Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #29

Send a message via AIM to DonaandDon
Ok, so I gave you a couple od days to find the truck. Here's the link for the 5r.

Lifestyle Luxury Recreational Vehicles, LLC.

I like the side (cycle room) slider!! Whoop Whoop !
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
Ok, so I gave you a couple od days to find the truck. Here's the link for the 5r.

Lifestyle Luxury Recreational Vehicles, LLC.

I like the side (cycle room) slider!! Whoop Whoop !
For a 40' er it is incredibly light almost unbelievable ,I love the cycle room - smart- but it better weigh in at closer to 17,000 or it will fall apart quickly.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:42 AM   #31

Heartland RV Club
I could give you a list that would take hours reading about the problems with our 2015 Heartland Big Horn 3875..... from black tanks that would not dump.... to factory generators not wired correctly... there does not seem to be ANY quality control on this unit... but a BIG price. and JUST try to find someone to fix it.... GOOD LUCK !!!!!!
rcalca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #32

I am just back from spending all day, every day at the Tampa RV show. I went there specifically to look at the "5'ers vs motor homes" decision.

I intend to full-time & be able to boon dock for several days at a time. I would like to not carry LP gas, if able.

I concluded that there were too many issues trying to make all those stars align, especially with no LP. So, I will go with a motor home.

The Tampa show had so many 5'ers I could not look at them all. But based on the ones I did look at, my personal conclusion is that these manufacturers (& models) are at the top of the 'quality' pig pile:

DRV (Elite Suites)
ForksRV (Continential)

The following are closely behind:

SpaceCraft (all custom builds)
Heartland (Landmark 365)
New Horizons (several models)

Again, this is just an observation coming from limited experience & not seeing them all.

Many thanks to all who provided input. Beam me up, Scotty.
99phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #33

Texas Boomers Club
rcalca, you might want to get on the Heartland Owners forum (free) where you will find many helpful owners that can help you. I'm sure that you've already been in contact with your dealer.

good luck
Old 01-21-2015, 04:35 AM   #34

Heartland RV Club
Thanks JayC..... Incidentally your name... JayC is the one I usually use.... Had to smile... My middle name is Jay and my last name starts with "C"

Your suggestion is exactly correct... return to your selling dealer. HOWEVER this unit is sold as a full time unit and I do exactly that, full time. I purchased the unit at Lakeshore RV in Muskegon Michigan where it is covered in snow. I do not plan on returning to Michigan and it is also expensive if you are full timing in the Western US... If you have a serious problem in August and your in Colorado.... then a serious problem in Texas in November.... that can become cost prohibitive and when I call other Heartland dealers or ANY service person with a black tank problem.... they are booked through spring.... no one wants to return to the Michigan snowbelt from Texas in January to fix their black tank. I believe the Heartland dealer network should be more receptive to warranty problems.... I have rv'd for over 40 years and NEVER have had problems of this magnitude or frequency. One problem was a sample bottle of toilet chemical unopened in the black tank drain hole... now a pipe from the bottom of the toilet came loose and fell into the black tank blocking the drain hole. The incorrectly wired generator that was factory installed I should have caught before I left Michigan.
rcalca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:44 AM   #35

Texas Boomers Club
Hi Jay C,
We are full timers as well and I fully understand your issues. Contact Heartland Customer Service (574 262-2030) and they will recommend a local dealer for you wherever you are. They will also allow outside dealers-non Heartland dealers- to work on your rig.

Good luck.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:24 PM   #36

Yes if you can afford the Continental Coach, or New Horizon's, Excel, and DRV, you can't go wrong...and now there's the Augusta Luxe on the luxury end too. Then there is Lifestyle (also by Evergreen) also a full time 5er..But there some lower line 5er's a little more affordable too, like Evergreen Bay Hill (very well built,all aluminum double welded, and insulated very well) along with Forest River, and others mentioned in this blog...like the Cardinals and Landmarks. All the manufactuers offer their high-end units, and most offer the same floor plans. But you have to look at the base construction of each first...and since most have the same floor plans, look at the appliances. Many for example are now offering residential fridges, but only a few will have a dishwasher. A lot on here say they need or use the dishwasher...but we do...it saves water for one thing, and its a nice convenience. Look at the mattresses in the bedroom. You find some nice high-end units with the layout you like, but then they have a cheap mattress. Yes you can replace, but why should you when you have a choice? Look at everything!!
Look at the small things...like the washer connections, and for that matter all plumbing connections that you can visually see. You will see a difference in many of these so called high-end units that manufacturers cut corners on. Look at the cabinetry...many look nice until you inspect and see they are stapled and glued vs screwed and glues or better..dovetail..screwed and glued. Look for solid wood on the cabinets. Look at the hot water systems, etc. You won't learn that much by just going to 1 RV show. The forums are ok, but many owners on here really don't know that much about other RV's, just their own. Some on here are more knowledgeable than others, because they've been the RV school of hard knocks, but I what mean is don't always trust what you read on here. I've read many of the blogs from owners on here that might have had a good rv, but their rv may come from one of the manufactuers that has some the highest QC problems on the market...and I won't name the manufacturers, but if you do your homework..you will learn who those are.
suprdave1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:38 PM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If you will be in cold weather a 5th wheel will be insulated better than a motor home. Motorhomes for the most part are not insulated that well.
Not if you look at the right brands of motorhomes!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #38

Nuwa is no longer in production. They do sell Lifestyle which is a quality product.
jojolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't know what the time schedule is, but one or more members of the Tiffin family are starting a business Vanleigh RV that will be building fivers.
Manufacturer to add 75 jobs in Tishomingo County | Money - WAPT Home
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #40

Take a look at Montana. Insulated very well. Good heater. I suggested 50amp. Two a/c's. At least a 3/4 heavy duty pu. I had a motor home and I find the 5th wheel a lot easier on the road.
southwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:12 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave1958 View Post
Yes if you can afford the Continental Coach, or New Horizon's, Excel, and DRV, you can't go wrong...and now there's the Augusta Luxe on the luxury end too. Then there is Lifestyle (also by Evergreen) also a full time 5er..But there some lower line 5er's a little more affordable too, like Evergreen Bay Hill (very well built,all aluminum double welded, and insulated very well) along with Forest River, and others mentioned in this blog...like the Cardinals and Landmarks. All the manufactuers offer their high-end units, and most offer the same floor plans. But you have to look at the base construction of each first...and since most have the same floor plans, look at the appliances. Many for example are now offering residential fridges, but only a few will have a dishwasher. A lot on here say they need or use the dishwasher...but we do...it saves water for one thing, and its a nice convenience. Look at the mattresses in the bedroom. You find some nice high-end units with the layout you like, but then they have a cheap mattress. Yes you can replace, but why should you when you have a choice? Look at everything!!
Look at the small things...like the washer connections, and for that matter all plumbing connections that you can visually see. You will see a difference in many of these so called high-end units that manufacturers cut corners on. Look at the cabinetry...many look nice until you inspect and see they are stapled and glued vs screwed and glues or better..dovetail..screwed and glued. Look for solid wood on the cabinets. Look at the hot water systems, etc. You won't learn that much by just going to 1 RV show. The forums are ok, but many owners on here really don't know that much about other RV's, just their own. Some on here are more knowledgeable than others, because they've been the RV school of hard knocks, but I what mean is don't always trust what you read on here. I've read many of the blogs from owners on here that might have had a good rv, but their rv may come from one of the manufactuers that has some the highest QC problems on the market...and I won't name the manufacturers, but if you do your homework..you will learn who those are.
bumped for truth
I would buy a 10 year old Teton before a brand new Montana or any of the common mass produced rv's.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:03 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone eagle View Post
bumped for truth
I would buy a 10 year old Teton before a brand new Montana or any of the common mass produced rv's.
We did. We are very happy with our Teton
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, quality