Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2022, 02:08 PM   #1

Lube plate

When I was transporting RVs I had three different lube plates, now that I own a 5th wheel I can't find a single one of them.
So, went to Amazon to order one and had no idea there was such a dizzying array of lube plates to choose from!
Right off the bat I had to decide between 10" and 12" - I don't know, I think the ones I had were all 10" and they worked just fine. But hey, what do I know? So I run outside and measure my skid plate. It's 12" from edge to edge so I guess I need a 12" lube plate. Then it starts to get interesting. There's one for 37 bucks and change then a Curt for $11.80 and others more expensive and also cheaper.
So now I have to ask - what's the difference?
Is there one that is going to stay put and not fall off or wear out or break or whatever bad things lube plates can do that I'm unaware of? Is there a fan favorite out there that I can order and be confident I'm getting the best value?

And here I thought a lube plate was just a lube plate...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2022, 02:37 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've got my lube plate about 4 years ago. I have the B&W turnover/Companion and a Morryde pin box. I called B&W for thier recommendation, and closest dealer to me. Unfortunately, I don't remember a part number, but I haven't had any problems with it. Still stays on the pin. Maybe try contacting you hitch manufacturer for thier suggestion. I still grease the pin, jaws and pivot points on the hitch, but its nice not having to grease up the plate.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:18 PM   #3

Absolutely. The first time I ever used this hitch I simply greased the skid plate and it still scratched the surface. From that point on I used a lube plate. As I noted at one point I had three of them. I know I gave one to one of the kids and might have given another to a friend but I thought I had another in the basement. I have no idea where I got them from in the first place. I think they were all rather generic.
Looking at Amazon there is a Curt plate with grooves in it that people seem to think helps keep things cleaner. Based on your experience with a plate lasting four years so far, it seems I can order with confidence.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:56 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
...Is there a fan favorite out there that I can order and be confident I'm getting the best value?

And here I thought a lube plate was just a lube plate...

Not sure if it is a fan favorite, but this is what I run and am happy with it. Skid plate still looks like new mostly. Grips pin and stays put. https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/pro...ite-lube-plate

I keep a cheapie in the bay too as a backup just in case. I'll reorder the above as my primary, though, in the event I need to.