Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2018, 07:06 AM   #1

KZ Durango Gold vs Van Leigh

I saw a KZ Durango Gold that I liked. In about a year my DW and I will be at a crossroads. To make a long story even longer my DW is in favor of full time and I am luke cool to the idea.

So anyway I was out looking for a possible 5th wheel or trailer and came across the KZ Durango Gold 5th wheel. They seem to be an ok 5th wheel to me.

I also saw a Van Leigh 5th wheel and thought it too would make an ok full time trailer.

If we decide to go full-time we would get stuck in some cold weather. Like around Christmas for example when we would want to spend time with family in the northern states like Va. and maybe even Pa....brrr.

The KZ Durango Gold is a full-time rig and so is the Van Leigh I think.

Need input from others to help analyze.

Thanks
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2018, 07:45 AM   #2

I am one of those that are in the minority, so this is my opinion and I know several will disagree with it.

Over 90% of RV's are made by 2 companies, Thor Industries and Forest River. In my opinion you are never really more than a number on a spreadsheet with either of these companies.

All RV's have issues, whether it be new or down the road. It's what happens and how the customer is treated that is most important to me.

That said it only leaves about 8% of the market for me to choose from. There are several 5th wheel companies whose standards are high and their commitment to the end user is admirable with Vanleigh being one of them.

I know I'm going to have issues going down the road. It's important to me that they are resolved in a timely manner.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #3

If your in colder weather and get delayed because of snow will the fresh/ holding tanks be large enough and are they heated?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #4

If one of you is not 'all-in' to full-timing, it may never work for you. As to the cold, it is very difficult to remain comfortable during winter time in the areas you mention unless you are skirted and the water supply is insulated correctly, along with what happens if the power supply at the campground fails? Winter camping isn't for the timid, nor is the need to travel at that time towing anything. It can be done, but just not a 'piece of cake.'
I have one of the supposedly better fifth wheels made for full-timing, and there is a very good reason many head south before winter arrives; conversely, going northward before summer hits.
Wish you good luck if you decide to go for it...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #5

I reread what I wrote. No Christmas in Pa. We will be out of Pa. right after Thanksgiving. That will be cold enough. Christmas in Va. where temps will still be cold enough.

This way we could see much more of the family.

We could head further south after Christmas.

I need to look at the Durango Gold again. I think they have a 12" I-beam frame with a 2" stacked box section.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:09 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If we decide to go full-time we would get stuck in some cold weather. Like around Christmas for example when we would want to spend time with family in the northern states like Va. and maybe even Pa....brrr.

The KZ Durango Gold is a full-time rig and so is the Van Leigh I think.

Need input from others to help analyze.

Thanks
If you think Va. is a northern state, maybe you should freshen up on geography and maybe a history lesson. Van Leigh is a company not an RV. They make a Vilano and a Beacon (and they are introducing a new lower end line this year). I believe both are considered full time but I'm really not 100% sure what or who qualifies an RV as "Full Time". Any how, you're on the right track...happy hunting.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #7

I am now living in Florida so yes, Va is north of me making it a northern state. I understand it is south of the Mason Dixon Line which is between Pa. and MD.

I know there are more camp grounds open in Va. then Pa. I also know in Va. people live in RV's year round.

I stand corrected, yes it is a Vanliegh Vilano 5th wheel I saw that I liked and the other was a KZ Durango Gold.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Well if you live in Florida, everything is north of you...including Georgia, but that does not make it a northern state.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #9

I am a native Floridian and it is apparent to me that all 47 of the continental states other than Florida consider everything north of Florida "northern" states. How do I know this???? Because they all come to Florida for the winter!...[emoji16]
shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #10

Evergreen Owners Club
Van Leigh is now offering the Beacon which is upper end to the Vilano. I priced one yest. @ 135K. I believe it is well over priced.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #11

Don't sell everything and think it is going to be one long adventure. Go out and try it for a few months . That trailer gets small no matter how big. Depending on your hobbies those RV Parks can get tiresome. Real close to each other and not near as quiet as your house inside. Just try it first , You can't go home if it isn't there ! They are both good Trailers by the way
Look at R factors in walls floor roof and slides. You can freeze your butt in an uninsulated slide. Double pane windows . Don't go crazy with Windows to many cause heat or cold to magnify. Keep it a 3 no more then four slides . Lighter and less chance of leaks. Along with fewer chances of mech malfunctions. Make sure it has at least one heat pump . They will save you money on propane when the temps don't go much below 40. Disc brakes are a real plus and well worth the extra money if an option. Go on their forums and see what owners say. They won't hesitate to mention any problems , believe me. Good Luck on your quest.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #12

KZ RV Club
I am about 1.5 years in a Durango Gold and still love the 5W. I'm about 1/2 time so it does get used. Have I had issues, yes, but so far they have all been fixed, some by me some under warrantee. It is a Thor built but it's fit & finish and well done. The floor plan was exactly what we wanted.

That said two items I would consider must haves, 2 A/C units which means 50 amp service, and get rid of the ST tires and put on LT's. Part of the deal was change the tires. Mine left the lot and went to the tire store with the ST's and left with the LT's I wanted.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Van Leigh is now offering the Beacon which is upper end to the Vilano. I priced one yest. @ 135K. I believe it is well over priced.
I believe that is MSRP isn't it?
Old 07-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #14

if you went to a little higher level 5th wheel. you may have to go used to be a price point thats affordable. But a Newmar Kountry Aire or Mountain Aire, Nuwa, or a Teton will be much better insulation wise. Those rigs will also laugh at Virginia or PA cold "is that all lol". i stayed a few winters in cold cold areas. One being Minnesota and the Newmar stayed toasty warm all winter with dual furnaces. My current Teton has dual furnaces as well. Winter in Northern Oklahoma should be a breeze.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote