Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2018, 09:58 AM   #1

Angry Low clearance bridges

Has anyone ever used the lowclearance.com app ?
We have a fifth wheel that is 13'6" tall...and we are looking for an continuously updated appthat will help us to navigate our routes around the US and Canada.
We dont want to become a statistic.
Any tried and true methods would be helpful..
Thank you!
3411TK
3411tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #2

Pay attention to 'SIGNAGE' along side of roadways

Interstates......no issues
Secondary/back roads low bridges/overpasses/trestles are typically clearly marked PRIOR to encounter so an alternate route can be taken

7 yrs we FTd traveling all over the USA rarely taking any Interstates....2nd/back roads majority of our travels towing a 13'4" 5vr (actual measured height while hookup up---not a brochure number)

Only twice did we encounter a poorly marked low clearance issue.....One sign was missing --other one a tree/bush obscured the sign'
It was obvious they were too low/so we turned around and went a different way

Motto:
LOOK UP
Pay attention to driving
When in DOUBT---Turn ABOUT
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #3

I have not used that app and I will look into it, thanks. We use a Good Sam GPS 7735 LM that has height, width, length and weight of the tow vehicle and rig and it’s been great thus far. We are 13’4”, and made it under a posted 13’6” railroad trestle in MO, inside our first 90 days with the rig. We were gritting our teeth as we went under. I thought we were 13’3” at the time, but later found out with the forward AC option, that adds 1”!

Also there is a Giraffe G4 device you mount on the TV that sells for about $225 and you have to go slow when approaching a suspected low clearance object for it to display height. And unfortunately, it cannot detect an overhead wire. It needs surface reflectivity.
dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:24 AM   #4

Hi , never used an app but we are 13’5”
Get a laminated Truckers Atlas at any truck stop.
We run an RV gps also, I compare routes and sometimes use google earth to look at our destination.
Enjoy your travels!
2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm actually still Manwithnorv so I have no experience with an actual RV (ordered one due in March)….BUT I purchased a Garmin 770 RV GPS unit and tested it. It allows you to enter the height, length, etc of the RV. After doing so, I used the unit in RV Mode and drove toward a railway underpass that is about 10'. It alerted us multiple times to use other routes to avoid that road, but when I ignored it, it did not say, "danger Will Robinson"...stop...do not proceed. Instead I drove right under the underpass. So, I plan to use multiple sources to help me. My main concern isn't so much that I'll drive under an underpass, it's more that I won't be able to turn around. Also, more likely to get a tree limb in a campground which just requires being always aware, which isn't my strong suit.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I downloaded the Low Clearance database to my RM RVND7720.

I update it once per season. So far haven’t needed it. It has warned me of low clearances on roads near my planned route but I have yet to encounter a a low clearance on the planned route.

When I first downloaded 5 years ago or so, I put the RVND in my car and drove a back road I knew to have an 11’ clearance and it alerted me to it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:44 PM   #7

Truckers Path is the app I use.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:27 PM   #8

Buy a truckers Atlas. Available at truck stops. Around $15 it the front it will have a state by state breakdown on bridge heights. All low bridges and what hiway they are on . Makes for easy planning. Always carry a truckers Atlas . Use it for route planning along with your GPS. If your GPS ever takes a dump you always have the Atlas .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:18 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I downloaded the Low Clearance database to my RM RVND7720.

I update it once per season. So far haven’t needed it. It has warned me of low clearances on roads near my planned route but I have yet to encounter a a low clearance on the planned route.

When I first downloaded 5 years ago or so, I put the RVND in my car and drove a back road I knew to have an 11’ clearance and it alerted me to it.
I have also used the Low Clearance program for many years (lifetime member) for Garmin, Rand, Google and Streets & Trips. I even sent info for low clearances that were not in their databases, which they did add once they verified them.

Their website claims the latest update was March 2018. However if you look at the dates of the .CSV files (at least for the programs listed above) you will see they are all dated July 2016. I have emailed them, but can't get a straight answer.

I do most of my driving in the western states, and still find the data provided useful, particularly using S&T and Google, but there's no point in running any updates since there is nothing to update until/unless they build new databases.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:02 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
13' 6" is pretty tall. How did you measure that?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #11

I travel over 13ft pretty frequently. In no way would i use any program like that as the end all be all. My experiences are similar to above. Low clearances are usually well posted and ill usually run out of tonage before i run out of clearance.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #12

Low clearance bridges is one worry. But fir me, I never got use to low hanging lines and tree branches.

13.5' is high.

Not sure it is true but I always felt if a tractor-trailer made it so would my 5th wheel.

I like the idea of using a trucker app.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #13

App I use: Copilot
Tdave is offline   Reply With Quote