Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #1

Looking for information

Hey all,
We are totally new to the fifth wheel trailer world and are looking for our first trailer. Have had many bumper pull types in the past but want to go with a 5ver this time.

As I am researching the quality of the different types of trailers I keep running across the Lippert pin box frame breakage issues. I also noticed that Lippert sells an air ride pin box now and other companies sell air ride 5th wheel hitches. Hensley Trailer Saver comes to mind.

My question is, could all the pin box frame breakage be caused by lots of miles on rough roads or constant load shocks from to the pin box to the 5th wheel hitch or no, not really, they were just all junk?

I ran across a thread where it was mentioned that 80% of the manufactures used the same source for trailer frames. Does that mean that all of them broke or were repaired at one time or was it a hit and miss on them?

I’m just trying to figure out how to find a trailer where the frame is not currently cracked or has been repaired a number of times without asking the owner or service department to drop the covering to show me the frame section as I am thinking that would be unrealistic.

Any help from the "been there done that" crowd would be appreciated.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 01:31 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, Lippert makes most of the frames for 5er's, between 85% and 90% of them I believe. Northwoods/Nash RV manufacture makes their own 5er frames and a couple of others. But for the most part it is Lippert.

Now does every frame made by Lippert fail NO! Can a frame fail yes, anything made by man can fail. Another item you must remember is Lippert is a sub-supplier to the RV manufacture and the frame is built to the RV manufactures specifications.

I have owned three different 5th wheels trailers and I never had a frame failure on any of the units I have owned.

Are you buying a used trailer or a new trailer? A new trailer will not have a cracked frame and depending on price of the unit the frame may be of a higher quality than a low cost 5er trailer frame.

I know that when I was looking for a new 5er, I wanted a 12" frame which could be a 10" main frame with a welded 2" tube on top. Why, this is a stronger frame and in a higher quality 5th wheel unit.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #3

The RV industry is full of shoddy workmanship. From the frame to the roof and all points in between. with that being said, I don't read about to many frame failures anymore. I still do but not very often. Pretty much if it's a Lippert product it has a higher chance of failing. Lippert products are in every RV period. So with that taken into account it's no wonder that part failures have Lpperts name on them.
IMHO I wouldn't worry about it. If you look at how many 5th wheels are sold every year then add up the number of reported frame failures on 5th wheel you read about. It's a really minute amount.
If you're very concerned about it then Northwood and Outdoors RV are the only ones I know of right now building mid-range priced 5th wheels with in house made frames.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:14 PM   #4

We are looking for used under 20k. and a mnimum of 28 feet. Planning on living full time in it while our house is being built and use it for weekend camping adventures after that.

We have looked at a Dutcham Colorado, Komfort, Montana, and a couple other brands.

Waiting to hear back from owners to see a Custom Cruiser and a Heartland.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote