RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2020, 11:28 PM   #1

Lippert 6 point hydraulic storage

I have a 2020 raptor 356 with the lippert 6 point hydraulic leveling system. I have had some small issues with it and am now starting to get the popping/cracking noise now that we’re getting into the summer months. I did a search and found the cat fluid add and will be doing it soon in hopes it can make it a little better.

My question is when not in use is it better to use the front jacks just as the landing gear or is it better to level the rig and keep all jacks planted to the ground when In storage at home. I use the rig at least once per month sometimes more so it doesn’t sit for long. My logic would be that I could take some weight off the front jacks to even the load out but I did see the landing gear is rated for a lot more weight.
Dennis852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2020, 12:16 AM   #2

It honestly doesn’t make a difference, the trailers are designed to sit on just the front landing gear. Also the additive is highly recommended, it helps keep the solenoids from sticking. Personally I’d store the trailer with the leveling jacks retracted.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #3

I replaced my fluid with Amsoil synthetic automatic transmission fluid and it seems to have smoothed it out especially in the winter. I leave all the jacks down as it takes some of the weight off the tires and springs.
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:04 PM   #4

I've stored both ways. Over the winter, I typically leave it on the front landing gear only.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:25 PM   #5

For short term youll be fine just using the front jacks. We level because we're in and out of the thing constantly and want the slides out. For long term storage, like if you know its going to be for over a month, everything needs to be retracted. Theyre hydraulic rams and you never want to leave the shaft exposed to the elements long term. A tiny bit of rust on one of those rods and then getting sucked through the orings will destroy the orings with enough cycles and cause leaks. Keeping the jacks retracted will keep any of the rod that crosses the seals in a bath of fluid and prevent rust. You also want to make sure those rods are clean any time theyre retracted to keep dirt from destroying the seals.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
For short term youll be fine just using the front jacks. We level because we're in and out of the thing constantly and want the slides out. For long term storage, like if you know its going to be for over a month, everything needs to be retracted. Theyre hydraulic rams and you never want to leave the shaft exposed to the elements long term. A tiny bit of rust on one of those rods and then getting sucked through the orings will destroy the orings with enough cycles and cause leaks. Keeping the jacks retracted will keep any of the rod that crosses the seals in a bath of fluid and prevent rust. You also want to make sure those rods are clean any time theyre retracted to keep dirt from destroying the seals.
You keep the front ones down 24/7 when parked, why would the rear ones get rusty
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
You keep the front ones down 24/7 when parked, why would the rear ones get rusty
You want to keep them all nice.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, lippert, storage