Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #1

Kinda funny now - weighing the rig fail.

Ok - I guess I should have known better. I read that the CAT scales 'call button' is too high to reach from a dually pick-up truck.

But I called the Love's Truckstop and asked if I could reach the call button form a dually puck-up truck and the response was sure I could reach it easy.

So I pull in the middle of the scales no problem. When I see the button 8 feet away and up high. When I got on the running boards and leaned I was still 3 or 4 feet away. Ugh...

Now it gets worse. There is a semi behind me now waiting to use the scale. So I get back in the drivers seat and pull off the scales and turn right (which it wrong).

Now I am blocking truckers coming from the diesel pumps after they fill-up. I think I can pull around a narrow passageway. I get out of the truck and survey the dilemma. I see the forward passageway is block...ugh. But behind me is one trucker back-up spot. I get in the truck and back the 5er w/o an issue into the spot. As I clear the fuel exit area but before I am totally backed up two truckers that were waiting pull out.

After they pull out I pull out and get back in the highway.

This was not a total fail because now I know. Next time I will have a 6 foot long broom handle unless anyone has a better idea.

I did read a post that a long stick was required but the call to Love's lead me to the wrong conclusion.

Live and learn the hard way...my favorite way.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You gave up too easy. I open the window on the driver's door and stand on the window sill. I'm 5'7', but I can reach the call button that way.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #3

Man, at the CAT scale near us in Nacogdoches, the button is maybe 7ft off the ground, if that.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Call 'em on the cell phone as you're approaching the scale. Just reaching the button isn't the end of it... you still have to hear them and, depending on how complex your weigh request is, converse further.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #5

I went twice to the truck stop to weigh my truck and camper then went back to weigh just the truck. First time went by myself while pulling the camper. Same thing couldn't reach the button. So I got out of the truck and hit the button . Only thing all my weight was on the front axle scale. Second trip had my wife go. Dropped her off at the door and used cell phones to talk to her and the the scale operator.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #6

I bet this button was 10' off the ground. Not only was it too high I was too far to the right as I was in the middle of the scale. Seems I will need to cheat to the left and not drive right down the middle.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #7

I've weighed at Cat scales but most small towns around me have a feed mill or grain elevator or feed store with a single platform scale. The one near me is free and open 24/7.Weighing on a single platform goes quicker if you have another person along to read the scales while you drive the rig on and off for each axle position.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote