RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #1

Looking for a new 5th Wheel

Good morning folks. I hope I am in the correct forum for my question. If not please tell me to take a hike somewhere else . My wife and I are looking to purchase a new 5th wheel. The unit will be permanently set on a lot we own in Gatlinburg, TN. Max budget is around $100k. Currently looking at the RiverStone 37MRE. I would appreciate any suggestions and why. I am going to look in the specific forums for info as well.

Thank you

dbooneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #2

We ordered that model with the legacy option and had a few more 110 outlets put in and cat6 cables run also price was just slightly higher than mentioned. We should be picking it up early August. I spent two years researching and think Riverstone was the best choice when balancing quality vs price.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #3

If you never plan to move it why not look into a park model, 12 foot wide with no slide outs, conventional roof with shingles and an external residential type forced AC?
Old 06-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
If you never plan to move it why not look into a park model, 12 foot wide with no slide outs, conventional roof with shingles and an external residential type forced AC?

Or a mobile home or modular for that price. All are much more suited to stationary life.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #5

For 50k you can get a super nice 16' wide mobile home (like in a trailer park). All dry walled for maybe 55k.
No way would I buy a Riverstone unless I was going to buy a dually truck and travel.

A lot of mobile homes are bring built with 2"x6" exterior walls. Typical layout is a bedroom and bathroom at each end and living and kitchen in the middle.

Or maybe contract for a 50k tiny house. That would be better than some 5th wheel IMHO.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #6

The resort I am in has restrictions. No longer than 45’, no wider than 104” (not including slide-outs), no peaked roofs, etc.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:58 PM   #7

You can still get into what they call "Destination Trailers" standard width with several slides, but give you a nice flat floor plan and for same square footage as a 5er at approx half the price.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:10 PM   #8

I have looked at the park models but the ones I have looked at seem to be of lesser quality. I would definitely consider a park model if I could find a well built unit with a good floor plan. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #9

If you decide not to go with a park model, check out the new Alliance RV. They are pretty nice and have a lot of things std that are usually optional.
jimc3165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #10

I have looked at the Alliance units. They appear to be well built but it looks like they do not have the whisper quite AC. A park model would work well if I could find a well built one that does not have the living and kitchen combined. We are looking for something where the living area is separated ( as much as it can be in an RV) from the kitchen.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:17 PM   #11

Have you looked at the Jayco bungalow models?

https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...ngalow/40fkds/
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Have you looked at the Jayco bungalow models?

https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...ngalow/40fkds/
I have not but I will. Thank you.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Exactly. I was thinking the same thing, then of course someone came in and said this before me lol. But a park model feels more like a home than a 5th wheel does. Not to mention it sleeps WAY more than a 5th wheel (even the bunkhouse models). There are some that have a second story (low roof, but still second story).

I forget this model name, but my favorite 5th wheel bunkhouse model has two bedrooms! Two enclosed bedrooms with 1 bath, and the second bedroom has bunk beds and a play area with a TV. Do you have any visitors coming?
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:43 PM   #14

Front living space models are pretty nice. I was going to go with middle living room on the Arctic Wolf model of fifth wheel. It's the 311ml. It's a mid living space, but there is a barrier between the kitchen and living space.

You would have to go pretty long on a park model in order for the living space and kitchen be separated. Believe me, I do not like when the two spaces encroach on each other.

The park model 2021 FOREST RIVER SANDPIPER DESTINATION 420FL looks nice, and they are separated.

gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel