Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #1

Luxe or DRV suites

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some info on the luxe and DRV suites seen lots of videos. Was just wondering what build quality is like and what size Truck to haul the 3 axel units thx in advance clint
clint1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Three axles means 24K gross weight on the axles plus what is on the 5th wheel. I can't find those numbers but I'll bet it is 4000 or more lbs which puts you at 28K total payload for the truck. When I was shopping the only truck that I would consider for pulling this was a RAM 3500 with a Cummins and an AISIN transmission with a 31K towing capacity. Even then the truck was going to be operating pretty close to it's max capacity. Ended up opting for a Class A. A lot of people will overload their trucks and get away with it but remember that truck has to stop that trailer too and if you are overloaded things are going to go very badly for you in an emergency.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:52 PM   #3

CruizerEd thx for the come back . I was thinking Ford f450 but not checked on the weights for this truck. Now you have got me thinking more about a class A
Old 02-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #4

I have a 2017 ford f450 and pull a 2100 lb fith wheel with no problems. It is rated to pull 32,000 thousand pounds.
mgard64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #5

That trailer will have disc brakes and will stop itself just great
Remember with a new truck and a high end fifth wheel about 200,000. Brand new. You need to look closely at what type of class a you will get new for the same money.
Insurance costs registration costs and maintenance should all go into the equation when weighing which way to go .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:15 PM   #6

Both of these trailers are high end as you know. The DRV is rated to live in full time. My friend has a DRV and pulls it with a F350 DRW with no issues. He does have a Curt 24k fifth wheel hitch also.
DWC521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #7

Great info guys
Old 02-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #8

This truck will tow what you are looking for within axle and tow ratings. RAM/CUMMINS/AISIN 33K combined in pic.

Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #9

Cummins12v98 thx what is the AISIN Is that a different transmission thx clint
Old 02-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
That trailer will (should) have disc brakes and will stop itself just great
Remember with a new truck and a high end fifth wheel about 200,000. Brand new. You need to look closely at what type of class a you will get new for the same money.
Insurance costs registration costs and maintenance should all go into the equation when weighing which way to go .
We enjoy FT'ing in our DRV. We also see many other DRV owners doing so. We've not seen or experienced enough LUXe coaches to form a meaningful opinion but do suspect they are great coaches.

You'll need to do your own due diligence on weight ratings of the coach you contemplate. Much like Cummins12V98 we do very well with a combined 28-30K # and a 3500 DRW. ymmv.

Happy trails
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint1507 View Post
BTW;
The Aisin is an optional model Japanese medium-duty truck transmission, found in delivery / commercial cab/chassis'.

So when combined with a medium-duty truck engine (Cummins), you end up with a light-duty P/U truck with an overbuilt drivetrain. A winning combo IMHO.

The Aisin AS69RC is a 6 speed automatic transmission offered in the 2013 Ram HD. It is similar in design to the AS68RC, which was only available in chassis cab Rams mated to the 6.7L Cummins. The AS69RC is one of three transmissions offered for 2013, and will be standard on the high output version (385 hp/850 lb-ft) of the 6.7L Cummins. The transmission is larger and more robust than both the AS68RC and 68RFE. Ram claims the transmission has a 64% higher input torque capacity than the 68RFE. It is manufactured by Aison Seiki, a Japanese automotive parts supplier. Though actual input torque capacity is unknown, its application suggests it will be in the 850-950 lb-ft range. For comparison, the AS68RC has a max input capacity of 750 lb-ft. The AS69RC also replaces the AS68RC in chassis cab models for 2013. Its wide ratio spread provides low gearing for tow applications, while a relatively high 0.63 second overdrive keeps engine rpm low at highway speeds to maximize fuel economy."

Happy trails
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint1507 View Post

Yes the AISIN is a true Medium Duty transmission. It has lower starting gears. I can start out on a grade and it simply accelerates with no axle wrap or groaning. If buying a RAM 3500 I highly recommend the AISIN. It drives like a built trans with a tight converter and very firm shifts.

The AISIN is Made in USA. The current Cummins/AISIN combo have 385HP and 900TQ.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #13

I am going to be the contrarian here.....we owned a 2014 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3. Loved the layout and the amenities....thought we were buying a high quality unit that had a good company behind it.

We had lots of fit and finish problems when it was new. After 1 year, the seams in the roof (inside) had come loose and were hanging down. DRV refused a warranty claim.

We had a leaking hub that took 4 or 5 attempts to fix...maybe not a DRV issue, but an issue for us.

We had a wooden desk top next to the fireplace in the LR area that warped badly after 1 year. DRV rerfused warranty repair.

We had a sewer smell in the coach after 1 year. DRV refused a warranty claim.

However, the DRV was a wonderful coach from the standpoing of room and floorplan. We had 4 adults staying in it for a full month and we had plenty of room. The floorplan was a great full time plan....we only, lived in it for 3 months while waiting on our house to be finished.

The frame was solid and with the extra thick walls in the DRV, it was extremely energy efficient and will keep you warm or cool when the neighbors might be suffering.

Ours was around 17,500# loaded and we pulled it with a Ram dually. It pulled straight and true with no issues.

Woiuld I buy another one....NO! I had my fill, but even the high end builders have bad days. I was more let down by the attitude of DRV than the issues in teh coach.

We just purchased a new Arctic Fox. Northwood is a local company to us and has a reputation of taking care of their customers. So far I am ber happy with the new coach. It is much better from a fit and finish standpoint. I hope it does not need any work after 1 year.l Time will tell I guess.

FWIW...

And just to add, I think the OP should do his due dilligence and make an informed decision. Our experience is not the norm with DRV I do not believe. Although, since they were bought out, I think their committment to quality has been reduced. Tough for a company like that to be absorbed by a larger company like Thor and not change.
rampowerwago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 PM   #14

Check the pin weight of the 5th wheel and the loaded weight of your truck. It is very likely that the first rating that you will exceed will be the payload of the tow vehicle, not the tow rating or axle ratings.
Dranoel is offline   Reply With Quote