Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #1

Question Leveling the 5'er.

Didn't see a setup category, but where is the best place to check the side to side level? I was thinking on the axle but would a few ideas. And does anyone have an idea/lead on some lightweight composite planks? There has got to be something to eliminate having to carry boards around.

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
EastTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #2

You can get many different types of RV leveling blocks from many different sources. Walmart, Camping World, Bass Pro Shop etc. They are plastic and come in a vinyl package of 6 or 8. The ones in the picture are at Camping World. Mine are orange and came from Amazon.com but I have seen them in Walmart.

Side to side is normally done with a level that is located on the front of the RV. The one on my camper is small and hard to see from the drivers seat. On the newer 5ers, I have seen, there is a large level which is very easy to see in the rear view mirror. I will probably change mine out next spring.

Happy camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43849nnew2013.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	51205  
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #3

Best place to check level? Either inside the refer or I place a bubble level on the stove, either in a pan or directly on top of one of the burners. In my instance the stove and refer are very close so as long as the stove is level the refer is happy. As far as leveling blocks? I'm kind of cheap so I went and bought a 8 foot 2X8 and cut a bunch of 12 inch long blocks out of it. Served me well for the last 10 years, When they break it is no big deal and cheap and easy to replace. IF I forget one, no great loss.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #4

I level everything to the refer. Then get a set of outside levels you can see and set them based on the refer being level.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #5

The axles are bowed; no leveling there.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
I level everything to the refer. Then get a set of outside levels you can see and set them based on the refer being level.
I have heard this before. I will double check there and on the rear bumper. I also have a set of stick on level to be installed after I check everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
The axles are bowed; no leveling there.
That's what I figured. Thanks for the suggestions.

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
Old 12-09-2013, 03:49 AM   #7

I have a big level bubble stuck on the front of my 5er and I use 2x6 wood blocks also. Also have a small stick on level bubble by the front jack switch for easy front to back leveling.
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:10 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Larmolljr
The best place to check for front to back and side to side would be in the freezer of your fridge. It needs to be level more so than the fiver frame. The fridge will run better and last longer if level. The 5 er should be close if the fridge has been installed correctly. Use a sprit level not a bubble level.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #9

Right on the king pin. Good for side to side and up/down. Put this one on this summer.
Camco RV Acculevel level - $17.99
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larmolljr View Post
The best place to check for front to back and side to side would be in the freezer of your fridge. It needs to be level more so than the fiver frame. The fridge will run better and last longer if level. The 5 er should be close if the fridge has been installed correctly. Use a sprit level not a bubble level.
A spirit level and a bubble level are the same thing. And I would hope the fridge would be level when the trailer is level, might be worth a double check though, lol!

I forgot to mention I also have some 1x6s also because sometimes a 2x6 is a bit too much for that perfect level.
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #11

Since I made a trip home I picked up some treated boards to use for now. If the rain lets up I'll have everything leveled this evening. Thanks again!

2014 Wildcat 344QB-OK
Old 12-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #12

I use a bubble level app on my Android phone set on the kitchen top. Lately, I've been using 3/4" plywood under the tires rather than 2Xs because they don't split as easily. I've also been thinking of using 3/4" rubber from Tractor Supply. Its a horse stall matt and has to be cut up but certainly would be indestructable.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with the plastic Lego type blocks is If you do not use them on flat and hard ground, they will sink in and crack.

I still prefer carrying a few pieces of 2 x's or plywood.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I use a bubble level app on my Android phone set on the kitchen top. Lately, I've been using 3/4" plywood under the tires rather than 2Xs because they don't split as easily. I've also been thinking of using 3/4" rubber from Tractor Supply. Its a horse stall matt and has to be cut up but certainly would be indestructable.
I have the same bubble APP, but got tired of running in and out of the 5'er checking it. Much quicker and easier to see the level from the front. I can see it thru the back window of the truck and tell the wife what to put under which side. Then set the front to back level with the 2nd bubble on it.

I had seen the king pin mount levels and always wondered if they were worth it. IMO it's one of the best things I've bought for the 5'er.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling