Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2022, 09:25 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Looking for shorter 5th wheel that can tow

Greetings!
My DW and I currently have a 36 ft. Cedar Creek 5th wheel and we are looking to downsize to something smaller that will better fit national forest and BLM campgrounds. We also have a 12 ft. utility trailer that we carry our side-by-side OHV on. So, we are looking for 5th wheels in the 30 ft. range that are capable of towing the utility trailer and OHV (~3,500 lbs total). This seems to be a hard animal to find so I'm hoping some of you all will have some insights/suggestions that would help.

In our online research we have looked at Arctic Fox Grand Ronde and Grand Designs Reflection series, among others. There are several "HT" labeled units in that 30 ft. range but I am doubtful that these supposed half-ton towables would be able to handle the utility trailer. We have also looked at some shorter toy haulers but many have very strange mixes of water capacities, i.e. 160 gal. fresh and 50 gal. each for grey and black, as well a lack of kitchen/wardrobe storage and small fridge.

Weight of the unit is not really a concern since my TV is a Ram 3500 dually.

Some key items in our wish list are:
1. 30 ft. or shorter (may go up to 32 ft. if the design is right)
2. Reasonable water capacities in the range of 80 gal. fresh
3. Able to tow 3500 lbs. at the rear
4. Decent size fridge at 12-13 cu. ft.
5. Decent pantry and wardrobe storage
6. If a toyhauler, it will need to have a minimum 12 ft. garage space

We may be looking for something that doesn't exist but with so many makes and models out there it's hard to see all possible options. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2022, 10:06 PM   #2

Are there toyhaulers that will hold your quad?
I would maybe look at orvs mtn trx series
The biggest is 27 trx..its a travel trailer
That could possibly haul your quad
With 13.4 of garage space. You then
Get your truck bed back. It is 36ft long though.
Built in fuel tanks...100 gal fresh
Sell your quad trailer..Not sure it meets all your needs though.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:49 AM   #3

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Abq5er, take a look at the Grand Design Reflection and their Relection 150 series, my 150 series came with a factory installed 3500 lb. receiver hitch
Retired Tanker Yanker 2017 F-250 Short Bed 6.7 2019 Reflection 150 273 MK, Carlisle CSL 16 225/75 15, MORryde CRE 3000 & center X cross brace, Sumo springs, Andersen Ultimate Hitch,SoftStart A/C, May your pleasures be many and your troubles be few! Safe Journey.
Skilletface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:40 AM   #4

Not sure where you have been, but there are states that don't allow double towing(triple towing). I have a 32 ft Crossroads Cruiser that came with a 3500 lb hitch and is wired for 4 flat trailer..

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:38 AM   #5

We've towed our Jeep behind our 27-5 AF for several years now. Jeep is set up with a Brake Buddy and the AF has been converted to disc brakes. Hitch on trailer is a bolt on Curt universal RV hitch. For anything over 2000 pounds, I'd suggest surge brakes on your trailer. From my experience, AF are up to the job. No experience with GD, but they are nice looking rigs. I'm surprised they allow/condone towing behind the trailer. If that is correct, I'd put them on my shopping list. Wouldn't even waste my time looking at 1/2 ton towables or "ultralight". You easily have enough truck. BTW, we rarely park at a commercial camp ground. Mostly boondock or state or federal. The 27-5 fits easily. 30' was a hard length for us. I do have 29-5T envy but they were just too long for us. Hope this helps.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:10 AM   #6

Doubles will greatly reduce the States you can go. Do your homework.

Tags
5th wheel, tow