Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #1

LED Lighting

has anyone switched to led interior lighting? while i'm rebuilding this old girl i thought i would look into it
maineshops is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #2

Location: I travel this great country working on refineries and industrial plants.
I will be doing that when I get started putting my ceiling in. I still need to redo my ductwork and insulate some more.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
The problem with converting is that LED lighting is that it's very expensive....you can spend a small fortune doing the entire coach. I think I would just do one at a time whenever a regular bulb burned out.

I'm in the process of trying to find some LED lighting for my overhead cabinets. I need battery powered with only "motion" detecting. Most I've found also have "photo" detecting and that actually defeats the purpose. I wonder if I can just put some black tape over the photo sensors.....

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Do a search on irv2. There has bean a lot of discussion on this topic.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #5

Location: I travel this great country working on refineries and industrial plants.
I've found that the LED recessed lights are around $28-30 retail. I would much rather put these in than just the old fixtures. These new recessed lights will help my old 5'er look and feel a lot better. The new color is amazing compared to the old lights.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #6

For replacement LEDs check out ebay/amazon etc. I recently purchased 10 SMDs (surface mount LED) with 36 LEDS on each for $32 and change, including shipping. Do a search for “36 SMD LEDs” or for more light “48 SMD LEDs” (I think that I bought them from amazon, can’t remember for sure though) The ones that I purchased came with “Wedge Adapters” which fit my light fixtures, they also had a small piece of double sided adhesive tape applied to the back side. Not trusting the long term stickiness of the tape I applied a drop of RTV at each of the 4 corners.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #7

Changed the interior of mine from Halogen bulbs in the puck lights to LED. Expensive, $400, but we boondock so we can now run 27 pucks at the wattage of 4 before the change over.
Also added lights under the bunk and over the slide.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many of us have either switched are are switching (I fall in the last class) I like LED's for the following reasons.

A good quality led may actually give MORE light
it uses far less electricity
Makes very little waste heat.
And it should outlast me.

Incandescent.. I need to buy by the dozen, eat power and make lots of waste heat.

NOTE: I do have one application where I use Incandescents,, that's cause the wast heat is the desired product.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #9

Hey, and the price is starting to come down finally
Old 05-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #10

thanks for all the tips. i'll probably replace them a few at a time as we have much to do on the rebuild yet
maineshops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcoxid View Post
For replacement LEDs check out ebay/amazon etc. I recently purchased 10 SMDs (surface mount LED) with 36 LEDS on each for $32 and change, including shipping. Do a search for “36 SMD LEDs” or for more light “48 SMD LEDs” (I think that I bought them from amazon, can’t remember for sure though) The ones that I purchased came with “Wedge Adapters” which fit my light fixtures, they also had a small piece of double sided adhesive tape applied to the back side. Not trusting the long term stickiness of the tape I applied a drop of RTV at each of the 4 corners.
I've seen the “48 SMD LEDs”on ebay and have wondered about them. I've got mixed feelings on LEDs based on past experience. When LEDs first came out, I bought several LED flashlights at Harbor Freight because I figured the batteries would last forever, but the little LEDs started failing after only a few months. Then I bought a bunch of LED Christmas lights to save on the electric bill and they started failing after two years (the leads rusted! from being outside for six weeks at Christmas).
Hopefully the quality of the LEDs is better now. I certainly like the lower power requirement and low heat (especially compared to halogen MR16s).
Good luck if you get some, and feel free to share how much they cost and what you think.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #12

Prices have definitely come down... Search ebay and amazon for 12v LED lighting, and Marinebeam Replacement LED bulbs for your existing boat fixtures
for fluorescent tube replacement. If price, heat and boondocking is a concern, then suggest you replace the most used lights first.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #13

I bought the LED replacement bulbs (fit #921) on EBay for around $25 for 10. They work very well but ship directly from China which I felt bad about untl I realized that the ones that cost $10/each also come from China
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:34 AM   #14

So far I bought over 60 bulbs from china and no failures and bought 4 bulbs from US and 2 failed. Yes I have seen unpackaged bulbs in RV parts stores for sale at half the price of similar packaged bulbs on the same shelf.
I can get 10 for the price of 2 packaged bulbs in RV stores. Plus the package ones do not offer options.