacity is 14,000 pounds (the 331RL weighs 11,695 pounds dry) and has a payload capacity of 3,895 pounds (the 331RL hitch weight is 2,295 pounds). This is the third fifth wheel I have towed with this truck, and admittedly the biggest.

I assume you will be buying a newer truck than my 2011, and no matter what brand you buy (Ford, GM, Ram) your towing and payload numbers will be higher than mine.

With all of that said, my fifth wheel sits in an RV resort 95% of the time, I only take it out a few times a year for a change of scenery (or for service), and I never go very far, 100 miles max. If I was criss-crossing the country and racking up the miles, I would probably upgrade to a 1 ton diesel. The F250 has never made me nervous or felt inadequate, but I would just want more margin for comfort.

So the answer, as always, it depends on what you are doing. There is a maxim around here, "you can never have too much truck" , and it generally holds true.
BigBlueRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueRV View Post
I took delivery of my 331RL a couple of months ago. I tow it with a 2011 F250 XL Power Stroke Diesel single rear wheel with a 6.5ft box without issue. My fifth wheel towing capacity is 14,000 pounds (the 331RL weighs 11,695 pounds dry) and has a payload capacity of 3,895 pounds (the 331RL hitch weight is 2,295 pounds). This is the third fifth wheel I have towed with this truck, and admittedly the biggest.

I assume you will be buying a newer truck than my 2011, and no matter what brand you buy (Ford, GM, Ram) your towing and payload numbers will be higher than mine.

With all of that said, my fifth wheel sits in an RV resort 95% of the time, I only take it out a few times a year for a change of scenery (or for service), and I never go very far, 100 miles max. If I was criss-crossing the country and racking up the miles, I would probably upgrade to a 1 ton diesel. The F250 has never made me nervous or felt inadequate, but I would just want more margin for comfort.

So the answer, as always, it depends on what you are doing. There is a maxim around here, "you can never have too much truck" , and it generally holds true.
Could you snap a pic of your payload label and post it here? I cannot ever remember seeing a 3/4 ton of that vintage with such a high payload, especially a diesel. Not saying it's impossible, but it sure seems really rare.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:06 AM   #6

My opinion is that you are going to be maxed out! I pull a 5ver that is about 13,500 all loaded up with my Ram 2500 gas engine. I have had lower gears put in & air bags added to help it pull better & it does okay. I have weighed it up & I am just about maxed out on every axle of the trailer & truck. I actually am over gross weight by about a 1,000lbs. I personally would not want to pull more than that with this truck. When I trade in here in a year or two, I will likely go to a 1 ton srw or possible a duel rear wheel. I have always been the type of guy to have a little more than what I need instead of the other way around. The only reason I am in the situation that I am in is because we decided to buy a trailer several years after the truck was purchased. When we were camper hunting, we were looking more for something in the 32-35' range, but this camper we bought (39') was so well taken care of & at a great price that we went for it. Could you do it with a new 3/4 ton truck? Yes, but I think you would have a much better pulling experience with a 1 ton srw or drw.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGiboney View Post
Sorry should have stated that we have not purchased a truck yet. We are finalizinng the 5th we want and are 99% sure it will be the 331rl (As long as my better half does not see anything else she likes)

The dealer has stated we can tow it with a modern 3/4 tone but I keep looking at the numbers and not 100% sure. We don't want to go down the wrong road and have replace a new truck in the same year or week

OK , I'll freely state that I haven't looked at all the ratings of all the new trucks ; it's been 11 years since I sold my last 5er. and the trailer weights you've given are beyond the capabilities of my last 3/4 ton tow vehicle .
There maybe a new properly equipped 3/4 ton out there for this 5er , but something to consider .
With a GVWR of 14,260 and given that loading for proper handling of a 5th wheel will put 18>20% of the trailer weight on the pin , the pin weight quoted has to be for an empty trailer . Realistically 2,850 on the pin is possible for the trailer loaded + the weight of the hitch , passengers & gear, in the truck . To have any margin for safety even my first statement of " over 3,000 lbs payload "would be marginal .
I'm thinking closer to 4,000 lbs payload, would be required .
Finding the right 3/4 ton or 1 ton SRW ( Single Rear Wheel ) is going to take some searching , with a careful eye on the numbers.

BTW: I towed my last 5er , loaded with only 15% of the trailer weight on the pin , on one trip , and that was a WHITE knuckle drive.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:26 PM   #8

First off, best wishes with the purchase of trailer and truck.
The fact that youíre raising the question indicates you already have some concerns and for good reason.

Personal experience is that I pulled my 2016 39í Keystone Alpine rated at 15,500 GVW for 3 years with a 2016 F250. Of course it pulled like a dream, looked okay with air bags, and I felt safe until
1. Friend of mine educated me on my truckís payload (~2100lbs) being my weak link. In short My pin weight was 500lbs beyond my payload capacity the day I left the dealership with an empty trailer.
2. Another friend shared a terrible story of his blowout on driverís side rear axle of 3/4 ton while pulling his 16k 5er.

I traded up to F350DRW and only then did I realize how well my F250 DID NOT handle my trailer. The difference is like night and day. Better ride, better handling in wind, better stopping, no ďlegal riskĒ of being beyond any states capacities. All translates to safer, more peace of mind and enjoyable travels.

From actual scale tickets (after buying the F350) I learned my trailer with typical load is just under 15k with 3200lbs on the pin, so I was 50% beyond my F250 payload....almost made me pass out thinking about it.

Just sharing my personal experience, but youíll never regret extra capacity when youíre hooked up.

Happy shopping & Safe travels,
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #9

I would look for a SRW 1 ton truck because a 3/4 ton will be maxxed out. That is never good.

I have a 2017 F-250 6.2 gas engine 2WD Lariat with the Lariat Ultimate Package. My payload is 3,497lbs. I would not tow more than a 10,000lb GVWR 5th wheel with my truck.

Ford, GM, Ram - take your pick. I just looked at a Chevy 2500HD with a diesel engine with a payload of 3,025lbs. A 3500 with have a payload of close to 4,000lbs.

With two new gas engines from Ford and GM the need for a diesel engine is lessened. I would look for a GM 3500 gas truck or a Ford 350 gas truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Could you snap a pic of your payload label and post it here? I cannot ever remember seeing a 3/4 ton of that vintage with such a high payload, especially a diesel. Not saying it's impossible, but it sure seems really rare.
This is out of the Power Stroke Diesel Supplement to my 2011 owners manual:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	towing 2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	323475  
Old 04-02-2021, 12:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueRV View Post
This is out of the Power Stroke Diesel Supplement to my 2011 owners manual:

Yeah, I thought that would be the response. I don't want to rain on your parade, but I suspect a quick look at the door jamb sticker on your truck will reveal much different numbers. A quick guess is payload at 2700lbs or less depending on configuration.

A proper weighing of truck alone and truck and trailer (camp ready) is recommended IMO.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Yeah, I thought that would be the response. I don't want to rain on your parade, but I suspect a quick look at the door jamb sticker on your truck will reveal much different numbers. A quick guess is payload at 2700lbs or less depending on configuration.

A proper weighing of truck alone and truck and trailer (camp ready) is recommended IMO.
Here is my door tag. I weighed the truck when I bought my last 5th wheel in 2016, my truck weighed 6,115 pounds, that was with me, the fifth wheel hitch and a full tank of diesel. My truck is extended cab (NOT crew cab) and has the 6.5 foot box. It is 2WD and is lightly optioned, it would be considered by most a "work truck" type of configuration. "Camp Ready" is just me putting a few changes of clothes and some groceries in the truck and heading to the 5'er. (Also worth noting, I am single, no wife, no kids, so I can easily travel light, including the 5'er itself ... half of my cabinets are empty)

Again, my fifth wheel sits in a RV park 95% of the time.

Again, I recommended if the OP is going to do a lot of towing and racking up the miles to buy a 1 ton. The 1 tons don't have much more payload or towing capacity, but the extra wheelbase, weight and a bit more suspension and braking would make for more peace of mind.

As for me, I have no concerns with my 3/4 ton and it does everything I need it to do. And I feel very comfortable saying that if someone was going to use their fifth wheel in the same manner I do, that a modern 3/4 ton would do the job just fine.

Happy Easter!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Tag.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	323876  

Tags
keystone