Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #1

Looking for a new TV for our travels

Our Chaparral 336 came equipped with a Furrion 40" TV. The picture is fine, but the sound is just too muddy for my liking. Furrion claims to be vibration resistant, but is there really any significant difference between it and any other commercial brand? We have a Vizio 40" in the bedroom that we lay flat on the bed when we travel, so it is well cushioned and protected from vibration. Would vibrations really damage a Vizio or other commercial if it is left hanging on the wall mount while traveling? Is vibration resistance just a sales gimmick?

Also, I was thinking about using a Sanus brand swiveling wall mount from Walmart in the living room. Is there any real difference between it and the specialized versions sold for RV use?
Randalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 10:54 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
We've a 40" Samsung in the entertainment center of our Montana and it's gone over some pretty rough roads with no problems.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:00 PM   #3

Isn't there a way to adjust the sound settings on your furrion?
Instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:13 PM   #4

Not that I've found, Instymp. It has rear mounted speakers which just sound really muddy to me, especially when the ceiling a/c is on. I also have hearing loss from 30+ years in the Army, which doesn't help, either. When I really want to hear something clearly I have some high-end wireless headphones, but there is a limit to how long I want to wear those.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We purchased a sound bar for our tv's.

Bose Solo 5 TV Sound System - 732522-1110

Much better. I also have a hearing loss from being in the Air Force for 22 years.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalf View Post
Not that I've found, Instymp. It has rear mounted speakers which just sound really muddy to me, especially when the ceiling a/c is on. I also have hearing loss from 30+ years in the Army, which doesn't help, either. When I really want to hear something clearly I have some high-end wireless headphones, but there is a limit to how long I want to wear those.
Do you have a separate surround sound system in your rig? If so connect your coaxial OUT of your tv to the coaxial IN of the system and you should be able to pipe the sound through the surround.
dea49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:12 AM   #7

Ditto - get some speakers. I've never heard tv sound that's adequate. I have a Sony sound bar but it's a little too big. Small Bose are probably the ticket. I have built in surround but it's a pain to use and doesn't sound good (avoid Panasonic) so I just plug my sound bar into the tv audio out. Much easier and sounds better.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
Do you have a separate surround sound system in your rig? If so connect your coaxial OUT of your tv to the coaxial IN of the system and you should be able to pipe the sound through the surround.
We run ours through the sound system also.
Instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #9

Unfortunately, we don't have surround sound, just the standard issue Jensen AM/FM/CD player and two speakers each in the LR, bedroom and outdoors. I haven't pulled the Jensen out yet to see if I can hook it into the TV. I want to be able to listen to CDs on my cordless headphones, so I'm hoping it has an audio-out jack to route the sound through the TV. I don't know if it is sophisticated enough to also allow me to pipe the TV sound through the house speakers.

I like the idea of either a sound bar, or wireless speakers mounted above our theater seats. Currently the sound is barely acceptable with the volume at 9 when the ceiling a/c isn't running. But when that baby kicks on I have to jack the volume up to 40!
Old 05-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #10

Just get a sound bar. I guess your jensen doesn't have digital audio, so you can plug speaker into the audio out of your tv, then set tv audio for analog out to bypass internal speakers. Then it will work for everything coming through the tv. For headphones my sony doesn't have a headphone jack but you can use a splicing jack and run your headphones through the same audio jack. I'm guessing you'll need an rca to mini audio jack to run from the tv to the speaker, then a 2 female to 1 male adaptor to add in your headphones. I also need a female to female adaptor to add an extension cable to my headphones.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:36 PM   #11

We purchased a Sharp Aquos 43" ultra-high def TV two days ago, and the sound definitely beats the heck out of the Furrion TV! We set it up in the bedroom just to try it out, so we haven't tried wiring it into the Jensen, or looked into satellite speakers yet. It may prove to be a big enough improvement that I won't need to do those things!

Interestingly enough, my wife likes the new ultra high def a lot, but doesn't think it's big enough for the bedroom. So, even though the set is only eight feet away from our faces, she now wants me to put something 48" or larger in the bedroom! Yes, dear.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:16 AM   #12

Ha, its not often the wife is the one lobbying for a bigger TV.

As far as the TVs being specially "vibration resistant", that sounds like a sales gimmick to me. I believe the Toshiba in the living room of our 5er is a standard residential LCD tv.

On the wall mount, I think that the only difference between the one if my 5th wheel and the one at my house is that the one in my trailer has a clasp that locks it back against the wall so it doesn't swing around when traveling. If I remember correctly, I believe the latch is something added onto the wall mount aftermarket. It looks like an add-on.
ResidentEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:14 AM   #13

Regular TV is all you need, Furrion is a subpar TV IMHO. Vibration resistance is a sales pitch to me. For a sound system I got a Vizio 38" sound bar with wireless subwoofer and satellite speakers. No running of wires. Sounds pretty good too.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Two standard Vizio's on wall mounts with 25,000 miles and lots of vibrations. We've had no issues.
memphisflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel