Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #1

Level ??

Was wondering if it is okay to put the slides out on
a 5er even if it isn't level ??

Thnx
Jo
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #2

To be a little more clear...I am wondering if for example just returned home. Would it be okay to just unhitch TV. Pop out slides and unload things from the inside.
As well as just loading up for a trip does it have to perfectly level to pop out slides ??

Thnx
Jo
Old 04-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure about 5er, but on my class A the slides will bind and get cockeyed when closing on un-level surface. Prolly not worth the risk of damaging the slide unless it's close to being level.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I did it for years without a problem. I know that if I say all will be OK that it will cause problems for you! Ya takes your chances!!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #5

:-)...Thank you guys. I guess "each to their own" for risks :-)

Jo
Old 04-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
If it is left too long unlevel the liquid in your freezer may settle and cause the freezer to thaw. Ours did.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #7

Slides out when unlevel is OK for a trailer, the wheelbase of a MH makes the difference about using slides out of level.
As to the frig operating out of level, the limits for such operation are: 3 deg. side-to-side, 6 deg. front-to-back when looking at the frig doors. The rule-of-thumb is, if you are comfortable living in the RV the frig is probably withing safe operating limits.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Slides out when unlevel is OK for a trailer, the wheelbase of a MH makes the difference about using slides out of level.
With all due respect.......if it's out of level it's out of level. The "platform" makes no difference. A degree is a degree.

If had a question like the OP is asking, I would call the manufacturer if possible. If that wasn't possible I would only use slides if the platform was within 3*. Repairing slides that have been distorted is sometimes impractical. I would have said impossible but anything is possible with enough time and money.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:53 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I needed to run my 3 slides out once when the trailer was leaning to one side. They worked fine, but I wouldn't do it again.
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #10

KIX, the platform makes all the difference. When the wheels/axles are at each end of the MH and you park the MH on unlevel ground, it puts the frame and chassis in a twist. When the wheels/axles are in the middle of a trailer (60/40 anyway), the frame is not affected nearly as much, simply because of the area spanned by the wheels. I have owned both and know from experience.
At one of our rallies, one member put his MH in a twist when leveling it and popped a windshield. This happened because the "platform" ie: wheelbase length, allowed the frame to twist.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 04-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #11

Question on frig allowable slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
As to the frig operating out of level, the limits for such operation are: 3 deg. side-to-side, 6 deg. front-to-back when looking at the frig doors. The rule-of-thumb is, if you are comfortable living in the RV the frig is probably withing safe operating limits.
Can you clarify the slope in units of inches to feet?
JMG1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #12

I have come to agree with 99% of what Ray,IN says in threads, as he can always support his statements with rational logic, technical facts, experience, and usually only comments when he knows he is right.

I reserve 1% disagreement if he ever goes off the deep end as he ages.
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'll certainly agree that Class A frames twist but I'll not venture any opinion on 5ers. However, I will say that I've been advised by too many people that it isn't wise to let out the slides on a Class A that isn't reasonable level. I'll continue to follow that advise.
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #14

No I cannot state slope/grade. I am talking about parking on uneven ground with wheels sitting in depressions/up on humps, etc. If the parking surface is flat, the grade/slope does not induce any frame twist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Paid For View Post
I have come to agree with 99% of what Ray,IN says in threads, as he can always support his statements with rational logic, technical facts, experience, and usually only comments when he knows he is right.

I reserve 1% disagreement if he ever goes off the deep end as he ages.
I resemble that last sentence. Thanks for the accolades, but I learned from the irv2.com members.