Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2020, 08:56 AM   #15

Alright, as the OP of this thread, tell me what the Riverstone has over the Beacon. I’d particularly like to hear from Beacon and Riverstone owners and why they made the decisions they did.
Begger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #16

Personally, amount of info available via their website. I should not have to go somewhere else to figure out if it has dual pane windows, disc brakes, what insulation is in the walls. Where is the build video or the cut away view? Just felt like they were relying on name.

I liked the info available on Riverstone’s website, read every post on Riverside forum, checked out the Facebook page, toured the factory.

I like the water manifold, Goodyear tires, disc brakes, includes dishwasher, washer, dryer, wine cooler, residential fridge.

I’m sure they are both nice, I was just more comfortable ordering the Riverstone.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #17

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Personally, amount of info available via their website. I should not have to go somewhere else to figure out if it has dual pane windows, disc brakes, what insulation is in the walls. Where is the build video or the cut away view? Just felt like they were relying on name.

I liked the info available on Riverstone’s website, read every post on Riverside forum, checked out the Facebook page, toured the factory.

I like the water manifold, Goodyear tires, disc brakes, includes dishwasher, washer, dryer, wine cooler, residential fridge.

I’m sure they are both nice, I was just more comfortable ordering the Riverstone.
You hit the nail on the head about Vanleigh. Marketing glam and trying to rely on their class A reputation. Why is a cutaway or a more specific menu of how they are built available to the consumer? Is it a secret? They have had plenty of time now to update their marketing. I tell you, Americans love surface glitz and glam. Substance is secondary.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:26 AM   #18

2 years ago I began a serious search and investigation to go back to a 5th wheel from a great motorhome. Motorhome was a Itasca Horizon DP and the Horizon was the top trim line with very good build quality and finish. Solid Winnebago product. I wanted a mid to upper 30 foot model and leaned strongly toward the Vanleigh product since most coming out of IN were essentially built the same, rushed with NO QC. I figure like some that the Tiffin quality and reputation would have a great RV and the MS plant isn't that far from me.

All was well until I got a chance to see actual units. Inconsistent construction, flimsy and poorly constructed cabinetry, sloppily built. Several units with torn under slide materials. I arranged a factory tour in late 2018 and was appalled at what I saw. Filthy factory, haphazard construction, no QC. About the only positive thing I saw was the use of wiring looms instead of individual wiring pulled and connected. Frames the same LCI you get just about anywhere. Same substandard furnishings. Cabinetry flimsy and we saw cabinets sitting beside a Beacon, "top trim" with split wood, poorly stained, ready for installation. Such examples should have never left their cabinet shop which they so prominently advertised as made in-house, but there they were ready to be installed. Again NO QC. Factory tour guide touted the furniture as "real leather". Couches and such came from a MS plant, don't remember now the brand, but their web site showed NO real leather used. Tour guide was propagandist. I did like some of the lighter cabinet colors, girl friend hated the "prison concrete colored walls". After the tour and seeing close to a dozen units sitting on dealers lots I decided against a Vanleigh product. Apparently Bob Tiffin didn't pass the work ethic or desire to build a better product to Van and Leigh.

I don't follow what's going on anymore except seeing occasional references to them. Understand most buyers will defend their choice of purchase right or wrong. In my opinion the Vanleigh 5th wheel are grossly overpriced for what you get, haphazardly built and now apparently no real help from the company. No company Quality Assurance means no company Quality Control.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:12 PM   #19

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
2 years ago I began a serious search and investigation to go back to a 5th wheel from a great motorhome. Motorhome was a Itasca Horizon DP and the Horizon was the top trim line with very good build quality and finish. Solid Winnebago product. I wanted a mid to upper 30 foot model and leaned strongly toward the Vanleigh product since most coming out of IN were essentially built the same, rushed with NO QC. I figure like some that the Tiffin quality and reputation would have a great RV and the MS plant isn't that far from me.

All was well until I got a chance to see actual units. Inconsistent construction, flimsy and poorly constructed cabinetry, sloppily built. Several units with torn under slide materials. I arranged a factory tour in late 2018 and was appalled at what I saw. Filthy factory, haphazard construction, no QC. About the only positive thing I saw was the use of wiring looms instead of individual wiring pulled and connected. Frames the same LCI you get just about anywhere. Same substandard furnishings. Cabinetry flimsy and we saw cabinets sitting beside a Beacon, "top trim" with split wood, poorly stained, ready for installation. Such examples should have never left their cabinet shop which they so prominently advertised as made in-house, but there they were ready to be installed. Again NO QC. Factory tour guide touted the furniture as "real leather". Couches and such came from a MS plant, don't remember now the brand, but their web site showed NO real leather used. Tour guide was propagandist. I did like some of the lighter cabinet colors, girl friend hated the "prison concrete colored walls". After the tour and seeing close to a dozen units sitting on dealers lots I decided against a Vanleigh product. Apparently Bob Tiffin didn't pass the work ethic or desire to build a better product to Van and Leigh.

I don't follow what's going on anymore except seeing occasional references to them. Understand most buyers will defend their choice of purchase right or wrong. In my opinion the Vanleigh 5th wheel are grossly overpriced for what you get, haphazardly built and now apparently no real help from the company. No company Quality Assurance means no company Quality Control.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Well put. This just proves that all that glitz sells. Its beyond me that how anyone could justify their price with the lack of features compared to even a new Montana with the Legacy Package. Even the Montana website shows more about build and features than a Vanleigh. Pretty sad but there's a sucker born every minute and Vanleigh is laughing all the way to the bank.
https://www.keystonerv.com/fifth-wheels/montana/packages/
Old 05-09-2020, 05:21 AM   #20

There are more items standard on the River Stone Legacy then what Van Leigh offers, I believe the build time on a RS Legacy is 2 weeks BEFORE heading to paint, Van Leigh I am not sure. I really think your best option would be to try and see each brand and even try to spend some time inside to see if either fit your needs. Like every brand there are good and bad in each, we have a River Stone Legacy and am extremely happy with it, was it perfect no but what few issues we had all were taken care of at the factory level not because it needed to but both our dealer and the factory are near each other so if given a choice I prefer the factory. Good luck on your decision and enjoy
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:06 AM   #21

Before Covid-19 hit we were quoted lead times on Riverstone Legacy orders at 12 to 14 weeks.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Before Covid-19 hit we were quoted lead times on Riverstone Legacy orders at 12 to 14 weeks.
I am sure with the factory shut down and back orders you are correct on how long of a wait it will be. I was just saying 2 weeks for the actual build of the unit compared to the normal day and a half of other brands and then paint can take 2-4 weeks if one is ordered with full body paint. We will be out at the factory next week with friends who pick up their new RKFB at the dealer near by so will see how far behind they are.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
I am sure with the factory shut down and back orders you are correct on how long of a wait it will be. I was just saying 2 weeks for the actual build of the unit compared to the normal day and a half of other brands and then paint can take 2-4 weeks if one is ordered with full body paint. We will be out at the factory next week with friends who pick up their new RKFB at the dealer near by so will see how far behind they are.
We enjoyed the tour, one thing I forgot was to count how many unit are on the production floor at a time. If you get a chance I would like to know.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A couple of years ago we were in the market for a 5th wheel. Our dealer had both Vanleigh and Montana in stock. I couldn't find real "quality" differences between the two, although the Vanleigh was more expensive. As jdpm stated, lots of glitz. The one thing that I was really unimpressed with the Vanleigh was the undersized axles with little OCCC.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #25

Aside from all the excellent points brought up here, let me also add this:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/lippert-lci-485628.html

One of the worst examples of customer service I have seen across ANY brand, never mind a so-called luxury builder. Our coach is a Forest River product and they have sent me minor items for free on a 2015 coach many years out of warranty. FWIW that’s who builds Riverstone.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:51 AM   #26

Quote:
We enjoyed the tour, one thing I forgot was to count how many unit are on the production floor at a time. If you get a chance I would like to know.
I will try to get a count, have not been to the new factory so curious to see the difference in them.
Old 05-14-2020, 03:26 PM   #27

Thank you all for your input. We’ve added Riverstone to the list of possibles.
Begger is offline   Reply With Quote