Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #1

Lurching with Air Ride

Just bought a new 2015 Redwood with Air Ride. I'd heard so many good things about the improved ride resulting from this product.

For some reason the lurching seems worse. I believe the air pressure is adjusted correctly. The ride is fine in most instances but when we hit a bad section of the highway, it can get pretty scary.

Going 60 MPH, pulling with a Ford 350 dually.

Any suggestions?
gcakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #2

I don't know about Air Ride, but when I bought our 5th wheel it had the Reese Airborne hitch. Towing our new trailer the short distance home was not fun. Lots of lurching and chucking. I found out the AB hitch should have been adjusted for my pin weight, it was set to the max 4000# and had 90 psi. I adjusted the pin wt setting and trail and error indicated about 55 psi in the airbag was about right.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #3

Can I assume you are talking about a Lippert Trailair Air-Ride?

Air Ride Pin Boxes - Towing

If so, we had the same on our rig. Worked well for up and down, did nothing for chucking (lurching). It was so awful, I swore off Interstates. Felt like the trailer was fighting to stay with us.

We were at the Coachmen annual rally and Lippert gave us such a good price, we sprung for the Trailair Tri-Glide.

Ultra-Fab Trailair Tri-Glide Air Ride 5th Wheel King Pin - Lippert 1621 - 18,000 lbs Ultra-Fab Products Fifth Wheel King Pin UF35-946229

We found the chucking much reduced. Not completely gone, but still, much, much better. I am willing to go back on the interstates now with this pin box. Wife and I looked at each other on I-69 and smiled. Now that is saying something.

I run the bladders at 70 - 75 lbs to get as much movement without bottoming out or defeating the purpose by being rock hard.

There are other pin boxes, hitches, truck and trailer suspension upgrades that may also work, but I can only give my opinion on these two pin boxes.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #4

I would suggest you look at Hensley TrailerSaver air hitch.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:57 AM   #5

Trailair Tri-Glide

Yes, we have the Trail Air Tri-Glide. Spoke to the dealer. They offered little help and referred me to Lippert.

Lippert recommended we grease the Tri-Glide unit and said to check the air pressure in the bladder. Said most units our size run the bladders at 70-75 PSI.

Checked it this weekend and found it set at 30 PSI.

It concerns me that dealer QC continues to disappoint. Also concerns me that the instructions printed on the outside of the unit, says inflate to "here" (with an arrow). The bladder was inflated to that level, yet it was obviously wrong by a significant amount.

I really need to adjust my expectations (down) for the RV industry; both the dealers and manufacturers.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:23 AM   #6

You will find that the bladders lose air overtime, worse than tires. Check it every time, before you hook up to ensure proper air pressure.

Also, be sure to grease all nine fittings every 500 to 1000 miles. It is the grease that provides the anti-chucking properties. You cannot overfill, or blow out, the grease fittings. They are designed to be overfilled.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #7

Wingedone....

Thanks very much. Very constructive feedback. Wish the RV dealer and/or the Lippert would have been as informative.

Really appreciate you, and everyone else on this site, who respond and are so helpful.