Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
The lot across the street is to small to build on as it is less then a 1/8 acre and has 2 rightaways through it. You couldn't put a dog house on it. Got it so cheap the land transfer fee was more then the land.

He now has a lot of problems as the house he is building is not finished and the inspector was there all afternoon. It did not pay to yell and cuss out the inspector and his supervisor. This will cost him in the long run. I think they pulled his building permit until he fixes what they said is wrong.

He did come down and cuss me out last night as I was having drinks with some neighbors on of witch it a cop. He is not going to fit in here.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #16

I'm making some popcorn, as I WILL be watching this drama play out!

More fun........

Pop
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Sounds like your new "neighbor" is about to learn an expensive lesson about messing with us good ole boys! I can't imagine what it's gonna cost him to finish that house, but it'll probably be the best built house in the county!!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #18

Tug, I hope this works out for you. We had problems with a neighbor when we were building (pulled out survey stakes because he knew they were wrong). After it cost me $1200 for a resurvey, the deputy I called stopped by and explained to him that it is against the law to remove markers set by a licensed surveyor. I guess he decided I was an OK guy when the deputy told him I could have gotten him locked up but all I wanted was for him to stop.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
You should point out to him that you may have saved him a large lawsuit - imagine if a fire occurred further down the road, the fire department responded, and either
a: stopped and didn't respond to the fire because they couldn't get there, leaving all the liability for any damage or death on the part of the party blocking the right of way
b: didn't stop and one of the firemen was electrocuted when the truck took down the wire.

Of course, a simple truck delivery or moving van in/out would have the same effect, although less dramatic...
Old 04-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I do not understand how he had the money to buy the lot across the street specifically to erect a pole but he did not have the money to do it right and run it under the road. Theren are boring machines that can run a line under the road without cutting the surface. This world would be a nice place to live if it wasn't for all the people :-)
Boring under the road may have not been the better option. The expense would have been much greater and the permits necessary from the road owner (county, state, township, HOA) could get pretty complex.

The simple solution would be to raise the wire. This could be done by simply bolting vertical cross arms to the top of the pole. Of course, if he had installed the correct length pole to begin, we would not be enjoying all the drama.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just reread the OP. OP'er says it is not a county or state road. Someone owns it. I wonder if he sought permission to cross the road.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post

Boring under the road may have not been the better option. The expense would have been much greater and the permits necessary from the road owner (county, state, township, HOA) could get pretty complex.

The simple solution would be to raise the wire. This could be done by simply bolting vertical cross arms to the top of the pole. Of course, if he had installed the correct length pole to begin, we would not be enjoying all the drama.
The way I read the background of this story It is a private road in a community that has underground utilities. The permit process is no more expensive then erecting overhead wires and poles both require a permit. I have bored under roads before and it is not that costly v/s poles of the proper height. Now this person has no electric because the county cut the wire because it was not per code no permit and it was blocking easement.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I missed the underground utility part

Quote:
The way I read the background of this story It is a private road in a community that has underground utilities. The permit process is no more expensive then erecting overhead wires and poles both require a permit. I have bored under roads before and it is not that costly v/s poles of the proper height. Now this person has no electric because the county cut the wire because it was not per code no permit and it was blocking easement.
I've done it both ways. Without access to directional drilling equipment, poles would be less expensive. IMHO.

I retired after 41 years working for the power company just north of you in Dayton.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #24

Tugboat, you made my day. Nice to see the neighborhood thug got what he deserved.
KOTR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #25

Quote:
I've done it both ways. Without access to directional drilling equipment, poles would be less expensive. IMHO.

I retired after 41 years working for the power company just north of you in Dayton.
If you are from Dayton then you must know Indian Lake. In the past 20 years I have built two vacation homes on the lake and both required to bring power from the other side of the road. Found it faster and less expensive to bore under the road then to get permission to dig up the road and then make it right again. I know, I purchased land on the wrong side of the road, twice!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
If you are from Dayton then you must know Indian Lake.
Yes, I know Indian Lake/Russels Point pretty well. My folks had a place on Tecumseh Island for many years. I also spent a considerable amount time there during my last few years in the utility business.

Even though you bored the road rather than open cut, you still were required to get a permit. Correct?
Old 05-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #27

Not all NYs are that bad...
Old 05-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Yes, I know Indian Lake/Russels Point pretty well. My folks had a place on Tecumseh Island for many years. I also spent a considerable amount time there during my last few years in the utility business.

Even though you bored the road rather than open cut, you still were required to get a permit. Correct?
Permits were required regardless but cutting the road was much more involved and due to the requirement to return the road to it's original condition and to coordinate with the county, etc. it was as. if not more, expensive and much more of a PITA

There were a couple of companies that specialized in boring under the road so it really was not too big a deal.

Tags
power