Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2021, 06:20 PM   #57

Welcome to the forum and thank you for serving!!! Like some others have said. Buy used. Most of the bugs may be worked out already and you will not take the depreciation hit. Most manufacturers don't do quality control and leave that as an after sale function. Warranty sounds good, until you figure that you have to drag the camper somewhere and leave it for 4 weeks. Good luck and happy camping.
JimWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2021, 06:21 PM   #58

Welcome to Maryland when you get here. We stayed at one of the navy camprounds in southern maryland. Safe travels
Silverback8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:58 PM   #59

I too am single and live in a fifth wheel. One thing to make sure of is that you have a washer and dryer or at least a hook up for them. That is probably the best upgrade that I’ve done. Life becomes much easier with the washer and dryer.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:01 PM   #60

The info posted about my equipment is totally wrong. That is from 2 years ago and I have not been able to update it.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:40 PM   #61

If you are looking to full-time while on the job id not look at anything new...you'll be in warranty work without a house for at least 6 months of the first year.
Buy late model new after someone else took the depreciation and headaches of getting all the Warrenty work done
frodo2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:17 PM   #62

Send a message via Skype™ to hawkman54
Upscale 5th wheel

We lived in a Landmark for 8 years in cold of Colorado, and the heat of Texas. It was very cold in Jackson Hole and substain the heat in Georia.

I would look at the upscale models with the floor plans you like. I would definitely buy used. Save the 30 to 40% depreciation.

If I had to do it all over again, it would be Landmark, DRV, Riverstone. Or any thing with the 3" walls, and thicker subfloors, dual pane windows. Being a used rig, consider coating the roof with one of the liquid roof sealers. They will provide much insulation.

Now where do I go to find these rigs. Look at the trader, PPL, and don't forget RV4Less. They were a big help when I was looking for my Landmark.

Jon
hawkman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:10 AM   #63

Look for a quality pre-owned unit. The previous owners will have most of the major flaws/repairs worked out of it (they all have them, especially new ones), and you won’t take the horrendous depreciation bath that goes with buying new. You will need the money for repairs and maintenance of your FW and your truck.
MonacoSig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:24 AM   #64

A term you will need to be familiar with: SMIB = Southern Maryland In Bred. One of those terms that's meant to be an insult but is embraced by the long term locals, kindof like being a redneck. My daughter was born in Southern Maryland and is quite proud of her SMIB title.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:53 PM   #65

You've gotten a world of advise and suggestions. If you're open to older models, some I'd look at are HR Presidential, HitchHiker, Alpenlite and Mobile Suites. Look for 97-2013 ranges. Teton and King of the Road also impressed me back in the day but I haven't seen either for sometime. The main thing with older units is you have to see them in person. 99% can be ruled out by using your nose as soon as you walk thru the door. We all have a different idea of "like new". With your skillset, you will have no problem with fixing most anything that goes wrong with whatever RV you find so use any problems as a negotiating point. If you can find an old one, it'll be cheap living for your tour and you'll likely get all of your money out of it when you separate. Fair winds and following seas.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:22 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didy View Post
Thank you for your service!!
I appreciate it! Thank you for your support!
IronSydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:24 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAJMARTIN View Post
I look at favorite layout and storage while my husband looks at the mechanical and structure stuff. I agree with buy used. Let someone else take the hit on depreciation and all the warranty bugs will be repaired.
Thank you for the input! Yeah, that is absolutely the way I am leaning now is a late model (or even older) 5er that has already had all the warranty work done.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:34 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac7nj View Post
I have basically the same equipment that you are looking at. We have been living in for almost 4 years. The Bighorn is comfortable year round, some differences with location.
Sense COVID 19 we have been in eastern Washington state. Single digit temperatures in winter and 80’s 90’s now until October. Not too much snow here so that wasn’t a issue.
Our heated water hose failed this year and broke the selector valve in the trailer, after the part arrived 30 minutes and done.
Propane use here was between 1 and 2 gallons a day when it was the coldest. I didn’t bother with skirting to reduce heating costs.
Message me back if you have more questions
Randy
Randy,

Thanks so much! It's good to hear that the Bighorn is performing so well in those kinds of tempatures. With all of the suggestions, and what is availible in my area, I think I have narrowed down my choices between the Bighorn and the Montana. Now I just have to wait to get home to actually step foot in them! I will definitely keep your username handy if I come up with anymore questions.

Thanks again,
Marc
Old 05-18-2021, 12:35 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassPlayer View Post
After reading about mold problems that people found in insulation, before buying I'd do some research on which rigs had that problem even with proper maintenance, because Maryland is very high humidity and "condensation happens." Mold can be a serious health issue.
Noted and thank you! I will make that a part of my inspection criteria and be adding a mold inspection test kit to my tool box! I am also planning on running a dehumidifier 24/7 as well to help with the humidity.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:37 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllStates View Post
Our 2013 New Horizons 5th Wheel is the answer. See ad on IRV2 classifieds.
Al G.
215-410-1890
Lol, I'll take a look at it!

Tags
advice, full time