Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #1

Kingpin stabilizer?

Do Kingpin stabilizers perform as advertised and any suggestions on best one on market.
Dlstickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #2

It depends on your 5th wheel trailer. I use to use the king pin stabilizer with X-chocks when we had a Cougar 5er with just front legs and rear stabilizer to support the trailer. The king pin stabilizer and x-chocks made the trailer very stable and did not rock when you walked around in this trailer.

I now have a Cedar Creek with the 6-point auto leveling system. I do not use the king pin stabilizer or the x-chocks anymore when using this 5er. The 6-point leveling system makes our trailer just as stable as the older trailer when we used the x-chocks and kin pin stabilizer.

I do still use the king pin stabilizer when we store the trailer in the storage yard. Just the front legs are down and the trailer is nose high with the stabilizer supporting the king pin. Why? Just so, no one walks into the king pin when it is being stored.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:29 AM   #3

Even if they did I wouldn't get one. Many times we need to back the truck under the front overhang to keep get both into a short site.
JT Strong arm types are easier as they're permanently installed. No packing-unpacking-setting up and down the tripod.
I seems about 50-50 as to how well they perform.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
JT Strong arm types are easier as they're permanently installed. No packing-unpacking-setting up and down the tripod
Agree.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #5

When we hit the road FT 'thought' a ling pin stabilizer would be great tool to have.

Returned it cause it just wasn't worth the effort for the little bit it did

Found a inexpensive means of stabilizing that worked GREAT
After side/side leveling ..set wheel chocks and X-Chocks then unhitch
Level front/rear with landing gear legs

Drop front 1" low off level thEN set rear stabilizers TIGHT
Raise front back up to level

Solid platform and the only 'movement' is a little suspension/tire bounce
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #6

Thanks for all the comments. I should have stated my rig earlier and reason for question. We have a 2017 GD Solitude 360 with self leveling. We get a lot of movement even if changing sitting position in the theater chair. I think I will start with a set of x-chocks! Maybe that will stop some of the movement.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #7

Try manual leveling keeping the legs as short as possible.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #8

That’s an idea! But really love the self-leveling[emoji41]
Old 08-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got rid of mine,too much troubles
And space and weight to lug around. With x chocks and rear stabilizers down no need for it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:30 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Try manual leveling keeping the legs as short as possible.
No need to do it manually just use blocks under the levelers. Those little sticks need to be as short as possible for maximum stability.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlstickles View Post
That’s an idea! But really love the self-leveling[emoji41]
We also auto level our Cedar Creek all of the time. What we do is first put about 5" of wooden blocks under the front legs, when detaching from the truck. The blocks are 4X4 post and a 2X8 piece of wood making up the combination of 5" blocking. We will than use the "Lego" style plastic supports under the other four leveling legs. This is usually 3 pieces per leg adjusting them as the legs come down. Since most RV resorts with concert pads now require blocks under the legs this is no issues for us. As stated by someone else the legs need to be short as possible.

If you do go to "x-chocks" put them in after leveling as the axles and suspension is moving during the leveling process. An the x-chocks will prevent that from happening. Also remove them before retracting the legs.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #12

Just got a tripod, only paid $50 used, this year for our 04 coachman 31tbs. Made a significant difference. Rv stays set up most of the time so the hassle of set up is not bad. I am looking for a set of.x chocks and strangarms though.
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #13

I have a 6 pt auto level on my Cedar Creek. I also have this: SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Trailer Stabilizer.

Last week my wife says to me “are the stabilizers locked, because I feel a lot more movement”? With that I went outside and checked... I found I failed to tighten one of the the three clamps allowing the movement. After all were tight movement was greatly diminished. This system is easy to use and takes just a couple hours to install.

I highly recommend it.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #14

We used a tripod for the last 5+ years and sold it on CL for $50 two months ago. Haven't noticed any difference or missed it so far, but it is one less step to perform when setting up/tear down. It would depend on your rig, so try it both ways.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote