Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #15

Over the years we have talked a great deal about a MH vs. a 5th. For our life style the 5th is the answer. One reason is we only travel 2 to 3 months of the year. The rest of the time the 5th is in storage. To get what we would like in a MH it would mean a lot of money tied up in something that is not used much.

If you are spending a week or more in one spot the setup and then later hooking up to leave is such a small part of time spent not worth considering IMO.

We stop every few hours to run the dogs, get a drink, make a sandwich, enjoy the view, use the potty, whatever. Not being able to walk down the hall while on the road is not something we have even thought about. We are what is called "slow travelers".

Maintenance and breakdown, a failure on the road, can be much more expensive with a MH as unless you have the right kind of insurance. Tires which need to not get too old, can be something to consider when it comes to cost. Oil change for my diesel truck, with my own oil and filter, is 19.95. Wonder what a regular service for a MH might be given the local car person cannot do it, normally.

When it comes to the tow capacity of a truck, there is plenty of information and advice here if you search around. And to be safe you need to do your homework. And if you are in an accident, hopefully not, and you are not within limits you could be sued and that could have a really bad outcome.

If you do not own a truck then one thing to consider is finding a previously owned rig you really like and save a few buck to put toward the truck that will do the job.

Have fun,

GT
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermark View Post
The new tradition has only 1 floor plan that allows you to get to the bath with the slides in.
Also look at Carriages they made there own frames. I don't think any other company made the frames like they did.
All 5vers I've seen/had you can stop and potty!

I agree if you park a MH very long you could have a problem. and that was told to me by a MH dealer.

Good luck.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #17

We are not necessarily looking for new, just something with hydraulic levelIng system. Spoiled after the motor honor
fishermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermark View Post
We are not necessarily looking for new, just something with hydraulic levelIng system. Spoiled after the motor honor
I agree! We love our big foot for our Carriage.
It don't take us long to pack up and go, if we every get in a hurry.

Happy hunting
Old 11-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #19

We struggled with the MH/TT/5thW decision for months and settled on a used 5th wheel and truck due to our limited budget. For the money, it offered the most living & storage space and stability on the road. I can do all the maintenance on my truck and 5th wheel myself, I don't think a MH would fit on my hoist and access to maintenance and repair can be a PITA on a MH. We outgrew our small 5th wheel and upsized but kept our TV for now, can't do that with a MH. In the off season, I still have a truck I can drive around while the 5th wheel rests. We have done about 24K miles of long coast to coast trips, shorter 2-3 week jaunts and lots of weekends at the coast and mountains since we're 1-2 hours from both. I take my time hooking up and unhooking, takes about 25-30 minutes, I could probably do it in 15 minutes but why rush things if you don't need to. I typically get 11.5-12.7 mpg calculated on diesel. I wouldn't consider any other RV for our individual needs. I would take a close look at Northwood Arctic Fox, we liked our first one so much we stayed with the brand.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #20

great topic

I wish some of the folks who posted in the TT Vs. Motorhome debate could see some of the responses here.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #21

When I bought my rv in 1994 Diesel was in the stone age. Had I bought a MH, I would have been stuck with an antique engine and trans. With a 5r you can update the tow vehicle as I have done. My 2001 TV is more economical than the 2013 dodge and still in good shape.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #22

I always have the chance to check the TV on the road before towing the RV.

The MH is parked most of the time and only chance of breakdown is on the road on vacation.

But leveling systems on MH are better and much safer. I personally opt out of it on 5th wheels because I have been leveling my unit I so little time and efforts. Most pads are level anyway side to side. Front to back is so eazy with the landing gear. Hardly any maintenance required and cheaper. Also much liter.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #23

Take a look at Continental Coach, they are a full-custom unit built like a tank. Several model lines and price points. We researched all of the major full-time units--New Horizons, Spacecraft, DRV, etc but after one visit to the Continental Coach factory the decision was obvious. Craftsmanship like no other fifth wheel.

http://www.forksrv.com/continental/index.php
12 Tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #24

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
... I think there is perhaps more work with a 5vr, not a lot but hooking up for travel and unhooking process is what I am talking about. Only takes me about 10 minutes but that is 10 minutes you don't spend with a MH. ...
Unless the fellow with the MH has a toad. Then, from what I've seen, it's a wash time wise.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
I think there is perhaps more work with a 5vr, not a lot but hooking up for travel and unhooking process is what I am talking about. Only takes me about 10 minutes but that is 10 minutes you don't spend with a MH.
Actually, if we're just overnighting, I don't even unhitch. Just drop the jacks, hook up the utilities, run out the slides and that's it. In that situation, I'd say the time spent is a wash.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #26

I spend the weekend in Pigeon Forge and around me was mostly similar sized large units. Next to me was a 30ft high end unit towed with a nice Ford duelly.

He came to me and asked me one question.
How old is your unit and does it stay together well.
I told him in four years no problems.
He answered back that he had one of those heavy MS (exact word ) and it was always breaking down, couldn't keep it on the road long.
I answered "Really"
Then we talked a while and he told me he was a retired paster.
Nice old fellow.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
We are actually considering going this route as well. We have a 2007 Eagle and every time we head out there just seems to be a problem. I know that there will be problems with any type of coach but I feel like they would be easier and cheaper to fix with a 5th wheel. We are looking at the Heartland Cyclone 4100 King, and I have found several used Ford F450 diesels that are very reasonable. This will be a huge change for my family. I feel like it is a little selfish on my part. I just drive so sitting in a truck or a coach is no different for me. They will now have to be buckled in and I am not sure if they will enjoy traveling as much any more.
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
That be tough to me 2 be in a wreck in a MH and not buckled in!
I could always see where it be nice being able to get up and go potty
or firg, of course not for the driver.
Do they have it where every one can be buckled in?
It always amazed me that school bus don't have seat belts.
That be a good reason not to MH if that's the case.

Tags
5th wheel