Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2021, 03:01 PM   #1

Looking at new to me 5th, back wall delam?

Looking at a 2013 5th, everything looks good, except back wall feels delaminated inside and out. Roof looks good, I checked over every seal. No mildew odors. Inside wall feels delaminated but not crunchy like water damaged panel. Could it be a bad glue job? Should I stay away?
meaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2021, 03:02 PM   #2

It’s a coachman chaparral. Asking 16k. High end of nada. Nada 13-16.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #3

I guess question is, is a whole wall delam possible without moisture? And is yes, cause for concern?
Old 01-10-2021, 04:50 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do you know enough to live with the delam wall and the possibility that it WAS caused by an unseen leak? I dont think anyone could answer that questions without opening it up for sure... It is possible fault manufacturing could of caused it but as said before.. Unless you open it up no way to tell..

How do you know the leak didnt occur years ago and then sealed it after the fact?

Your talking about a 7-8 year old rig.........

If it was a steal maybe bite on the deal.. But at the high end of NADA no way.
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:42 PM   #5

Where is the fresh water fill on it? I have a Montana and I have slight delamination on my wall where the inlet is. I found that if the water is left running after the tank is full, water comes out of the tank's air inlet/overflow. When that water was hitting the trim ring, some was getting inside the wall. Simple fix but I had to find it first.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:46 PM   #6

your're right

No idea if there was a leak. Seller is 2nd owner. Even though it looks sealed now, delam could be old. After my last class c that I had to replace whole roof and cut open exterior walls, I swore I'd never but a rv with delam again. I made it a sweet ride but had to get rid of because I needed more space. Never bought a new rv but I read all the horror stories of brand new rvs that leak and rot that's why I was leaning to getting a rv a few years old hoping all the gremlins were gone.

could delam rear wall enable racking (force out of plumb) due to loos of strength?
Old 01-10-2021, 06:11 PM   #7

Water fill is at front driver side. Whole back panel is delaminated. Even at edges and corners. No bulges or bubbles. Feels like there is a even say 1/16 “ over whole wall. Inside and out. But no smell or crunchy panels inside.

If nada was 13-16, everything else seems good to me, what do you think fair offer if I continue?

10k? Or stay away?
Old 01-10-2021, 07:15 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Its hard to say.... You dont know the extent of the damage till you open it up. it sounds like you have had experience with these issues before so you know better than most with how wrong things can go.

There are plenty of horror stories on here with water intrusion into units...
If you looking for a fixer up and the rest is mint.. I would offer 8 or 9...tops...
Just my two cents.

I would think that the walls are all part of the structure and help to keep things rigid. Imagine when they are framing house walls. when its just the studs you can move the whole wall horizontal and it will twist and bend, but when you put the sheeting on a wall it becomes rigid. With a camper it is going to be flexing and moving as you go down the road. So imagine what that will do to it..... I am not a home builder nor did I stay at a holiday inn express at anytime recently.. LOL

Good luck!
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:51 PM   #9

Thanks. Agreed.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty View Post
Looking at a 2013 5th, everything looks good, except back wall feels delaminated inside and out. Roof looks good, I checked over every seal. No mildew odors. Inside wall feels delaminated but not crunchy like water damaged panel. Could it be a bad glue job? Should I stay away?
Did you notice if there was an AZDEL sticker on the rig?

If it was built with AZDEL, chances of delam are slim, especially if you're feeling 1/16" movement over the whole wall.

Also, it is very unlikely that the back wall is even glued to the studs.
There is a lot of lateral flex when you're bouncing down the road. If the back wall was glued solid to the studs stress cracks would appear almost instantly.

In the end, the only way to know for sure is if the seller would pull off a corner moulding just enough to inspect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_772_2907711_118136512.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	314147  
Old 01-11-2021, 05:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Did you notice if there was an AZDEL sticker on the rig?

If it was built with AZDEL, chances of delam are slim, especially if you're feeling 1/16" movement over the whole wall.

Also, it is very unlikely that the back wall is even glued to the studs.
There is a lot of lateral flex when you're bouncing down the road. If the back wall was glued solid to the studs stress cracks would appear almost instantly.

In the end, the only way to know for sure is if the seller would pull off a corner moulding just enough to inspect.

Makes sense. I was thinking glueing to the stud would prevent racking but like you said they may need to allow for some racking so leave it unglued.

Anyone here with a fifth or trailer with a back wall that feels unglued?
Old 01-11-2021, 05:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Makes sense. I was thinking glueing to the stud would prevent racking but like you said they may need to allow for some racking so leave it unglued.

Yes has Azdel sticker

I think I’m going to make an offer
Old 01-11-2021, 06:50 AM   #13

I would run so fast the hounds couldn't catch me....No way is a rig with delam worth top of NADA pricing. Heck, I would not pay the lower side...future happiness says no way...

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:57 AM   #14

Quote:

I'm rebuilding a 5ver right now.

Side walls are glued, back wall is not glued.