Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Louvered Tailgates For Your 5r

How many folks use a Louverd Tailgate for your 5r?

This is our 3rd 5r and I am yet to put one on but thinking about it.

I know the advantage is the ease of hooking and unhooking but other than that what is gained???________

Up to now I have resisted because we have a fold up cover that locks and I have wanted to keep the back end secure and dry when not hauling.

If you have one that would do that I would be interested in getting one.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #2

Used the lovered tailgate when hauling, as you said easier for hook up and disconnect. Another, was the gate was about a 100lbs lighter than stock.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #3

I use a metal one on my truck whether I am towing or not. It actually gives me about .5-.75 extra mpg on the highway, allows me to see things like kids and smart cars thru the louvers when I am backing up, weighs a lot less than the factory tg and, of course, easier to hookup. I don't keep anything of value in my truck bed unless it's chained down....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't want to give up the back up camera that is mounted in the solid tailgate.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #5

Lack of security is the big one for me. Plus i just cant see or justify spending hundreds of dollars for something i already hand and works good
Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #6

I like my louvered tailgate, never have to worry if I lowered or raised my tailgate when hooking up or unhooking. I'm not sure if it increases fuel economy but regardless, I do like the convenience.
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Myth busters show took on the tailgate down and better gas mileage myth. Turns out they got better mileage with the stock tailgate up.

Don't beat me up, write them.

I imagine with a 5er on it makes no difference.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #8

I have a fifth wheel tailgate and love not having to worry about not putting it up and down hooking up my trailer. I also get better gas mileage when not towing my trailer, but where you have a bedcover you won't see any difference. I've also seen some that can put attachments into the center cutout allowing you to have a fully locked tailgate just like stock, but those are spendy.

Another person commented on myth busters claiming that gas mileage was better with tailgate up. That works for that specific model of truck (I believe that they had a Ford Explorer SportTrac) that has a miniature bed. Those trucks probably benefit with the physics that they describe, but my long bed truck has completely different physics. My tailgate acts like a huge air dam. Any better fuel economy is worth it.
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post
I have a fifth wheel tailgate and love not having to worry about not putting it up and down hooking up my trailer. I also get better gas mileage when not towing my trailer, but where you have a bedcover you won't see any difference. I've also seen some that can put attachments into the center cutout allowing you to have a fully locked tailgate just like stock, but those are spendy.

Another person commented on myth busters claiming that gas mileage was better with tailgate up. That works for that specific model of truck (I believe that they had a Ford Explorer SportTrac) that has a miniature bed. Those trucks probably benefit with the physics that they describe, but my long bed truck has completely different physics. My tailgate acts like a huge air dam. Any better fuel economy is worth it.
I was thinking the same thing. How can a truck with a reg cab, extra cab or crew cab with different size boxes be the same.

As to the OP's question I don't have one but on our last trip did remove the tailgate and really liked not having to worry about it. Just not sure if it's worth the money. I like just taking the tailgate off.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:27 AM   #10

I have never used stock Tail gates on my trucks. Make my own heavier dory then original using flat expanded metal.
It is much more usefully then the stock one.
The reason an open tg is harder on fuel is the vaccum created behind the cab. But with 5er the vacuum don't exist and air flows around the top and bottom freely.
Realty noticed the power difference when used on my 1/4 Ranger towing our 24ft 5th.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #11

Had 4 pickups pulled with original gate and with modified louvered gate, didn't see much difference in mileage with either gate, lousy either way. Had a custom bed cover with snaps all around, it would snap on regular gate and louvered gate.
Put the louvered gate on after I did the "classic", lower the gate down to hitch up, leave it down, drive off. That first corner is a bitch as the gate slices through the front compartment doors.
Look at guys pulling with pickups, if you see a dent in the top of the gate, you can say, "aha, drove off with the gate down, didn't you". Louvered gates have a notch for the passage of the king pin with the gate up.

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl View Post
My tailgate acts like a huge air dam. Any better fuel economy is worth it.
I was of the same opinion until reading the full report (not on Myth busters) from tests on several different trucks in wind tunnel tests. These were not pigmy trucks but full size, long bed as used to haul large loads. The best mileage is gained by having a cover over the bed starting at the roof and sloping to the tail gate. (Hmmm, maybe that is why they race trucks with that setup.) The second best was using a normal bed cover. The next best setup was using a standard tailgate. If the tailgate is down, there is more vacuum developed behind the cab reducing the mileage. When it is up, it is the closest thing to the bed cover creating a pocket of air in the bed mimicing the bed cover. Hence, best mileage was found using a solid tailgate in the up position as compared to leaving the tailgate down or using the vented tailgate. None of this applies when towing due to the many different configurations of front caps, heights, distance to the bed, etc. Hence, no conclusions were reached on any further tests towing.

Bob
Old 05-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
GMC tests also prove tailgate up is best.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Now, what everyone is forgetting, is the change in airflow due to the front of the 5er being over the centerline of the rear axle. You will find that the tailgate acts as an airdam, the louvered tailgate does make a difference in mileage while towing, it relieves the high pressure pocket that is caused at the back of the bed with the solid tailgate. I have gained over 1/2 mpg with the louvered over standard on 2 different trucks and 2 different 5ers. Removing the tailgate altogether yeilded less than 3/4 mpg over the standard. These numbers were hand calculated over multiple 4 to 500 mile trips.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote