Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2021, 07:12 AM   #15

Unless you want to spend a few thousand dollars after you get it, I would keep looking.
Once the top back seal, and corners start leaking, it turns the plywood into mush, and must be replaced.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #16

It’s a 2013 coachman 269bh
I offered 11.5k, was countered 14k, then I countered 13k. Was told no deal. 14k firm. Gonna sleep on it.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty View Post
Makes sense. I was thinking glueing to the stud would prevent racking but like you said they may need to allow for some racking so leave it unglued.

Anyone here with a fifth or trailer with a back wall that feels unglued?
Ever see a Keystone Cougar thats a few years old?
Last I saw Keystone doesn't attach the rear exterior panel to the framing. It's sandwiched to the framing by a window or any other exterior items like the perimeter molding, vents, lights, etc.

They look wavy under certain light conditions. We have a Camping World south of us on the freeway. If you drive by at the right time and the suns shinning the right way, every rear wall looks terrible. Get up close and you don't see it.

I'm sure there's many other RV brands that do this too.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:19 AM   #18

My suggestion was try to find some similar models in a similar year grouping and see what the others look like. You probably won't find exact matches but similar Coachmen models. Don't compare a thor product to a forest river to a winnebago since the building methods may not be the same.

My short gut feeling without seeing or knowing more is to avoid any suspect construction failure. They only get worse.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Last I saw Keystone doesn't attach the rear exterior panel to the framing. It's sandwiched to the framing by a window or any other exterior items like the perimeter molding, vents, lights, etc.

They look wavy under certain light conditions. We have a Camping World south of us on the freeway. If you drive by at the right time and the suns shinning the right way, every rear wall looks terrible. Get up close and you don't see it.

I had a 2016 Keystone Passport that was like that. The rear wall was the only wall that was not laminated using styrofoam. It was always a little soft. Just the way it was designed. Always bothered me a little.
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:18 PM   #20

We had a slogan when I worked in a hospital kitchen while in college... "If in doubt, throw it out."

In my opinion, you have doubts about this camper. Solution? Throw it out. Look for another one. They are out there.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post

My Keystone Hideout is done like this. I about fell out of my chair once when I was camping and the sun reflected off it. After looking at many others I realized that is just the way some are built. It feels funny too. Like the outer skin isn't fixed directly to anything like the sides.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:30 PM   #22

I have a 2018 Chaparral 360IBL built with Azdel...rear wall flexes from Day 1, I didn't think much about it considering it was Azdel.

Now I have 30k mi on the rig and i notice about mid way up the rear trim on both sides appears to be pulling away. It is obvious--there is a line where the decals were applied and now a 1/8" gap. I can push the wall/trim back in place but have not yet tried to rescrew it.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:22 PM   #23

KZ RV Club
check the back clearance lights and see if there are leaks in that area. Son bought one that had prior leaks that had been fixed.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyp4951 View Post
Unless you want to spend a few thousand dollars after you get it, I would keep looking.
Once the top back seal, and corners start leaking, it turns the plywood into mush, and must be replaced.
It's AZDEL. No plywood to turn to mush.

My 2020 Chaparral back wall will move slightly when pushing on it. As some have said, the back wall (at least on mine) is not glued to the studs. Per Coachmen, this is so that the wall can flex during travel.

If there are no signs anywhere of current or previous water intrusion or previous repairs and I felt comfortable with the rest of the rig, I wouldn't be concerned with it.
Nlambert is offline   Reply With Quote