Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Biken201
KZ vs Open Range vs Keystone

We are looking to upgrade from our popup to a fifth wheel, and have narrowed our search down to the above listed manufacturers. I would appreciate any insight or experiences with the quality/satisfaction (or not) of those trailers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #2

I would rate them as you listed them: KZ, then OR, then Keystone. But all should be an ok unit. Good friends have an OR, has served them well, except the escape window blew out on the last trip--unknown if it was defect or failure to close completely. Main door on the OR is a little different--it doesn't open all the way, only to 90 degrees, and is gas-strut operated. And no screen door for ventilation, only a full-length glass panel that pops open at the bottom--not to my liking. But the OR has a good-looking interior.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
We have had a KZ 5th wheel for 4 years and have only good things to say about it. It's well constructed and we have had no problems with it---except for that one time it was attacted by a tree branch.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #4

I like our 318 SAB Cougar, which is made by Keystone. I would recommend this brand to anyone.
What you need to do is research all three brands. Find the floor plane that you like in all three models then compare price, value and quality of construction of the manufactures.
Also research the dealer, the dealer will make or break your experience with any camper. How will he respond to your needs will determine if you have a good or distasteful experience with your camper. I would also insist on doing a pre-delivery inspection. That means every system is functioning and all compartments are full and working correctly. Climb up on the roof and look for proper sealing and that the rubber roof is not torn and patched. Go over the unit with a find tooth comb. This should be at least two hours to check everything and to understand how everything works.
Be prepare to walk away if the dealer will not cooperate. This is your money and the camper will be with you a long time.
Jim W.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We just sold a Keystone Montana (best selling 5th wheel for nine years in a row) to buy a DP. Great unit (3400RL), great support from Keystone, and virtually no problems other than the lousy Chinese tires. If we went back to a 5th wheel, it would either be a Montana or a Big Sky.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #6

I echo Cat and Jims sentiments. We've had our Montana for a few years, with next to 0 problems with manufacturing defects or support.

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #7

I've had a KZ Sportsmen since 2003, the only problem in that time was the battery charger portion of the AC/DC power supply failed; it was replaced under warranty by the dealer at no charge and I've had no problems since. I like the fact that my relatively small 26' 5th wheel has a 55 gal fresh water tank and 3 32 gal waste water tanks.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #8

Love my Montana, very pleased with all aspects.
lsessoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #9

We have an '08 Keystone Challenger. It has been nothing but trouble since we bought it. It seems to be well engineered but poorly constructed, with the cheapest materials they could find. I will never buy another Keystone product.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:56 PM   #10

We have a Keystone Cougar High Country. We love it. Only one problem so far and it was fixed under warranty. It's still new but we use it a lot and so far I'm happy with it.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #11

Unhappy Wished I stayed away from Open Range Rv

We bought a 2012 Mesa Ridge brand new. The paint on the exterior wall started to bubble and delaminate only 5 weeks after we brought it home. It spent the entire winter getting repaired and was returned back to us in Spring 2012. After a few months the paint started to bubble and delaminate AGAIN in July 2012. So the following Fall it went back to the factory o have "new" fiberglass exterior walls put on. Well the company did such a terrible job that the whole area around the window and tail light is all bubbled out. I told the company in May that this trailer is a lemon and should be replaced / traded......I had been pressing the company for 4 months to come to some agreement with us before my 2 year is up. Well 5 days before we the 2 years is up they tell me they will replace the back panel but offer nothing else to us. No compensation for all the gas money bringing this unit back and forth over an hour to the dealer, no compensation that this is the 3rd time we will need to take out the entire contents of this trailer. This unit has caused us so much personal and financial inconvience. This will be our 1st and LAST Open Range Rv and I am telling every one I can to beware. My husband wanted to buy a Rockwood when we bought this unit .....boy do I wish I would have listened to him and not bought this Open Range rv. It has been one headache after another........
Boxergurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv