Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2021, 02:52 AM   #29

RV GPS is good, make sure it's updated, especially if the road has been repaved.
krunsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2021, 06:21 AM   #30

I have this little gauge that I sit on that tightens up every time I approach a low hanging wire, branch or suspicious overpass.
SnowNCycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:45 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowNCycle View Post
I have this little gauge that I sit on that tightens up every time I approach a low hanging wire, branch or suspicious overpass.
Cajun Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:49 AM   #32

Now that is funny!!!!!!!
Cajun Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:08 AM   #33

Practice Eyeballing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisok View Post
The system that I am familure with is the https://giraffeg4.com/.

I dont use one but i have a Rand Mcnally motor carriers atlas. It has clearence info throughout u.s. on each state.

I believe rv trip wizard allows you to run routes and put in your clearence info. It routes around low clearence points.

Many truckers gps systems auto route you around low clearence points.

You can also get a list of clearences at
https://member.coach-net.com.

There are a couple of trucking apps for your phone that include info.

Measure your clearence while hitched on your truck. Dont depend on factory specifications. I have that height printed on my windshield. Even though I know height, I always look at sticker to verifly clearence every time I see a low clearence sign.

A neighbor took a trip to South Dakota and took out his roof. About $15k to fix. It was his first major trip. Skinned all AC units off and caused damage to roof.

It's nothing that time and money can't fix.
We were checking out a place for fishing but didn’t think about how fast a tree branch grows and gets heavy year-by-year. We cracked the bathroom vent hood and the dome over the shower skylight. Replacing them are gonna be bear.

It’s good to remember approximate clearance to avoid those low hanging branches.
mcclLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:57 PM   #34

Well, that could come in handy!
I visit elderly shut-ins.
One old gal is perpetually losing her uppers.
She tried all the usual denture adhesives, but seems resigned to keep a hand hovering near her chin during any conversations involving the possibility of laughter.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:41 PM   #35

Excel Owners Club
I do not trust the roadway bridge clearance signs to be anywhere near accurate. They do not always change the signs immediately after resurfacing a roadway. Our trailer height is 12'7". I set my Garmin RV 760 to 13'6" giving me just shy of a 17" buffer for the Federal minimal bridge height limit of 14' and 11" buffer for a bridge that is 13'6". Any lower that 13'6", I will try to bypass the bridge.

I did notice that in Texas, the regulations show a 3" buffer built into the signage. If the actual measurement was 15'9", the sign would show the clearance as 15'6". However, I still wouldn't trust the sign even with the extra 3". My trailer wouldn't cause much damage to the bridge, but it could total my trailer.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclLN View Post
We were checking out a place for fishing but didn’t think about how fast a tree branch grows and gets heavy year-by-year. We cracked the bathroom vent hood and the dome over the shower skylight. Replacing them are gonna be bear.

It’s good to remember approximate clearance to avoid those low hanging branches.
Replacing those is very easy to do. Very easy.
ItalGerBrit is offline   Reply With Quote