Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 05:18 AM   #1

Maintaining Battery Charge

I have what may be a dumb newbie question for all of the more experienced and knowlegable RV'rs out there. If you don't have access to a 30 amp plug in at your home how do you keep and maintain a charge for your RV batteries? Thank you all in advance for any help and guidance you can provide.
dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 05:23 AM   #2

Im plugged into a regular 15 amp plug. This keeps the house batteries charged and food in the fridge cold. I put the chassis batteries on an external battery charger as needed from time to time as they dont get charged from shore power.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:32 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do the same as Monacoach, except I don't always have great success when the MH is plugged into a GFCI. Something in the MH seems to trip it.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:39 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Where ever the coach is plugged in, I just use this small solar panel that I attach to the front grill of my coach and connect it to the chassis battery.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/co...l#.VbN0zdJ_Oko
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #5

I use an adapter from the 30A plug to a 20A regular plug and plug it into an extension cord and then into an outlet in the garage. That will (in my case) charge the batteries from shore power, allow me to run the A/C, ceiling fan, etc., including the ridge. The 20A circuit is just adequate for the minimum power requirements - no TV (or TV and no A/C), no microwave - just charging the batteries and keeping the fridge cold. If it runs the A/C, all the better, but it may take some power management to get things that you want, i.e., turn off the A/C so you can use the microwave and vice versa. If your rig doesn't have the adapter, they can be found at the camping parts places, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. I know of no rig that doesn't charge the batteries while on shore power.

That is the scenario when parked in the street getting ready to go. When parked in the yard I have a 30A circuit that I trenched in to the parking area and I leave it plugged in 24/7, with everything off - it keeps the batteries charged and a fan running to keep the humidity at bay. When I go out to the trailer to get it ready or whatever I turn on the A/C and whatever else for comfort while I'm out there.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:01 AM   #6

You need this:

Camco 55223

15 Amps would be enough for most things except A/C.

A lot of parks I visit only have 15 amp service (the standard residential plug) so this is a must-have item.
PointyWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:00 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
If you're looking to do a cool modification, put a solar panel on your roof. We ordered ours as a factory option but they make kits to add. While 160 watts isn't enough to run the trailer, it does a great job of keeping our 2 6V batteries charged at home and helps replenish them while dry camping.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:43 AM   #8

Perhaps a better way to maintain the batteries is to use something like this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15779492

I use this on my fifth wheel with two batteries and my motorcycles. Maintains and conditions your batteries.
Using the trailer converter will provide a constant charge but never conditions the batteries. Plus you we running and expensive converter instead of a cheap battery tender
My batteries are always fully charged
Cvsteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #9

Evergreen Owners Club
This thing about these maintenance chargers supposedly "conditioning" the battery is a bunch of BS. Won't do any different than the solar charger. And if you are boondocking that solar charger is a life saver!
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery