Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #1

Keysyone Copper Canyon 5er

Our daughter's family is looking at buying their first RV. They saw a new Keystone Copper Canyon (Sprinter) fifth wheel with a floor plan they really liked - a model 292FWBKS. Can anyone comment on quality and value for the dollar on this brand?
Hossandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We bought a new 2000 Sprinter 25RKSL 5er (rear kitchen, one big slide) and drug it all over the lower 48 states for over 10 years. Ours had upgrades such as gelcoat siding, day/night window shades and 15k AC. It was almost perfect for our needs - two old folks and a dog or so.

We broke a spring early in the life of the trailer, so Keystone replaced all the springs with heavier-duty springs. No problems after that. And like all RVs, it came with barely enough tire weight capacity, so we blew out a couple of trailer tires early on. So I upgraded the tires from ST205/75R15C to ST225/75R15D. The new tires required wider wheels, so we replaced the stock fancy chrome 5-inch-wide trailer wheels with cheap 6-inch-wide trailer wheels from SouthWestWheel.com. With the new springs, tires and wheels, we never had another tire or suspension problem.

Darling Daughter is now living in that 5er full time in Austin, and it seems to be doing fine after 12 years. If I needed a new 5er today, I'd not hesitate to buy a new Keystone Sprinter Cooper Canyon. I don't know why they added the name Cooper Canyon. I thought Sprinter was fine and dandy.

When we decided to buy a TT last winter, the first brand we considered was Keystone Sprinter. But the lightest TT they make has a GVWR of 8,800 pounds, and we required less than 7,000 so we could safely tow it with our F-150. So we had to shop other brands to find our Skyline Nomad Joey 196S with a GVWR of 5,600 pounds.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #3

We just purchased a 2008 297FWBHS from the original owner. It still has plastic on the carpet so it's like new. It's a nice little 5th wheel. We've done afew minor things, like hang a pocket door that never was right, and really that's about it. It's not an Excel or Nu-Wa for full timing, but for our young family it's perfect for week-end trips to the lake and the occasional trip. When the kids and their friends are grown and we don't have a need for a bunkhouse, we'll probably sell it and purchase a "couples coach" and from what I've looked at, I'd consider a new Copper Canyon. Looks nice for the price.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote