Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #1

Landmark/Heartland Quality for FT

So far not impressed with Landmark. FT need close to 4,000# cargo carrying Cap. Landmark Specs 2800#
Looked in Sept. at one built in Nov. Must have been delivered in a snow storm. The under carriage all rusty, even metal component in basement. How did salt & Sand get clear up there.

Has anyone had experience with these units.
rbuttolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
We have full timed in our Landmark Grand Canyon for 4 years and love it! We had a Bighorn before and had a good experience with it too. Both are rated and warranted for full time use.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #3

"FT need close to 4,000# cargo carrying Cap." We're full-timers in a 40' MH with no slides. We're well under that number, and still have more stuff than we really need. Still, you can't have too much CCC.

Heartland makes some decent coaches, and the factory will stand behind them. Individual dealers are sometimes another story, but generally come around when the factory calls on your behalf.

If you really need that much CCC I'd suggest you check out New Horizons. A new one will set you back somewhat more than a Landmark, but you can spec it to give you the CCC you need. I asked the factory about a used one and they thought it had about 4000 CCC (I didn't have the VIN so they couldn't be sure).
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #4

My wife and I are just at the point where we are comparing floor plans. I've also been researching construction methods in preparation for our future purchase of a 5th wheel.

After much thought I decided, right or wrong, to compare the Landmark against the higher end class. This class is a step above the "luxury units" because, for now, I'm thinking Landmark includes the luxury with a reasonably well built rig. This class might include comparing it to the DRV Mobile Suites, maybe the Augusta Luxe, NuWa Hitchhiker and Evergreen's Lifestyle. For the money, the Landmark might be more affordable and a good value.

:

There is a lot to like about the Landmark.

I've just started reading up on the after sales support from Heartland. I'd not buy from anyone who does not stand by their product . Not sure I can give a qualified opinion of Heartland's service as I've not looked into them for that. I'm also thinking it is important that Heartland has dealerships scattered around the country. That way, hopefully, service issues can be covered wherever us that will be full timing happen to be. Some of the newer companies, such as Augusta, do not have the dealership networks as of yet.

Just my humble 2 cents.

Figure we will find the right floor plan and then do some hardcore comparisons. Hope Landmark makes the short list and has the floor plan we are interested in.
mds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

We have had a very good experience so far with our Heartland Gateway and if/when we get ready to full time, the Landmark will be at the top of our list.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #6

Evergreen Owners Club
I would take a Lifestyle over Landmark any day of the week. I have toured both factories and Heartland is not putting out the quality they had just a couple years ago. On the other hand Evergreen the maker of Lifestyle is trying very hard to satisfy customers. When my wife and I toured the factory in early August this year, there was a Lifestyle sitting in the back lot. I asked about it and the rep told me it was a customers. The slide was not working correctly for some reason and they opted to build another brand new unit for the customer. Now that is customer service at its finest.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:41 AM   #7

Well besides everybody's speculations, opinions, and hear say about the landmark, we actually do fulltime in our Landmark Newport 365 for the past 13 months continuously. We've had several small problems , and Heartland did a fantastic job getting us the part needed, or service. I'm not talking about waiting around for weeks, or going through red tape either
They got on it quick. No cost to me ever. You talk to very knowledgeable people. They know there product, and bend over backwards to help you out. Also the Heartland forum is super great. You can actually converse with the Heartland reps, and they will tell you exactly what you need, and usually that's as far as you need to go. The support is #1.

As far as fulltime use, we live our 365. It's extremely comfortable, well built, excellent layout, and we couldn't be happier. We compared most of the above units, and when it came to cost, and quality this 365 won out. We've drug this thing around now for close to 15,000 miles in 10 months and the undercarriage, wheels,tires, everything has not had 1 single issue. Now bear in mind were not exactly your typical higher quality 5th wheel iwner, who only take interstates, and must have the best RV Resorts with concrete pads and asphalt interior roads. We take secondary roads as much as possible. We go out of our way to do so. We have gone down many many, many dirt and gravel roads to campsites, and this rig is still working perfectly. We don't shy away from rough roads, or hard to get campgrounds. America's secondary roads are pretty rough, and this Landmark takes it with no problems. In fact most of the time we wonder why were the only folks with big rigs who actually go the places we do. I can count on one hand the number of people with high end units that we see going down the roads we do, or beautiful campgrounds, just because they don't want to get them dirty, or who think there rig will be damaged from the excursion. We use ours, and we use it hard. I don't purposely abuse it, I never would, but I don't shy away from a rough road. I'm a retired mechanic, and keep a very close eye on all components of this trailer, and believe me this rig is rated for fulltime use for a reason.
Now if anybody out there who likes to give there opinion on a Landmark ,and who doesn't own one, and listens to opinions from others who has a friend who knew a guy, that heard about a Landmark, and you want to believe thst, by all means do. I know for a fact what the real story is. As with anything man made you will have things that will break, and you will find some rigs that do or will have manufacturing problems, and Landmark I'm sure has had some. No doubt about that. I'm completely happy with ours, and I'm sure I'm not the lone stranger out there.
I would also like to note that 5 campgrounds have said that our rig was the biggest 5th wheel they had ever had at there campground. That was a distinction that at the time I was a bit concerned about. Also this Landmark gets stares, and compliments everywhere we go.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #8

Glad you are happy with. To many complaints about owners problems. I have a Cardinal and outside of some minor stuff l have been happy with it . Been out for 7 wks this trip over 5000 miles and everything is working fine.
I did do a couple of upgrades Mich xps ribs Moryde 4000 suspension heavier shackles.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #9

Quite happy indeed. Ours came with Goodyear G114' with 17.5" wheels. No need to upgrade.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #10

When we were researching for our present coach I had several brands to consider. When I went to NADA I found out that some of the brands on our list sold for twice what others did when new. I don't think that a DRV and a Landmark are in the same price range.

Thor recently purchased DRV. I believe that Thor's intention is to cover the full range, from entry-level trailers to luxury full-time coaches.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #11

Jayco has a new luxury 5th wheel out. It's called the Designer. Might be worth looking at.
2016 Designer Fifth Wheels Standards & Options | Jayco, Inc.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Jayco has a new luxury 5th wheel out. It's called the Designer. Might be worth looking at.
2016 Designer Fifth Wheels Standards & Options | Jayco, Inc.
My wife and I have been full timing for about 2 years now and chose the Heartland Bighorn. We love it and have been very comfortable in it. We did look at a Montana but found that the Bighorn was better quality. We don't carry any where near that amount of CCC and we can't per the specs. We have not missed anything as far as what we had in our house before we sold it.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #13

Well Guys
This CCC discussion between Wife & self led us to scale the rig.
After near 7 years of fultiming we carry 3,300lbs of cargo, and still have a little over 300lbs to go before we are overloaded.
Still looking for 36-40 ft fultime rig with that much CCC & able to get to Bath & Frig in travel, with out sliding things out.
The hunt continues
rbuttolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuttolph View Post
Well Guys
This CCC discussion between Wife & self led us to scale the rig.
After near 7 years of fultiming we carry 3,300lbs of cargo, and still have a little over 300lbs to go before we are overloaded.
Still looking for 36-40 ft fultime rig with that much CCC & able to get to Bath & Frig in travel, with out sliding things out.
The hunt continues

Cedar Creek Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland, quality