Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

Likes or dislikes

2013 Montana high country 343rl5th wheel. Have a deposit on it but not full payment yet?
Dibber62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #2

Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibber62 View Post
2013 Montana high country 343rl5th wheel. Have a deposit on it but not full payment yet?
I do it too. Think I am all set, make a deposit on something only to rethink it and wonder if I have done the right thing. If you are not sure then see if you can get the deposit back. If you can't and are willing to walk away you have answered your own question.

I have looked at a few Montana 5th wheels. They all have the same problem for me. Look real pretty on the show lot but after a few years they don't hold up too well. That's why they build so many all the time.

Rod.
lappir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibber62 View Post
We also looked real hard at a Montana but ended up going with a Landmark by Heartland instead. Montana looked pretty on the inside but I was not as happy with the construction and the biggest reason we went with Landmark was they have a 2+5 warranty versus the Montana 1 year. Based on experience with our current 5'er that extra year really comes in handy.
Greengas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #4

We have been in a new 3725RL for almost a month, quality is about the same as others in its price range however I'm not super impressed with quality of ANY fiver I have looked at.

I liked the Montana frame welds and overall I liked the Montana more than the Heartland's we looked at and Palomino wasn't even close. Redwood interiors seemed to be higher quality however if Landmark has that much better of a warranty it's worth another look.

As for longevity the Montana's of 2013 with the fulltime package are supposed to be built better, we'll see.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #5

If you are having ANY misgivings, go with your gut and bail. Every RV, whether new or used, will have things that need to be fixed or upgraded. Most of those things are small, but sometimes they can be very costly especially if there's no warranty.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2012 343RL Montana HC. We have lived in this 5er for about 5 months total in the year we have owned the 343RL. Mostly we have been happy but some things have happened:
* The satellite coax from entry to the main TV went astray. Instead of taking in for warranty I opted to just put in another coax input near the TV - but could have had Keystone look for the problem.
* The Norcold 2100 went out and was replaced under warranty - but a pain for sure when it was so new. But, that is a Norcold issue and not a Keystone I suppose.

Other than this we really enjoy the floor plan and it pulls wonderfully with my Ford F250 Diesel. There are many things we like about the trailer but there is one issue that has me concerned:

** The axles. I really believe they are too lightweight for the job. The 2013 specs have been changed on Keystone web page - now the axles are "OK." They are 5200 Dexter axles. Well, the Federal regulations state that the total of the axles allowance and the pin weight but not be less than the GVWR. My 2012 missed that mark for sure and I have running battle with Keystone. So far they have stated to me my factory sticker with GVWR was incorrect and they are sending me "corrected" stickers - which does not stand up very well. My yellow "Federal" stick states that my unit weighed 10,040 lbs (have 2 air, etc.) and allowance for 2400 lbs cargo. So, that comes to a GVWR of 12,440 and the Keystone sticker (different from the Federal sticker) states a GVWR of 12,500. Keystone web page still states pin weight is 1720 pounds. So, do the math and I think the axles should have been 8 lug 6000 lbs instead of 5200 6 lug. And it is interesting that Dexter tells me there is about $40 difference in the two and about 30 pounds of weight difference!!

Overall, we are happy and just hope the trailer holds up to good use.

Oh, one last thing: get some good tires instead of the "China Bombs" Keystone uses. We had a blow out and did some damage and replaced all tires with some good truck tires. You will find lots of discussions on various forums about tires.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
And I forgot: The decals on the front cap started peeling off a few months after we purchased the unit - not unusual for Keystone I think. They have agreed to send me new decals and I expect them in UPS this week. I will probably just hold on to them for awhile. But I wanted it addressed before the 1 year warranty expired (it has now a few days ago).
I did purchase a 7 year extended warranty so hope that is a good plan - time will tell.

If the 343RL had 6000 lb axles I would recommend in a minute. The desk area is really nice. The unit feels very stable and the kitchen layout and living area and bathroom all were what we wanted. We are not full timers but do plan to live in this trailer for many months out of the year. And we wanted something that can be safely pulled with a 3/4 ton.

Will answer any questions.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeavorV10 View Post
We have been in a new 3725RL for almost a month, quality is about the same as others in its price range however I'm not super impressed with quality of ANY fiver I have looked at.
Then I suspect you didn't look at Excel, Arctic Fox or NuWa HitchHikers. They cost a little more, but the quality is much better.

Jim
Old 08-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #9

We looked at a 5th wheel by accident last week, not that we are in the market.
All it said on the side was "Tradition by Design". It was 38 foot with a center kitchen. Looked like it was at least a mid level quality rig. Any info?

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote