Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2018, 09:22 PM   #1

Landing Gear Dilemma

I have '11 Heartland Big Country 3250TS 5th wheel. Single electric motor system from factory, with cross shaft to left side. it's been struggling for the last few times i used it. Left side (follow) landing gear snapped the pin on drive shaft and leg seems locked up. Pulled the leg at campground today. Gears look ok, so thinking the nut inside is messed up.

Replacement is $120, so that is cheapest repair option. The other leg (lead) still works, but who knows how long it will last after the other one failed.

Now would be a good time to upgrade system. I have Anderson hitch in truck, so really travel the landing gear far each use. Im looking at either the Ultra Fab Deluxe system ($571 Amazon), or lippert ground control 3.0 4 post system (i need to measure, but dont think i need 6 post system). (Cheapest i saw was $2050)

Obviously we are looking at one system that costs 4x as much as the other. The ultra fab will give me independent control of front landing gear, although it's manual. Should be big upgrade from what I had.

Ground control obviously has more features, like auto level, hitch height, and can help change tires, but is it worth putting on an approximate $20k camper that gets used less than 10x a year? We did just remodel it and will have it for at least 5 more years.

Really need to get this right, cause ground control wont ever happen if i don't get it now.

Anything else to consider?
TimbrSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 11:01 PM   #2

Most likely the main part of the leg got bent, just a little to drag when it’s going up and down. I’ve had to replace mine twice from the legs bending.

Also to help with pins snapping, drilling the hole to a tighter tolerance with the crossover will help them last longer. I have 2 sets of hardware taped to the crossbar just in case.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:25 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Replaced our single motor one with a Bulldog set about five years ago that cost the same back then. (Note that you'll also need the spring loaded pin set that comes separate with the Ultra Fab and that'll be another $40+.) Well worth going to two motors. I can even level our 38' rig some without messing with shims under wheels. Installing everything isn't difficult. Upgrading to an automatic system may have a lot more issues.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
Replaced our single motor one with a Bulldog set about five years ago that cost the same back then. (Note that you'll also need the spring loaded pin set that comes separate with the Ultra Fab and that'll be another $40+.) Well worth going to two motors. I can even level our 38' rig some without messing with shims under wheels. Installing everything isn't difficult. Upgrading to an automatic system may have a lot more issues.
I looked at bulldog, but seems to be too expensive compared to the ultra fab set up, to get a similar result. Plus, I'm more of a Labrador guy. I was hoping to move my pins over to the Ultra Fab if I went that route, but maybe gotta spend a bit more $
Old 12-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #5

Not sure if I have the same system on my Cameo. My system has one motor with a cross bar for the front legs. A suggestion from another member was to drill a 1/2" hole in the upright square tubing and spray white grease once a year onto the screw shaft until it runs out the bottom foot pads. No issues yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Jack Hole.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	230231  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:31 PM   #6

Hitch up, remove the cross shaft pin or bolt on the side you think is bent, remove that landing gears pinch clamps and lift it back up inside, and the leg will fall out if not bent.....but remember, those legs and rams are timed together so they will make ground contact at the same time, provided you have the pins in the same number of holes up from the foot....I pulled both of mine out, and turned the legs 90 degrees so my spring loaded pins are very easy to pull.....handles facing forward..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Hitch up, remove the cross shaft pin or bolt on the side you think is bent, remove that landing gears pinch clamps and lift it back up inside, and the leg will fall out if not bent.....but remember, those legs and rams are timed together so they will make ground contact at the same time, provided you have the pins in the same number of holes up from the foot....I pulled both of mine out, and turned the legs 90 degrees so my spring loaded pins are very easy to pull.....handles facing forward..
Yup, got it removed. I pulled pulled the cap, and the gears inside look fine. I was unable to get it to turn, so figured the collar nut inside is stripped... replacement time for sure.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #8

The landing gear leg has what is called a lead screw and nut in the leg... the lead screw is an acme thread (steel) and the nut (brass)... they don't get adequate lubrication and the nut wears and doesn't support the screw like it should... so there is a section of the screw that fits easily through the nut and than a section at the top of the screw and at the bottom of the screw were the fit gets tight as the screw and nut wear... again from lack of lubrication...

This will cause the screw to bind inside the nut... you can test this... put the unit on a set of jack stands... disconnect the cross shaft that drives both legs... use a drill to power each leg through its cycle with the extended leg retracted... You will notice the drill motor start to strain as the leg fully retracts into housing and start to strain as it full extends... that's your sign there is a problem...

This will snap sheer pins..... make the motor blow its fuse.. and often the owner might replace the motor only to find out the new motor does the same thing..

I noticed on my NEW LEGS that there is now grease fittings where my old legs had none.... however all the grease fitting do is pack the area with grease... this could easily be solved with a 8 turns per inch instead of 6 turns per inch (more torque) and a thicker nut (more surface area) but of course the manufactures don't do this..

I looked at HD legs which need to be replaced in pairs... but decided I had gotten several good years on my old set so I put standard legs back in... in addition I moved the grease fittings to better service the nut....

My experience in this was using a lead screw and nut in machinery to push/pull heavy items... in our case the loads are excessive for the size of the screw and nut... I looked for service parts for mine and couldn't find them... I have the ability to build them from purchasing Acme Threaded rod and a chunk of brass and doing machine work on it.... but not cost effectively enough to make it worth my while so I just bought them.....

AND some of the parts are pressed and clamped in place inside the leg in a way they are NOT DESIGNED FOR SERVICE or REPLACEMENT without a lot of work....
Old 12-28-2018, 04:41 PM   #9

Looks like my living room slides will make the rear jack install for ground control system very difficult.

My lead leg snapped it's pin today while trying to hitch up today. Pretty sure im going with ultra fab setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181228_095615.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	230349   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181228_095602.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	230350  

Old 12-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #10

Update: from what I've been reading, Bulldog will be direct bolt in to my existing brackets. Looks like they are back ordered though.

Someone one let me know if you know of any place thet has bulldog 500161 in stock.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #11

I'd be more concerned about the ground clearance your spare tire has....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:26 AM   #12

I was having some problems with the gear on my Keystone and looked into just replacing the whole system. I seem to remember it was super cheap through Etrailer - like just a few hundred dollars for the whole thing (I think Lippert is the brand). Of course, the quality is nothing like the others you are describing but you can buy a lot of $300 sets of landing gear for the same as what you are looking at spending.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I was having some problems with the gear on my Keystone and looked into just replacing the whole system. I seem to remember it was super cheap through Etrailer - like just a few hundred dollars for the whole thing (I think Lippert is the brand). Of course, the quality is nothing like the others you are describing but you can buy a lot of $300 sets of landing gear for the same as what you are looking at spending.
To replace with stock lippeet system would be $300, but id still only have 1 motor that has been working prett hard.

The dual motor systems like bulldog and ultra fab are around $600. The added feature of independent control, and hopefully not having it fail in a few years makes it an easy decision to go that route. Having a camper failure on vacation is no fun.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had a binding problem with one of my landing legs (follower).

Caused by lack of lubrication in my case.

I remove the top cap on the leg body, and poured 30W engine oil in there and let it coat the screw and nut. The only isssue is that oil will be dripping down onto the landing gear feet for a few weeks. I just put a rag there until it's done.

Works fine now.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote